Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8583 Times on 4957 Posts
Likes Given: 11147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole View Post
Sorry I worded that statement wrong. I do know what I'm talking about and not trying to act more knowledgeable than I am. I am quick to admit when I don't know something about guns because I genuinely want to learn about all guns. I would love to ask but how do you know the sales person you're asking is knowledgeable about what you're asking and not just making stuff up.
You don't. That is how they can build your respect. There are two sides to that coin. If they are not being truthful you should be able to spot it. If it sounds like BS, don't call them on it until you know enough to be able to do so knowledgeably. Just nod your head and listen.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #42
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole View Post
I would love to ask but how do you know the sales person you're asking is knowledgeable about what you're asking and not just making stuff up.
Go in having done your research if possible, so you have a pretty good idea about what you're looking for. If you get turned on to something you don't know much about, get the info from the salesman, tell them you need to look into it a little more and that you'll be back tomorrow. Do your research, then actually show up tomorrow and tell him your decision either way. That way he'll know your seriously looking, you can talk intelligently about why you chose not to purchase something, and hopefully you'll have a lead on something else you want to look at. If it turns out the salesman was jacking you around, politely call him on it stating you couldn't find any information on his claim but found these other facts. You are in no obligation to work with a specific salesman - find someone else first and see if they will talk straight with you. Remember, it's a sellers market right now - buyers are a dime a dozen, and they are used to having noobs walk in their store (everyone was a noob once - remember that). All buyers are idiots until proven otherwise in this market. Sad, but I think true. Not the best way to do business either in the long run.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #43

Liked 1936 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Don't think it's just because your young. I've met quite a few folks who work in GS's who think everyone is an idiot until they get to know them.
Here lately I am starting to think that everyone who works in a gun store is an idiot until I get to know them!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Go in having done your research if possible, so you have a pretty good idea about what you're looking for. If you get turned on to something you don't know much about, get the info from the salesman, tell them you need to look into it a little more and that you'll be back tomorrow. Do your research, then actually show up tomorrow and tell him your decision either way. That way he'll know your seriously looking, you can talk intelligently about why you chose not to purchase something, and hopefully you'll have a lead on something else you want to look at. If it turns out the salesman was jacking you around, politely call him on it stating you couldn't find any information on his claim but found these other facts. You are in no obligation to work with a specific salesman - find someone else first and see if they will talk straight with you. Remember, it's a sellers market right now - buyers are a dime a dozen, and they are used to having noobs walk in their store (everyone was a noob once - remember that). All buyers are idiots until proven otherwise in this market. Sad, but I think true. Not the best way to do business either in the long run.
And I would add that you should always check pricing before throwing your money down. Never, and I mean never allow anybody to pressure you into a sale "right now", with firearms or anything else. if you are standing there at the counter and the guy starts to pressure you, take out your smartphone and start doing the research right there in front of him. Many gun stores have signs saying "No Cell Phones" on the door (and I agree with this policy) but if they are going to play the pressure game then you can respond in kind (they are being dicks so you can be one too, but only if they started it and you are responding in kind).

Likely the above scenario is going to end up with you walking anyhow, but don't let it get you down. you will learn from it.

And finally, let us know what happens. Be honest with yourself above all.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
People Like This 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

On one hand the GS employees deal with untold numbers of DB's who spend 19 hours a day playing COD and other 1st person shooter games. They get very tiresomw.

On the other hand, many GS employees are genuine azzhats.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #46

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Most shops that I've been in seem to not be the most friendly when they don't know you. Couple that with the heard of young and older people that go in to look at cool stuff and not buy and you get people that are tired of wasting time and become a little jaded. Talk to them, ask questions, and if you really want to get their attention spend some money. Repeat customers are treated much better.

But you have to be comfortable with them too. There is a local shop here I wouldn't buy gum in. They shop owner is a total tool and unless you are one of the 4-5 friends that hang around in there all day he doesn't want to waste time on you. Addin his prices are horrible and it's a recipe for not getting my business.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #47

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone
Gun stores like older people with money,not gazers just looking.

"FACT"
I'm 21 and have owned and bought around 20 or so guns I'm not a gazer but yes they act like that to me to until I found a shop I really like now they get all my business and academy of course.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #48

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
Visit a pawn shop, they will make you appreciate the a-holes at the gun shops.
Omg how right are you I was looking at a pistol been wanting asked the guy to see the gun twice I had cash in hand you know what he was doing he said hold on twice because he is playing stupid ass candy land

Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
I'm 21 and have owned and bought around 20 or so guns I'm not a gazer but yes they act like that to me to until I found a shop I really like now they get all my business and academy of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Omg how right are you I was looking at a pistol been wanting asked the guy to see the gun twice I had cash in hand you know what he was doing he said hold on twice because he is playing stupid ass candy land

A little punctuation goes a long ways when you are trying to get the respect of your elders. You could learn a lot about that from the OP.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #50

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Gun shops as a rule are like mice. They are every where and have a short life. These businesses are often owned by poorly financed people who hire tattooed drop outs. In most cases these gun experts learned about combat weapons watching old "Cop" shows on TV.
If you have the money and know what firearm you want to buy you are ahead of most of these clerks. Why concern yourself with the lower end of the food chain?