Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Do gun stores not like younger people (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/do-gun-stores-not-like-younger-people-93773/)

Otoole 07-11-2013 11:54 PM

Do gun stores not like younger people

Can someone please explain to me why so many employees at gun stores seem to talk down to me while I'm in the store. Is it because I'm 21, do I look like I'm not going to buy anything there. Is it just the ego of people that work at gun stores. It seems as if every store I go to around me (Durham, NC) that they employees would rather me leave than stay and help me with what I'm looking for. I've been recently trying to find and hold a few options that I've considered for conceal carry. Aside from no gun store near me having a sig p938 which I really want to get my hands on, it's really frustrating to deal with people talking to me like I shouldn't be there.

HankStone 07-11-2013 11:58 PM

Gun stores like older people with money,not gazers just looking.

"FACT"

Otoole 07-12-2013 12:02 AM

I'm not just gazing and it's not that hard to convince me to buy something else. I have the money.

ScottA 07-12-2013 12:05 AM

Don't think it's just because your young. I've met quite a few folks who work in GS's who think everyone is an idiot until they get to know them.

elfmdl 07-12-2013 12:08 AM

It is that exact reason why I will only buy my firearms from my local gunshop. I refuse to buy any firearm from gander mountain or bass pro because I get ignored and it almost impossible to get help. I may only be 18 but that doesn't mean I'm not going to buy anything. And from them being like that I will never buy a gun from them even if it is a little bit cheaper

MisterMcCool 07-12-2013 12:12 AM

Visit a pawn shop, they will make you appreciate the a-holes at the gun shops.

Vikingdad 07-12-2013 12:12 AM

My two teenage (16 and 18 now) sons are treated very respectfully at the gun stores we frequent. May be because they have demonstrated that they are worthy of respect. It is sometimes tough to gain that respect though. As mentioned, some stores make you really work for it. that is their prerogative and we do not frequent those stores. Spending money there does help. Also, try not to wear clothes that make you look like a gangbanger or COD poseur.

towboater 07-12-2013 12:14 AM

Ask to speak to the owner or manager. Tell them how their employees make ya feel.

Otoole 07-12-2013 12:16 AM

I may play COD but I know about guns and I'm not going into stores asking for full auto guns. Most times I'm in a gun store I'm most likely wearing jeans and a plain t shirt. It's also hard to go to gun stores a lot to gain their respect seeing as I'm a full time student and work. I understand spending money helps but if they want to talk down to me I'm not going to give them money.

kytowboater 07-12-2013 12:18 AM

I know what you mean. I'm 24, and it took me a while to find a store that treats me fairly. Because of the they have gotten quite a bit of money from me. All but one of the employees was nice. I think he no longer works there.

They all have a crap attitude at most other places. Sad that I'm moving away and have to find another store.