Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater
Ask to speak to the owner or manager. Tell them how their employees make ya feel.
That's not a bad idea. I do like to go to the gun store that I took my conceal carry class at because they are friendly. It is a small store though with a limited selection.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #12

Liked 960 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Yeah, Vikingdad had some good suggestions. However, how are you supposed to gain their respect if they won't even talk to you? To be fair, OP, you seem to have most of the bases covered. Hell, not only can you type a coherent thought, you can even spell, and use proper grammar! That's a good start here, anyway. I myself have experienced this same thing. At one of the biggest gun shops in the area, (at that time, anyway), I was ignored. I had about $700 in my pocket, and an interest in an HK USP, I think it was. I went elsewhere, and bought a Beretta 96. I was probably 21 at the time, so same deal. I think you may also be dealing with "grouchy gun shop guy syndrome". A lot of these guys are temperamental. Some of them will decide to like you, though. Go there frequently, ask some informed questions, and buy stuff. See what happens.

Last edited by clr8ter; 07-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Yeah, Vikingdad had some goos suggestions. However, how are you supposed to gain their respect if they won't even talk to you? To be fair, OP, you seem to have most of the bases covered. Hell, not only can you type a coherent thought, you can even spell, and use proper grammar! That's a good start here, anyway. I myself have experienced this same thing. At one of the biggest gun shops in the area, (at that time, anyway), I was ignored. I had about $700 in my pocket, and an interest in an HK USP, I think it was. I went elsewhere, and bought a Beretta 96. I was probably 21 at the time, so same deal. I think you may also be dealing with "grouchy gun shop guy syndrome". A lot of these guys are temperamental. Some of them will decide to like you, though. Go there frequently, ask some informed questions, and buy stuff. See what happens.
Good suggestion on possibly asking more or maybe sound as if I know what I'm talking about. I always thought that going in and telling the person what it was that I was looking for would help. I look first so that I don't ask them for a gun that obviously isn't on display, although they might have what I'm looking for and it's not displayed. That would defeat the purpose of displaying a gun for people to see though. It seems to me that there are a few types of people that work at gun stores. Older employees who have experience and know what to suggest, the fanboy who has experience but only with what they like, and then newer employees who just needed a job.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 36

i noticed the same thing when i was younger. i figured that was the reason. and back then, i usually wasnt going to buy anything so i kinda understood. now that i'm older and have a job, i'm usually there to buy stuff and they remember me. sometimes you just have to talk to people as well and dont sound like you're a complete moron. they dont want to sell someone a gun that's going to have an AD when they get it to the house.

what stores did you go to? i live in raleigh and work in durham

Remington 700P - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223

Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #15

Liked 960 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Quote:
although they might have what I'm looking for and it's not displayed. That would defeat the purpose of displaying a gun for people to see though.
Mmmm, well, you would be surprised at what my local guy drags up from behind his counter.....LOL. Besides, I usually have to ask, because unless it's in the case right in front of me, I can't see the tags on the wall. And, a lot of the time, the tags in the cases aren't turned so you can read them.......

Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #16

I've been to most stores around where I live. I've been to dryes gun shop, mace sports, Carolina gunrunners, a place up the road from me called durham gunsmitting, I want to say there's a couple more and I just can think of them.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

First off, what is happening to you is not right. You are correct to be angry about it. Talking to the manager or owner would be a good idea. However, I think I can explain why you get these reactions.

First, gun stores are very much a "good ol' boy" network. If you're not male, white and over 40, you will not automatically be given respect. They are still one of the most politically incorrect businesses in existence.

Young people are their biggest time wasters. In their experience, they come in after 2,000 hours of Call of Duty and want to "play" with the real guns. Their salespeople waste time showing gun after gun with no chance of a sale.

If the store is in a questionable or transitioning area, the staff may wonder about gang affiliations of anyone under 30. Again, this is not fair, but if they have had to deny sales to younger people or they've been the victim of gang activity, they may have some prejudice.

Now, none of these are your fault, they are preconceived perceptions on the part of the staff. But you can lessen the chance that they will treat you this way by doing a few simple things:

Dress responsibly. Leave your hoodie, baggy pants and flip flops at home. You don't need to wear a suit, but clean jeans that fit, a polo shirt and nice shoes will make you look upper middle class, meaning you are serious and have the ability to buy.

Walk to the counter, engage a salesperson and make a simple, declarative statement. Salespeople don't care if you are just looking, but they will take you more seriously if you tell them exactly why you're there. "I have my concealed carry permit, and I am ready to buy, I just haven't found exactly the right gun." Or, "I'm just browsing for a home defense gun, but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy. Would you mind suggesting something?" These statements show respect for his position and let him know exactly where you stand. He can now choose to devote his time to you (ready to buy) or help you in-between other customers (browsing).

Don't have a chip on your shoulder. We all have been treated with ignorance and sometimes downright stupidity by salespeople. However, the way you handle it says volumes. If a salesperson asks if you've ever handled a gun, just smile and say, " All my life" or "I'm just learning." Some are being a smarta$$, but others may be trying to determine what you would like better. Not every question is an indictment of you or your skills.

Be loyal. If you win over one salesperson, the rest of the staff will come around quickly. You will have a store that respects you. Everyone knows that "cash talks and BS walks" so if you find a good deal on a gun, call or visit the same store and give them the chance to match price. Tell them while your there, "I found this deal over at Gun Buddy, but I always buy through you guys first." Customer loyalty is well-rewarded these days of Internet undercutting local stores.

Of course, there is always the salesman that is just bad. If he doesn't start to come around even when you are reasonable, it may just be time to move on. As the popular saying goes, "You can't fix stupid." Just make sure to inform the store owner or manager that you're taking your business elsewhere and why.

This is about a relationship, and when you first walk in, they don't know you from Adam. Show them you are responsible, serious and loyal and you will never be treated like a time-wasting, trash-taking gangster again!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #18

Liked 376 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I hear you OP, I'm a bit older than you, but some places just hire true ogres. A local range for us happens to be Knob Creek Gun range and to be honest they have some "winners" that work there. I've purchased two guns there just because of selection, and I belong to a private range they have on their property. Other places in town are a little better, but most are about the same way.

They already have a great job - why be pinheads to the rest of us?

01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101

Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #19

TekGreg you make some very good points and ideas that I haven't thought about. It makes a lot of sense to not look like just another idiot walking into a gun store, I don't think I do but don't we all. Trust me I don't look like a thug but I guarantee that a lot of people walking into my LGS look like thugs or gang members. Although I'm not over 40, I am a white male but obviously that doesn't help enough. I will try some of your suggestions such as the suggested opening line talking to the employee.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver35
They already have a great job - why be pinheads to the rest of us?
That makes sense to me but maybe that's not true. I've never worked at a gun store but I feel like I would love it. As many have said before though, showing a bunch of guns to COD players who don't know about guns and not serious buyers would sort of get frustrating. I'm assuming the answer to this is no but do gun store employees get commission. I'm assuming its a no because they would be much nicer if they did.