Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 17
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #161
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3730 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole View Post
I do have one other question. Many of y'all have mentioned that at LGS's they can order a gun that you want for you. So my question is, how does the gun store determine the price they will sell it to you for? Is it the price that the company suggests or less?
Generally they charge a markup fee of some sort, in addition to the price the manufacturer sets. Meaning the price they have to purchase it for from the Manufacturer.

I'm sure all LGS' have different markup fees. You would just have to ask your shop what it would cost.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #162

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
They won't get past my withering barrage.
pssshhhh.....they only thing they'll do after eating your giant a**, is to wander contently in search of toothpicks and floss for the next 2 days....

your sacrifice at the hands of the zombies will be appreciated as aid of my escape and entertaining for my facebook friends...

sorry...i'll go away now....
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #163

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Quote:
I do have one other question. Many of y'all have mentioned that at LGS's they can order a gun that you want for you. So my question is, how does the gun store determine the price they will sell it to you for? Is it the price that the company suggests or less?
Each shop may have it's own policy on special orders. The one I used in Georgia would mark up 10% over cost, plus the Transfer/FFL fee ($25) at that shop. They had the best rate in the county. If the firearm was less than $125 they did have a minimum $12 mark-up.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #164
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole
Or you can order it from somewhere out of state, save the State tax, pay the FFL transfer fee (which may or may not offset the tax savings) and maybe find it for a lower price than the special order. Of course it's always nice to support your local LGS whenever possible and buy through them, but one of mine wanted $200 more for a CZ I had transferred to them.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #165
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-C View Post
I know im badly talked down to, im 13 but i know a lot about marksmanship, rifles, etc. i like to go to gun shows with my dad and look at cool rifles and tell him what i know, but back to the point ive noticed that some bigger companies and dealers will not even speak to me, only to my dad. It annoys me. They will talk down and look at me like im crazy when im looking at handguns and rifles. And when my dad is interested in a gun the dealer will show off his "gun smarts" and i will just sit back and look at all the bluffs they say. I just whisper in my dads ear the truth. But some older folks, i guess 50+ are glad to talk to me my and my dad about there rifles, trade stories etc. thats where he will buy something.
Welcome to the forum XCR-C.
You sound very much like my sons a few years back. They are 16 and 17 now. I would bring them to gun shows starting when they were probably 10 years old or thereabouts (It would have been earlier, but their mom wouldn't let us). I was always careful to defer to them, especially when we were looking at a gun they were interested in. I never let the seller talk down to them. If you can talk to your dad about how he acts when this happens, it will not only help you gain in your knowledge about guns but it will also vastly increase your ability to interact with people who are your elders in a peer-on-peer relationship. I think that is very important these days. You are, at your age, treated only as old as you act. And kids that are your age all too often act like punk kids. Don't be that kid (everywhere in your life) and you won't be treated like one.

You can do most of this without your dad's help, it just makes it easier for you if he is on board. Does he visit this forum at all?
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #166

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
I'm not just gazing and it's not that hard to convince me to buy something else. I have the money.
Don't get the wrong idea, OP. You especially,

specifically WANT to "gaze", and pass over

all the guns you don't want.

I must look at hundreds of thousands of guns

before I find what I am looking for. Otherwise,

I'd have a safe full of crap I don't like, which is

almost what I wanted. My method is to have a

mental inventory of what I want before I walk into

the store, and spend as little time in the store as

possible, once I determine they don't have what I

I need. Try to spend my time wisely, going to more

than one store, for the larger variety, spending less

time in each store.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #167

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Don't get the wrong idea, OP. You especially,

specifically WANT to "gaze", and pass over

all the guns you don't want.

I must look at hundreds of thousands of guns

before I find what I am looking for. Otherwise,

I'd have a safe full of crap I don't like, which is

almost what I wanted.
I feel like it's necessary not to buy guns on impulse unless I had money like that then I would. I don't have that much to spend and if I'm investing 400, possibly more, on a gun I need to know that I truly want the gun.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #168

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

i am very respectful young man or i am told by many others. its like it was said in this thread employees think most of the younger crowed wont buy anything so they get upset when i ask to see a rifle that im interested i give every bit of respect i know but they think im not going to buy anything they see it as a waste of time. but if i show them cash money the music changes its all about buisness. that i dont mind.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #169

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Its not just gun stores that look down on people. Bike shop in taylorville il has the rudest manager i've ever met. At 10:30 on a Saturday morning I went to buy a bike and when I asked about test riding it she was nice to my face then when she thought I was out of listening distance started badmouthing me for wanting a test ride. I rolled the bike back to her, pulled out my cash and told her you just lost a cash sale and can keep your bike. I had 5 grand on me and went to Springfield and bought a bike at a shop that treated customers right
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #170

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Viking dad

Yeah i get what your saying, im one of those kids that is a top kid in school, but not honor roll. And im 6'3". But respectful, only to people who are also respectful, if you get what im saying. But my dad does understand that some gun dealers do talk down to me, maybe not at first due to my size but once they learn my age... And we dont buy from dealers like that. We are known by some dealers and try to buy from them as often as we can and also meet new ones. And my dad doesn't pick up on implied things right off the bat.