Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
The LGS i work at is owned by 2 of the friendliest old farts you will ever meet. They never met a stranger...We have a small coffee bar / snack shop between the shop and the range, If they get you back there you could waste a whole day, and forget what you came in for.....LOL. Its hard to judge sometimes. Some people come in looking for advice, and others know what they want, or are just looking around, and dont want to be bothered. I usually greet everybody that comes in, introduce myself, and tell them if there is anything they want to see, or have ant questions to just yell for me. Im usually cleaning the rental guns, or working the register, or who knows what....... I would say 70% of the people that come in are regulars that already know me.
Are you kidding me?! The gun shop has a snack bar AND a range? Awesome! First, I don't know why gun shops don't hire more women. Is it because the ones who know about and like guns are hard to find? They also might be more customer friendly, in general. Second, I can't imagine why an owner would put up with ANY rudeness, or other behavior that's detrimental to his business. It seems that we put up with a certain amount, because that's the part of the "gun shop lore". The retail fireworks business is another quirky one.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #202
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1351 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 460

The LGS in this area are only a showroom for me. I go there look at the pistol, handle it then go home and buy it online. I get the same service from online vendors, I am on my own. I get better prices from online vendors. The LGS says they can't compete with online vendors because they have to pay $600 a month rent for some hole in the wall. The online vendor has a brick and mortar store, shipping and receiving, a phone bank yet they still have better prices. I can't figure out the LGS business model.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #203
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6680 Times on 4039 Posts
Likes Given: 7944

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
First, I don't know why gun shops don't hire more women. Is it because the ones who know about and like guns are hard to find?
One of the gun shops I frequent is owned by a man and his wife. She's as likely to be behind the counter as he is. There are also two other women who work there. They're just as knowledgeable as the men.

Also, another gunstore I go to has women working there but it seems they mostly just run the cash registers. But I've heard them check out used guns coming in and they sure know a helluva lot more than I do.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #204

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

One of the gun shops I frequent is owned by a man and his wife. She's as likely to be behind the counter as he is. There are also two other women who work there. They're just as knowledgeable as the men.

Also, another gunstore I go to has women working there but it seems they mostly just run the cash registers. But I've heard them check out used guns coming in and they sure know a helluva lot more than I do.
Only one gun store that I have been to has had a woman working the counter. But I have met a few very knowledgeable lady's lately. When I first started shooting a few years ago I never thought anything about woman knowing anything about firearms, now I'm all ears!!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #205

Around here, the women you see in the gun shops are mostly there to keep their husbands in check. I have been into ONE shop that had a woman behind the counter, and I think she just happened to be there because her husband owned it. I may be wrong, I only went in once, and they're no longer in business....

Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #206
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7668 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9890

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
The LGS i work at is owned by 2 of the friendliest old farts you will ever meet. They never met a stranger...We have a small coffee bar / snack shop between the shop and the range, If they get you back there you could waste a whole day, and forget what you came in for.....LOL. Its hard to judge sometimes. Some people come in looking for advice, and others know what they want, or are just looking around, and dont want to be bothered. I usually greet everybody that comes in, introduce myself, and tell them if there is anything they want to see, or have ant questions to just yell for me. Im usually cleaning the rental guns, or working the register, or who knows what....... I would say 70% of the people that come in are regulars that already know me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Are you kidding me?! The gun shop has a snack bar AND a range? Awesome! First, I don't know why gun shops don't hire more women. Is it because the ones who know about and like guns are hard to find? They also might be more customer friendly, in general. Second, I can't imagine why an owner would put up with ANY rudeness, or other behavior that's detrimental to his business. It seems that we put up with a certain amount, because that's the part of the "gun shop lore". The retail fireworks business is another quirky one.
I wanna know where Readygirl works so I can stop by the next time I'm in Ohio!

I totally agree though, I think more knowledgeable women in the gun stores would only improve their ability to serve the customers. Many women are intimidated out of checking out guns because it is a male dominated industry and if their first introduction to guns is some sweaty old fart grumbling about how his wife won't make him coffee anymore the customer is going to be turned off. Hell, I don't want to get that, so I can't see why a younger person or a woman would want that.

I say more chicks in gun stores! (bikinis optional.)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #207

Quote:
LOL, you got something going on this weekend Vikingdad?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #208

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I wanna know where Readygirl works so I can stop by the next time I'm in Ohio!

I totally agree though, I think more knowledgeable women in the gun stores would only improve their ability to serve the customers. Many women are intimidated out of checking out guns because it is a male dominated industry and if their first introduction to guns is some sweaty old fart grumbling about how his wife won't make him coffee anymore the customer is going to be turned off. Hell, I don't want to get that, so I can't see why a younger person or a woman would want that.

LOL...I was out your way last week... Santa Monica for 5 days training on new medical equipment. Spent my evenings cruizing the PCH in my rented Mustang convertible....... Found some great places to eat, and went up to the Observatory, and spent some time in Malibu. I guy i met took me for a ride on his crotch rocket thru the twisties in one of the canyons. WOW.. it is beautiful out there. But had all of the 10/101/405 i could stand....too many people in one place........

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #209
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5820 Times on 3178 Posts
Likes Given: 11025

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
A guy i met took me for a ride on his crotch rocket
Lucky bastard. I gotta get a motorcycle.

No offense and none taken

Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #210

WHY are the ladies so attracted to those things?