Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Initial visits to gun stores bear an unpleasant similarity to visiting car lots. Pushy & often surprisingly ignorant is often the order of the day. When you find a place that breaks with that model, reward them.

That said, a customer can minimize the problems by thinking about their appearance and attitude. Sorry, but if a customer looks and sounds like a dumbass, they can expect to be treated that way. Fair or not, that's reality. Young folks have more than their fair share of dumbasses. It's an age old problem that transcends the generations. Make an effort to visibly break ranks with the idiots in your peer group and you're money ahead already.

Then of course there is what appears to be the "crusty old b@$tard" rule. All gun shops seemingly must have on staff at least one (more are preferred, when available) "crusty old b@$tard" who "walked 10 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways," when he was your age. The lower your age or experience level, the better the odds this is the guy who will speak to you first.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #72

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

It's not about respect. It's about making heads or tails of what someone is talking about.
Agreed. We're not asking you to be an English major. We're just asking you to use a period and a comma every once in a while so we can understand what the hell you're saying.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #73

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
On one hand the GS employees deal with untold numbers of DB's who spend 19 hours a day playing COD and other 1st person shooter games. They get very tiresomw.

On the other hand, many GS employees are genuine azzhats.
IME, gun stores seem to draw employees with, to be kind, frayed

patience. They are not very good about handling the next customer

after a 20 minute go-round with some CODers.

My first impulse was to say "Don't ever buy from someone

mistreating you."

But it would also help to recognize when some one is stressed,

VS simply verbally abusing you for no reason, whatsoever.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2527 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

I'm 53 years old, I've bought "several" guns in my life time & I still get talked down to by certain LGS employees. I think the pistola on their hip makes them feel 10' tall & bulletproof, along with being the smartest guys in the building!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #75

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
punctuation.

The difference in helping your uncle jack, off his horse.

To helping your uncle jack off his horse.

Lmao

lol hahaha :d

Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #76

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

I understand the feeling. Only at one store have i walked in and was ignored. I was looking for a shotgun, walked around the place twice and noticed that 4 people saw me and turned away. Finally one lady was nice enough to ask how i was doing. I told her the truth. I had $1500 in my wallet ready to buy if i liked anything i had seen. Thats how you ruin sales, lost me forever.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #77

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole View Post
I'm not just gazing and it's not that hard to convince me to buy something else. I have the money.
Tell them that. I know it sounds weird, but this happened to me...sort of, when I was 22 at a big name furniture store...it's a long story, but the ending of it is once I made it know "You will take me seriously" after being intentionally ignored, several times, I finally got some respect.

I ended up buying from their competition across the street out of spite, but they still changed their tone as soon as I did mine.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #78
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8065

Maybe this is a situation where being female is a benefit in dealing with businesses. I have always been treated kindly, with respect and politeness in a gun store.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #79
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Maybe this is a situation where being female is a benefit in dealing with businesses. I have always been treated kindly, with respect and politeness in a gun store.
IF you are taken seriously, then Yes, women are treated better than a young person. Age of the female us taken into account, but they are always afraid this is a big spenders girlfriend, so they err on the side of caution.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #80

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Default NC gun shops...

I understand (and feel for) your situation.... although I've crossed over into "old goat" territory some time ago, I remember being young and people treating me as you've described. The best thing to do is remain calm, polite and respectful... Take the high road and make them the problem, not yourself. If they pi$$ you off enough, vote with your feet and dollars and find a business that will value you.

You might want to read through this thread also; http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f146/north-carolina-gun-shops-66027/ ..It might help you find that "special" little dealer just for you. Always remember that we here at FTF value and respect someone who truly contributes here as well... Good luck and safe shooting.

Last edited by NC1760; 07-13-2013 at 01:51 AM.