Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #141
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17038 Times on 9851 Posts
Likes Given: 44273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Several months ago the boys and I were in a new (to us) store looking around and asked to look at a Les Baer they had. My youngest son (15 years) desperately wants one but of course can't afford it right now (though he will one day own one I am sure). My son checked it for safe and checked it out, felt the hammer, etc., and then tried the trigger, catching the hammer with his thumb.

Guy behind the counter says "Go ahead and dry fire it" and my son said that it was OK, he didn't need to. So the guy takes the gun and dry fires it several times to "show him its OK".

My son says "Thanks. Now I know I won't be buying that gun, or any gun you have here." He was respectful and let the guy know what he was thinking. I think he did a good job.

My take on it is that if you want to dry fire your gun then go ahead. But don't ever dry fire one in the gun store and gun store employees shouldn't be dry firing them ever. They should have some snap caps handy in all calibers for these occasions and insist that customers use them for display guns. I have a few that I own where the manufacturer specifically states in the manual that you can dry fire that gun. I do so occasionally but that is all. If I have somebody looking at one of those guns I will tell them that they can dry fire it. But I would never do as that employee did.

Am I wrong?
well, yes and no! as a general rule, i would say to not dry fire firearms. but i have been told that the way the firing pin is designed on the 1911, you can't hurt them by dry firing. even at my LGS, they don't normally allow dry firing, but will allow it on the 1911's. personally, i know how the firing pin is designed on them and IMO, it doesn't look like it could cause any damage, because it's spring loaded. i could be wrong on this. in all honesty, i am really kind of undecided on this and not 100% sure either way.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #142
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7402 Times on 4277 Posts
Likes Given: 9527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well, yes and no! as a general rule, i would say to not dry fire firearms. but i have been told that the way the firing pin is designed on the 1911, you can't hurt them by dry firing. even at my LGS, they don't normally allow dry firing, but will allow it on the 1911's. personally, i know how the firing pin is designed on them and IMO, it doesn't look like it could cause any damage, because it's spring loaded. i could be wrong on this. in all honesty, i am really kind of undecided on this and not 100% sure either way.
My point was more that the guy was ignoring my son's statement that it was not necessary (my son is scary proficient at quick-draw and catching the hammer- it really is unnecessary for him to dry fire) and then rapidly dry-firing the gun when my son said no. Rather than doing that he should have (in my opinion) explained just what you said above. We don't own any 1911's so we are not by any means experts on them. I just thought it was bad form on the employee's part.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #143

Liked 621 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
They don't like my baby face they can kiss my ass. My young self and pocket full of money will gladly go to the next store.
Dunno.
I've sold a lot of bikes and won't let anyone test ride them without paying first. I had a guy do a burn out in my driveway once. He got $8000 cash back, i hurt his feelings real bad, i hurt his wife's feeling even worse, and I didn't sell a bike that day.

A buddy of mine owns the local Chevy dealership here. A kid came in to by a Camaro and took it for a test drive. His parents own a company here and are in solid shape financially. He wasn't there just to play. He pulled out of the lot sideways and Rick saw the white smoke in the way out. He didn't sell the Camaro that day and probably lost a few sale out of his actions.

If you're in someone's house, you abide by their rules. If you ever find someone that cares more about your money than their own rules and core values, you should probably change your own opinion. I can assure you, your best interests are not at heart for them.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #144
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
My point was more that the guy was ignoring my son's statement that it was not necessary (my son is scary proficient at quick-draw and catching the hammer- it really is unnecessary for him to dry fire) and then rapidly dry-firing the gun when my son said no. Rather than doing that he should have (in my opinion) explained just what you said above. We don't own any 1911's so we are not by any means experts on them. I just thought it was bad form on the employee's part.
that's what i meant by yes and no. i agree with you and yes the store employee should have explained it, rather than just doing it, with no explaination. that's just rude an disrespectful. my LGS explained it to me and didn't take it and start firing away. the owner of my LGS is very respectful of others, and it's the reason i continue to shop there. they are honest and are not afraid to answer any questions. they have even looked up answers when they didn't know the answer and were honest about it.

i have owned many 1911's over the years and not an expert by any means. i do know some things, but i will not even begin to tell you i know everything about them. on dry firing, from what i was told and from a common sense opinion on the design of the firing pin system, i don't see it being a problem, but i could be wrong.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #145

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

i was in the same boat i was always looked down upon because im 19 and im hispanic. but ever since i stared flashing my cash then they treat me special well at least at local gun stores!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #146
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2327 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester

Dunno.
I've sold a lot of bikes and won't let anyone test ride them without paying first. I had a guy do a burn out in my driveway once. He got $8000 cash back, i hurt his feelings real bad, i hurt his wife's feeling even worse, and I didn't sell a bike that day.

A buddy of mine owns the local Chevy dealership here. A kid came in to by a Camaro and took it for a test drive. His parents own a company here and are in solid shape financially. He wasn't there just to play. He pulled out of the lot sideways and Rick saw the white smoke in the way out. He didn't sell the Camaro that day and probably lost a few sale out of his actions.

If you're in someone's house, you abide by their rules. If you ever find someone that cares more about your money than their own rules and core values, you should probably change your own opinion. I can assure you, your best interests are not at heart for them.
Not what I was getting at. Act like an ******* to me for being in my 20's and I'm gone. Plenty of stores around. Took me a long time to find the store I frequent. Now I just moved 82 miles away. Got to start over and not happy about that.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #147
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMoeDown47 View Post
i was in the same boat i was always looked down upon because im 19 and im hispanic. but ever since i stared flashing my cash then they treat me special well at least at local gun stores!
are they treating you special just because you have money or do they really care about your business?

something i have learned over the years, if you want respect you give respect. respect is earned. irregardless of what you may think, money does not buy you respect. it will get you special treatment, but that is not the same as respect.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #148

Liked 621 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater

Not what I was getting at. Act like an ******* to me for being in my 20's and I'm gone. Plenty of stores around. Took me a long time to find the store I frequent. Now I just moved 82 miles away. Got to start over and not happy about that.
My bad.
Travon has me pissed off at all you white people.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #149

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IMO, i think a lot of gun stores that are owned or ran by older people, tend to alienate younger people, simply because many of them are tirekickers. IOW's, they come in and look at a lot of guns, talk a lot of buying, but never buy anything. many of them have no intentions of buying because they just don't have the money. i see them aplenty at my LGS as well. they will spen a bit of time there, looking at guns and such and leave, never have even bought one box of shells or even a package of targets. a lot of gun stores see this as wasted time.
I'm somewhat guilty of that. I try not to waste the employees' time though. I usually tell them right off that I'm just browsing.

I can't really recall ever having a problem with a gun shop because of my age, though I also look a little older then I am too.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #150
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7402 Times on 4277 Posts
Likes Given: 9527

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
My bad.
Travon has me pissed off at all you white people.
Wow. You are pissed off at an entire race. Nice.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This