Do gun stores not like younger people - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think it depends on the store. We have several here in the Orlando area, and I find that the one with the most statewide stores tends to act like they are doing you a favor when you are in there. If you look like you might not be buying, they quickly lose interest in you. The smaller, single entity stores are much more welcoming, and interested in working with you.

You may pay a little more, but it is often worth it for the customer service you get.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #92

Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
The smaller, single entity stores are much more welcoming, and interested in working with you.
Yeah, probably because it's the owner standing behind the counter, and he wants/needs to put something good on the table for dinner. His wife's going to be pissed if all he brings home is a can of beans, LOL.

Last edited by clr8ter; 07-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #93
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
^^^ +10. Although, IMO, it's not just the gun industry. It's everybody. I for one, will go out of my way to DO business with great customer service people, and go out of my way NOT to do business with bad customer service people.

One of the good ones for me has been my CC company, Chase. I have NEVER had a bad experience with them. VERY helpful on the phone, and they actually speak very good english. Another is Progressive Direct. Same deal, with one exception; they dropped the ball in helping me out with an accident I didn't cause. State Farm, (I'm going out of my way to not do business with them), wanted to pork me, and Progressive wasn't as helpful as they could have been. But overall, I'd highly recommend them.
Last year, we had to contact Wells Fargo and American Express due to lost credit cards.

The American Express call lasted all of maybe 5 minutes, talking with one very polite and helpful rep. We had the new card overnighted to the location we were staying.

The Wells Fargo call lasted over 45 minutes, through 3 different people, most of the time on hold, asking for the same info over and over again. We got the replacement card about 10 days later.

Pretty easy to tell which company I will never drop.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #94

Hmmmm. My buddy has an awful time with Wells Fargo when he got his mortgage. I'd never go anywhere near them.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #95

Liked 4788 Times on 2316 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
If there is anything this thread has proven, it is that the gun retail industry has a very big customer service problem. Many great companies have been built simply on great customer service alone. There's a big hole in the marketplace waiting for someone to occupy it.
I agree with this 100%

However I would point out that there is a large difference between certain types of "retail" businesses and any gun dealer, like car dealers, is forced by factors that other types of retailer either don't experience, or experience to a lesser degree.

1. Tight Margins... Buying a gun is nothing like buying a car, but to the buyer, it's closer to a car than say, a pair of shoes. Any extremely durable product that cost a weeks pay and is more of a passionate "want" than a actual "need" drives us consumers to put more emphasis on price than we do on service.

Case in point... Many of the members here who decry the terrible service in the gun industry are the same members who will not only buy an AR 15 from Wal Mart... But they will proudly post about it... and it's not the Service they are raving about.

To a large degree, our own natural desire to get the best deal through Internet sales and big box stores drives the competent and carring sales people away from the gun industry because few people can survive on the wages FFL's can afford to offer.

I myself will spend my retirement years as an FFL... but I will not jump into that business until my families financial security has already been reached... so I'll be doing it out of passion rather than need.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 07-13-2013 at 03:30 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #96

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Case in point... Many of the members here who decry the terrible service in the gun industry are the same members who will not only buy an AR 15 from Wal Mart... But they will proudly post about it... and it's not the Service they are raving about.

To a large degree, our own natural desire to get the best deal through Internet sales and big box stores drives the competent and carring sales people away from the gun industry because few people can survive on the wages FFL's can afford to offer.
^^^^
THIS.

The problem you are trying to overcome, is you are

traveling down a worn trail behind lookylous, wannabes,

know-it-alls, and CODers, all of whom shuffle into the LGS,

annoy the crap out of the salesperson, SPEND NOTHING,

then leave, after wasting a half hour.

Try not to be any of those guys.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2837 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Hmmmm. My buddy has an awful time with Wells Fargo when he got his mortgage. I'd never go anywhere near them.
A former co-worker refinanced her house after her previous mortgage holder sold her mortgage to Wells Fargo. She hated them that much.
My own experience with them is much less interesting. One car loan, no drama.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #98

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Tack
I didn't know that Walmart still sold AR 15's. It's been a while since I've seen one there. I also understand the COD point seeing as my generation is obsessed with those games. I am very polite when I go anywhere especially in gun store because I know they've probably already had a bad day. Is it too much to ask for them to be polite back

Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #99

Quote:
Is it too much to ask for them to be polite back?
Not if they want your business...

Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #100

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoole View Post
I'm not just gazing and it's not that hard to convince me to buy something else. I have the money.
Fine you're a young Man with money,but many don't,imagine you showing 6 or 7 guns,only to have gazer turn and walk out of your shop,kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth..