Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #171
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,028
Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-C View Post
Viking dad

Yeah i get what your saying, im one of those kids that is a top kid in school, but not honor roll. And im 6'3". But respectful, only to people who are also respectful, if you get what im saying. But my dad does understand that some gun dealers do talk down to me, maybe not at first due to my size but once they learn my age... And we dont buy from dealers like that. We are known by some dealers and try to buy from them as often as we can and also meet new ones. And my dad doesn't pick up on implied things right off the bat.
You know, my dad didn't either when I was your age. But it is amazing how quickly he picked up on it when I hit my 20's!

I will say that many younger people seem to "pick up on things" that are simply not there.

My oldest son is 6'5" and his brother is probably the same height as you. Both have been and are being home schooled but when among their friends who are in public or private schools they stand out as more mature (this is noticed by others, not my observations). My oldest son (he will be 18 in November) tends to gravitate towards kids who are several years older than him because of this. My younger son tends to be a loner so it is hard to tell who he would hang out with.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
thatonespot Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #172
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i'll be honest, that as general rule and practice, i don't put much stock into what much of the younger generation has to say or offer. many i have contact with are smart mouthed, or think they know more than they do or have a attitude of privilaged status. none of which impresses' me or makes me respectful of them. a lot of it comes from being in an environment when growing up, children were seen and not heard unless spoken to by adults. children didn't interject themselves into adult conversations unless they were invited to by an adult. maybe i am old fashioned, but to some degree i still live by that and still feel that way. my brother has reared his daughters that way to some degree and i can say without any doubt, those two girls are very respectful of their elders. they use words like sir, and maam, yes, and no sir, and maam. i am very proud of them and their respect for their elders.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #173
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,155
Liked 543 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

I am in my early twenties and have had mixed experiences. I you are just going into a store to look at what they have, then just tell them that when they ask if you need help, and don't waste their time. If you really want to look at something then don't be afraid to ask in your manly voice " excuse me sir, may I take a closer look at this ___?"

Don't be rude, don't be a know it all, and in general just keep your mouth shut. You are not trying to become their best friend on the first visit and they don't really want to listen to you talk about that one gun you shot that one time over at what's-his-names place.

Also, if you are in east texas along I-45, then PM Axxe as he knows a gun shop with outstanding service.

__________________

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

fa35jsf is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Default

I am 21 years old and am treated very respectfully at my LGS of choice (why it's the one I like). I've never been completely shut down or anything,but when I go to my LGS that I like I usually get a hey man how's it going whenever I walk in,and I always am friendly when I'm there.

Here's some things I believe help with the respect I've earned there.

Always speak from personal experience,when someone starts in with my friend this or I heard that they sound inexperienced theirselves.

Be upfront about what your looking for,assertiveness leads them to believe your not a complete amateur and that you know what your asking about.

Stop in often at your favorite shop,and buy something while your there,doesnt have to be big,maybe a box of ammo or a pair of speed strips...

Have a full beard,and shoot the ****,crack jokes,make general conversation when your there during the dead hours.



Just did some trading with them this morning for a sig p938,when I asked if if the regular model comes with the extended 7 round magazine their resident gunsmith said no it doesn't,but for you it may,and went digging in his magazine drawer and found me one. Nice surprise,another time I was in there asking if they had a mosin bayonet I could purchase and they pulled one out of the back and let me walk with it simply bc it was the most off the wall request they had had that day.

__________________
Jstrong is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #175
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkuhar View Post
Its not just gun stores that look down on people. Bike shop in taylorville il has the rudest manager i've ever met. At 10:30 on a Saturday morning I went to buy a bike and when I asked about test riding it she was nice to my face then when she thought I was out of listening distance started badmouthing me for wanting a test ride. I rolled the bike back to her, pulled out my cash and told her you just lost a cash sale and can keep your bike. I had 5 grand on me and went to Springfield and bought a bike at a shop that treated customers right
And here it is!

It all comes down to weather they want your money or not. Sure, some kids/young people will burn time but when you are in the business of selling a product to the public you can not afford to toss a sale away. That first shop apparently didn't want your money. So you went to spend it elsewhere. Mad props for showing them the cash. I'm sure they wont learn but you showed them they lost a sale. If it had been me I might even roll my new bike up and show them the great deal you got.

It is very true that many younger people walk in with the attitudes that they know it all and really don't want to spend any money but many are not like that. When your business involves working direct wit hthe public you cna not afford to run a customer off. There are too many other places all too willing to take their money.

Remember the shops that treat you well and remember more the shops that don't. THere's a reason I don't shop at many places that I did at one point in my life.

And kids take this for what it's worth. I'll be 50 this year and I wish I knew half as much now as I THOUGHT I did at 21. I'd be a freakin genius!

Older people got old by learning how to make it that far. They have the scars both inside and out to show for it. Sure we all have to learn from our mistakes but you will do yourselves a great service by learning a little form others that have already been there.
__________________

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

DrumJunkie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #176
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'll be honest, that as general rule and practice, i don't put much stock into what much of the younger generation has to say or offer. many i have contact with are smart mouthed, or think they know more than they do or have a attitude of privilaged status. none of which impresses' me or makes me respectful of them. a lot of it comes from being in an environment when growing up, children were seen and not heard unless spoken to by adults. children didn't interject themselves into adult conversations unless they were invited to by an adult. maybe i am old fashioned, but to some degree i still live by that and still feel that way. my brother has reared his daughters that way to some degree and i can say without any doubt, those two girls are very respectful of their elders. they use words like sir, and maam, yes, and no sir, and maam. i am very proud of them and their respect for their elders.
If more had done this we would be in much better shape. I blame my generation for a lot of it. I can remember sitting around and listening to stories about how this kids parents where too mean or that parent grounded me and them saying when I have kids I will let them do whatever they want....And they did just that. And those kids are having kids now and it's getting exponentially worse.
__________________

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

DrumJunkie is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #177
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,823
Liked 3192 Times on 2172 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

And here it is!

It all comes down to weather they want your money or not. Sure, some kids/young people will burn time but when you are in the business of selling a product to the public you can not afford to toss a sale away. That first shop apparently didn't want your money. So you went to spend it elsewhere. Mad props for showing them the cash. I'm sure they wont learn but you showed them they lost a sale. If it had been me I might even roll my new bike up and show them the great deal you got.

It is very true that many younger people walk in with the attitudes that they know it all and really don't want to spend any money but many are not like that. When your business involves working direct wit hthe public you cna not afford to run a customer off. There are too many other places all too willing to take their money.

Remember the shops that treat you well and remember more the shops that don't. THere's a reason I don't shop at many places that I did at one point in my life.

And kids take this for what it's worth. I'll be 50 this year and I wish I knew half as much now as I THOUGHT I did at 21. I'd be a freakin genius!

Older people got old by learning how to make it that far. They have the scars both inside and out to show for it. Sure we all have to learn from our mistakes but you will do yourselves a great service by learning a little form others that have already been there.
(Looking down at scar thats about 2ft. long)..."yeah,...what Drum Said......"
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #178
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,455
Liked 7212 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 14703

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkuhar
Its not just gun stores that look down on people. Bike shop in taylorville il has the rudest manager i've ever met. At 10:30 on a Saturday morning I went to buy a bike and when I asked about test riding it she was nice to my face then when she thought I was out of listening distance started badmouthing me for wanting a test ride. I rolled the bike back to her, pulled out my cash and told her you just lost a cash sale and can keep your bike. I had 5 grand on me and went to Springfield and bought a bike at a shop that treated customers right
That was you pretty woman moment. "Big mistake. Big."
__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #179
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,282
Liked 960 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Age does play a part in everything, I will be 49 in a couple of days. I knew I was old when I bought a car from out of state that had no front license plate bracket. Ohio requires a front license plate. I got pulled over twice, Both times it was

"Sir do you know where your front license plate is?"

"Yes sir it is in the trunk someone hit me in a parking lot and broke the bracket, I have not had time to get the junk yard to get a replacement."

" Please get one as soon as is convenient"

One gave me a written warning, the other didn't even bother with that. I never did have a front plate on that car.

At the gun shop I get what I went in for, cleaning supplies, reloading supplies, etc. Then I go the gun counter to look. When the guy behind the counter asks me if he can help me I usually say something like " I got what I needed now I am checking to see if there is anything I can't live without" If they are not busy they hang around and let me look and question, if they are busy they go to other customers because I in effect told them I am "just looking" today.

__________________
F4U is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #180
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

at my most frequented LGS where i buy the bulk of my firearms and reloading supplies and such i tend to view it more as social event. i visit with the owners and there are customers i see there that i visit with as well. sometimes i will spend anywhere from a couple of hours to several there. sometimes i d feel like i get special treatment and honestly, it's born out mutual respect. i let them know how much i appreciate their attitudes and treatment of customers and let them know i support them as well by doing the bulk of my business there. i enjoy taking my business there, because they have decent pricing, they treat the customers with respect, they will do whatever it takes to accommodate the customer and they are just downright nice people.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid people in gun stores Gizord1 Gunsmithing Forum 42 02-01-2013 03:28 AM
Best type of handgun for younger people to carry Gearhead09 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 3 01-12-2012 12:35 PM
Stupid people at stores talikng guns. cpttango30 The Club House 19 07-27-2009 03:56 PM