Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #211
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

I don't know why gun shops don't hire more women. Is it because the ones who know about and like guns are hard to find?
I think that has something to do with it. It's a male dominated industry.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #212
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I wanna know where Readygirl works so I can stop by the next time I'm in Ohio!

I totally agree though, I think more knowledgeable women in the gun stores would only improve their ability to serve the customers. Many women are intimidated out of checking out guns because it is a male dominated industry and if their first introduction to guns is some sweaty old fart grumbling about how his wife won't make him coffee anymore the customer is going to be turned off. Hell, I don't want to get that, so I can't see why a younger person or a woman would want that.

I say more chicks in gun stores! (bikinis optional.)
guns, gun stores, gun ranges and such have been dominated by men for many, many years. it's starting to change though. husbands are taking their wives into stores to buy guns, men are just as apt to take their daughters, and even single women are going into gun stores to shop. a gun store that doesn't recognize this trend and that doesn't make changes to accomodate women shoppers, is going to cost themselves a huge part of the market of sales. caveman mentality will cost them business.

women working in these environments is good too. at my LGS, the owner's wife and his daughter work there an both are pretty up to date on guns. personally i can deal with either one of them just as well as the owner. there are times i seek her advice from a women's perspective when shopping for my wife. my wife hates shopping! any shopping! i am secure enough in my manhood that i can just as easily deal with a woman salesperson as i can a man.

anyone working in retail gun sales needs to know their product and be honest. i, personally would deal with a woman who was knowledgeable about guns, rather than a man who thought he knew about guns.

i think more women and the younger generation need to get involved with firearms and they need to be educated about them in terms of safety and operation and shooting them. having knowledgeable women salespeople in a gun store is less intimidating to a single woman looking to buy a gun. the younger generation need to understand about guns and know they are nothing like video games and to learn paitence and be respectful and to learn as much as possible about what they want or need before ever setting foot into the store. be confirdent but never arrogant. be honest about your intentions. if only browsing to get a feel for what you might be interested in, then say so. if actually looking to buy, say so and let them know what amount you can afford. there is a huge waste in time for salesman to show you $1000-1500 handguns when your budget is only $400.
People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #213

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
guns, gun stores, gun ranges and such have been dominated by men for many, many years. it's starting to change though. husbands are taking their wives into stores to buy guns, men are just as apt to take their daughters, and even single women are going into gun stores to shop. a gun store that doesn't recognize this trend and that doesn't make changes to accomodate women shoppers, is going to cost themselves a huge part of the market of sales. caveman mentality will cost them business.

women working in these environments is good too. at my LGS, the owner's wife and his daughter work there an both are pretty up to date on guns. personally i can deal with either one of them just as well as the owner. there are times i seek her advice from a women's perspective when shopping for my wife. my wife hates shopping! any shopping! i am secure enough in my manhood that i can just as easily deal with a woman salesperson as i can a man.

anyone working in retail gun sales needs to know their product and be honest. i, personally would deal with a woman who was knowledgeable about guns, rather than a man who thought he knew about guns.

i think more women and the younger generation need to get involved with firearms and they need to be educated about them in terms of safety and operation and shooting them. having knowledgeable women salespeople in a gun store is less intimidating to a single woman looking to buy a gun. the younger generation need to understand about guns and know they are nothing like video games and to learn paitence and be respectful and to learn as much as possible about what they want or need before ever setting foot into the store. be confirdent but never arrogant. be honest about your intentions. if only browsing to get a feel for what you might be interested in, then say so. if actually looking to buy, say so and let them know what amount you can afford. there is a huge waste in time for salesman to show you $1000-1500 handguns when your budget is only $400.
All true....I will ask what the gun will primarily be used for, and what they want to spend early in the conversation. That cuts out alot of clutter, but will show them anything they are interested in. I cant tell you how many times i have sold a P95, then that same person come back 6 months later and buy a Kimber, Dan Wesson, Etc. They had a good experience with that first purchase, and come back to see me..........

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #214
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
All true....I will ask what the gun will primarily be used for, and what they want to spend early in the conversation. That cuts out alot of clutter, but will show them anything they are interested in. I cant tell you how many times i have sold a P95, then that same person come back 6 months later and buy a Kimber, Dan Wesson, Etc. They had a good experience with that first purchase, and come back to see me..........
the customer needs to be realistic about what he can or wants to spend. no need looking at firearms that can't or won't be purchased. IMO, it's a huge waste of time. especially for new person to the shop. going to a new gun store and getting respect IMO, is about building a relationship with the store. anytime i go to a new store, i am very up front and already have a pretty good idea what i am looking for.

now once you have built a relationship and have become a regular customer, the dynamic of the relationship changes. as long time repeat customer at my regular LGS, sometimes i go to purchase a few things, browse the used gun racks and BS with the owner and the custiomers. my relationship with my LGS didn't happen overnight either. i have purchased quite a bit there and they know i am a serious buyer when i'm looking to buy.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #215

Liked 2439 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Yeah, I went to a LGS, they had a woman working

there. I'm thinking "Great, she probably won't act

like a hammer."

Long story short, she acted like a hammer...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 AM   #216
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7727 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9960

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
LOL, you got something going on this weekend Vikingdad?
I wish. I spent yesterday working on a friend's 1956 Studebaker with my son and today working all day clearing firebreaks for a neighbor with both of the boys. I'm beat.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This