Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #101
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

OP, it's maybe more noticeable at your age, but that type treatment is inflicted on some of us older people as well at times. i don't suffer arrogance or bad manners from anyone when i am looking to spend money.

i dress like i'm a middle class working stiff. i don't play video games or look like some gangbanger. i actually do know a little something about guns. i do alot of research before i ever go to a store to buy.

the LGS i have been frequenting for several years now, treated me with respect from the first time i walked in. i have also noticed, they treat everyone that way, even the younger customers. i noticed they still plenty time with the tirekickers as well, even when it was pretty evident to even me that person wasn't going to buy anything. i shopped there the first time because it was recommended. i continued to shop there because of the service.

lots of good information anda lot i agree with has been given. find a good LGS and build a relationship. do most of your business there and let them know that. a smaller LGS can't always stock as much in inventory like the bigger ones can. mine doesn't stock everything, but they are more than willing to order just about anything i would ever want or need. i have my LGS order for me all the time.

personally i buy very little from WalMart, because of the level of service from idiots who have little knowledge of what they are trying to sell, or act like they have something better to do than wait on a potential customer. the big chain sporting goods stores are another i frequent very little because of the attitude of the employees. like they are doing me a favor by selling to me. or being talked to like i don't have a cloe about guns. i have embarrassed more than one when i have heard the salesman give wrong or incorrect information to another customer.

repsect is a two way street, and you have to give in order to get. but irregardless, no one should be treated badly just because of their age or any other factors. usually i can tell within a very short time of entering a place and interacting with the employees whether i will ever set foot back in a place.
People Like This 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #102
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8728 Times on 4703 Posts
Likes Given: 18448

I think the biggest issue with younger people is they are more likely to use a retailer's inventory to choose a product and then purchase it online (slightly cheaper and tax-free.) Let them know you are not just showrooming.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #103

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I think the biggest issue with younger people is they are more likely to use a retailer's inventory to choose a product and then purchase it online (slightly cheaper and tax-free.) Let them know you are not just showrooming.
This is very true. These folks have no idea of the value of LGS support.

Of course, when the sources they use to purchase now are the

only ones left, they'll be the first ones whining about the demise

of the LGS. IMO everyone should pick one LGS, and give them a little

business. Otherwise, all that will be left is Bud's Wal-Mart, and Gunbroker.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #104

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

The thing about retail is you can't only let the people who promise to spend money in. You don't know who they are. And, some people will go in just because they are bored, or are doing their own research, or are only mildly curious etc. Think about it, if you treat someone who you know isn't going to buy something nicely, and they have a conversation with a friend later who is more interested, and they remember you because you were nice to them, you might get a boomerang sale. Or, someone may not be ready to spend a dime today, but 3 months later is ready to cut loose 10 grand. Who are they going to go back to? I'd like to hear from some car salesmen on how many people they talk to VS. how many of those conversations result in actual sales.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #105

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just get Trip to go with me. He knows the best places and the people that work there. When he calls the 6 foot 7 inch 400lb+ gorilla his "little buddy", they're happy to let me come behind the counter and molest any gun that catches my eye while he swaps war stories with some of the old men who sit around the card tables smoking.

You could try the same thing by shopping with someone who knows the people who work in the store.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #106

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone
Fine you're a young Man with money,but many don't,imagine you showing 6 or 7 guns,only to have gazer turn and walk out of your shop,kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth..
I understand that point of showing someone multiple guns and spending time to cater to their needs then have them leave would be rather annoying. The thing I don't understand though is why can't the employee just brush it off, correct if I'm wrong but they don't get commission on the guns they sell. So to me not making the sale wouldn't be that big of a deal. I also do a lot of research on what i want and want to look at before going unlike as i assume most people who go to gun stores don't.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #107

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
That is a very good point. Younger people are accustomed to being able to order something and it be delivered to their front door, with the exception of firearms of course.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #108
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8728 Times on 4703 Posts
Likes Given: 18448

I think anyone would give way to a 6'7” 400# giant.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #109
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
The thing about retail is you can't only let the people who promise to spend money in. You don't know who they are. And, some people will go in just because they are bored, or are doing their own research, or are only mildly curious etc. Think about it, if you treat someone who you know isn't going to buy something nicely, and they have a conversation with a friend later who is more interested, and they remember you because you were nice to them, you might get a boomerang sale. Or, someone may not be ready to spend a dime today, but 3 months later is ready to cut loose 10 grand. Who are they going to go back to? I'd like to hear from some car salesmen on how many people they talk to VS. how many of those conversations result in actual sales.
QFT! i have recommended my LGS to many people, and even to some members on this forum that have resulted in sales for them. i would never recommend a place that treated me poorly, even if i was just window shopping. i can honestly say, my LGS earned my business and respect. even during some of the panic moments several months ago, my LGS didn't gouge their customers. yes they did have to raise some of the prices because they were costing them more from various suppliers and we understood that, but they didn't raise them anymore than needed, and i respect them for that. becuase of that, i will continue to do business with them.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #110

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I think anyone would give way to a 6'7” 400# giant.
Well they didn't before I started tagging along with him. Apparently he stops in while he's on the clock, especially when he works weekends.
MisterMcCool Likes This