Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole View Post
I've been to most stores around where I live. I've been to dryes gun shop, mace sports, Carolina gunrunners, a place up the road from me called durham gunsmitting, I want to say there's a couple more and I just can think of them.
i like carolina gun runners, they seem to be pretty decent guys there. most everyone is around my age (30). i've bought several parts for my AR build from them.

north raleigh guns may be a good place to try(if you havent already)....it's right near the airport and brier creek. i bought my first pistol from them. they have a smaller selection though.

another place is in fuquay-varina called fuquay gun and gold. it's technically a pawn shop, but all they have in there is gun stuff. everytime i've been in there they welcome you as soon as you walk in and ask you so many times if you need help that it kinda starts to annoy me lol.

just walk in to the store, tell them what you're looking for and ask them to recommend something. if they know you're serious about taking the CC course, they may be more likely to help you out and not treat you like a kid.

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol

Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #22

Liked 2977 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2804

Just wait until you get to be an old geezer, you'll get sir'd to death. You'll long for the days of people talking down to you.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762

i like carolina gun runners, they seem to be pretty decent guys there. most everyone is around my age (30). i've bought several parts for my AR build from them.

if they know you're serious about taking the CC course, they may be more likely to help you out and not treat you like a kid.
I actually had stopped by Carolina gun runners today because I was out that way. They did have a great display and seemed like a nice store but odd placement if you ask me. Had a lot of good rifles contemplated buying when till I tried to talk to a sales person there and after that I just left. I've already take the CC class so maybe mentioning that will help cause I'm going to have to buy my carry gun from one of those store or possibly the gun show coming to Raleigh in August. Just need my CHP first, been waiting 6 weeks now.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #24

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

I get the same axxholes at almost every gun shop here in southeast PA . With the exception of Two. Tanners sport shop in Jammison
And Classic Pistol in Southampton.
They always treat me with respect.

Last edited by fordracing; 07-12-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
Just wait until you get to be an old geezer, you'll get sir'd to death. You'll long for the days of people talking down to you.
I know how that is. I used to work for a grocery store when I was in high school and a lot of older men would tell me to stop saying sir. Which is kind of odd to me since for one I was working and I have my good ol' southern hospitality.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3077 Times on 1497 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

Otoole,
As you have been advised is great advise. Another thing they like is as stated, advise exactly why you are there and compliment them on thier store and selection if warranted! Store owners and even the employees there like to hear compliments. The old saying you can get more with sugar than you can with vinegar. And if you are sincere they will pick up on it. Then ask them "When you have time I would like to talk to you and see ????????? If they do not respond positively you do not want to do business with them anyway. But most will respond with a positive response! I owned two gun shops years ago and evey customer was important in both. Although as was stated above, there were those unfortunately that were only tire kickers and spent a lot of time every visit tying up the sales staff and never bought anything at all other than a Coke now and then. We tried to be polite but advised them we had to get to work with the other patrons in the store. I also learned you can not judge a book by it's cover. We had some farmers come in and others who purchased weapons almost on a monthly or weekly basis. But when looking at them you would not think they had a dime!
However do not feel lonely! I have been in stores myself after being in the industry for years and was ignored for the biggest part or tried to impress me with their know it all attitude.
H*** that happened to me this past week at Sears buying a Gas Grill. Finaly I just advised the clerks in the area "Is anyone working here in the department today"? One was a Department Manager! So it is everywhere! But again gain respect and remember it does not come emediately, it is earned from both sides of the fence. I frequent those who show respect for their customers and I do not waste their time. By the way honest questions is in no way wasting time!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #27
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Quote:
TekGreg you make some very good points and ideas that I haven't thought about. It makes a lot of sense to not look like just another idiot walking into a gun store, I don't think I do but don't we all. Trust me I don't look like a thug but I guarantee that a lot of people walking into my LGS look like thugs or gang members. Although I'm not over 40, I am a white male but obviously that doesn't help enough. I will try some of your suggestions such as the suggested opening line talking to the employee.
Otoole, obviously none of that was directed personally at you, but was just a generalization from my experience owning a gun store. I always saw young people as a new adult in the industry and tried to cultivate a new relationship, but not everyone sees it that way. You are obviously self-aware, and by applying some thought, you shouldn't experience nearly the problems you have before.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #28

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
I actually had stopped by Carolina gun runners today because I was out that way. They did have a great display and seemed like a nice store but odd placement if you ask me. Had a lot of good rifles contemplated buying when till I tried to talk to a sales person there and after that I just left. I've already take the CC class so maybe mentioning that will help cause I'm going to have to buy my carry gun from one of those store or possibly the gun show coming to Raleigh in August. Just need my CHP first, been waiting 6 weeks now.
i took the class in late february of this year, i think it took right around 6 weeks to get it. that was at the height of the "panic". i bet you'll have it soon. it's nice to have when you buy other guns. just fill out the paperwork and go, took me less than 5 mins when i bought my last one.

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol

Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #29

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

We are in AZ, and I am perpetually 29 but have picked and chosen our LGS that we make the rounds to based on the same perceptions this young man has stated. Although when we are window (glass case?) shopping we tell them up front and say it is OK to help any other customers. The ones that may get 20-100.00 of business when we could have gone box store is solely on their service. I'll pay more for good service! We have a few that bend over backwards for us an we have only made small buys in, because we are spreading the word and people tell them that we referred them to the LGS. Like it was said, loyalty goes far, and sometimes it takes a small bite of humble pie to get the LGS to treat ya different. Remember, especially in these times, they probably have 100 "tire kickers" to each real sale. So even if you don't buy that time, sincerely thank them and let them know when you are ready you'll be back if they are giving you good service. Retail is a hard deal, especially if it is a mom and pop shop.

QG out....

Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #30

Liked 714 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I know what you mean. I'm 24, and it took me a while to find a store that treats me fairly. Because of the they have gotten quite a bit of money from me. All but one of the employees was nice. I think he no longer works there.

They all have a crap attitude at most other places. Sad that I'm moving away and have to find another store.
I can let you know which ones to avoid right off the bat. They haven't ticked me off recently so I won't post their names here... Not today anyway.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر