In Dixieland ...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > In Dixieland ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 173 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default In Dixieland ...

"Oh I wish I was in de' land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten;
Look away, look away, look away,
Dixieland.

In Dixieland where I was born,
Early one frosty mornin',
Look away, look away, look away,
Dixieland.

Then I wish I was in Dixie,
Houray! Houray!
In Dixieland I'll take my stand,
To live and die, in Dixie!

Away, away, away down south,
In Dixie.
Away, away, away down south,
In Dixie."

My most favorite song. I was born in Fort Pierce Florida to a Chicago couple (my parents) who took early retirment to Florida. They managed an RV park there, then moved to Gainesville, where I remember being a kid, chasing alligators for sport single handedly with a big stick.

I learned to pronounce all the words like a Floridian whereas my dad stuck to the Chicago syntax. I said kreek while he said krik. I said root while he said rowt. I said kar while he said kah.

If you live and work in Dixie you are quite lucky, especially Florida. But even Texas, or Louisiana are both quite beautiful as well, in Dixie.

California has more gold though, so those of us who are mining gold in California are stuck here in this looney bin for now.

I often think of where someday to retire. I recall the beautiful beaches of Florida, the plains and prairies of Texas, the Gulf Coast of Louisiana. And if you don't mind being stuck in the middle of nowhere, even the mountains of Colorado are nice too.

Unless you survived Marine Corps recruit or officer training, as well, you are probably not going to impress me with your bravery.

Unless you stood on the wall as well, and left your family and sweetie pie back home alone, and loved your rifle and your .45 both at your side at all times in the day or night, I am probably not going to be impressed with your knowlege of guns.

Unless you have dropped a buck deer in his tracks at 425 yards with a single shot, I will probably not be impressed by your varmint gun.

That's just how it is.

PTSD is an interesting thing. It goes away eventually. But it takes decades.

I respect the younger grunts just coming home, who will have to wait those decades, still.

Favorite joke: "What does a Floridian call anyone who is not from Florida? [Answer: A northerner.]"

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Very random shoob lol :P

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

So, my only question is: Do you like Florida or no?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 677 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
In Dixieland where I was born, Early one frosty mornin'
I was born at 8:30 on a Saturday morning, January 25, 1936 in Yalobusha county in North Mississippi. After Mother died I found a paper she had written soon after I was born. In it she described our house as a 'shack.' She wrote that after the doctor was paid for delivering me they had only a quarter to their name. My earliest memory is looking out Mother's kitchen window one sunny winter morning at the frost on the sage grass in the yard. Does 'Dixie' bring a tear to my eye? You bet!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 677 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Does 'Dixie' bring a tear to my eye? You bet!
Especially the way Elvis sang it in 'Trilogy!'

Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #6

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
I was born at 8:30 on a Saturday morning, January 25, 1936 in Yalobusha county in North Mississippi. After Mother died I found a paper she had written soon after I was born. In it she described our house as a 'shack.' She wrote that after the doctor was paid for delivering me they had only a quarter to their name. My earliest memory is looking out Mother's kitchen window one sunny winter morning at the frost on the sage grass in the yard. Does 'Dixie' bring a tear to my eye? You bet!
My family has been in the Deep South since George Washington was a new president. I understand exactly how you feel.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

A lot of people where I live consider central and south Florida to be part of the North. North Florida is like south Georgia, but the rest is basically northerners, retired northerners, or Cubans. But northern Florida is just as much Dixie as the rest of the south. Although this thread is random, I find it uplifting.
EDIT: My family's lived in the deep south since the land was available for the white man.

Last edited by Georgiahunter; 01-25-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #8

I want to hear some alligator chasing stories from the rest of you Florida boys. I know you did it. Because I know I did it. So cough them up.

The thing is that once you get used to fighing against alligators as a kid, you're never afraid of anything else in your life. Just give me a stick. I don't care what animal it is!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
So, my only question is: Do you like Florida or no?
The most beautiful places to live in the USA are Hawaii, Florida, and California, in that order. Buuuuuuttttt ..... California is really messed up, by comparison.

Florida definitely has the best scuba diving and warmest waters of them all, for sure.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-24-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
My family has been in the Deep South since George Washington was a new president. I understand exactly how you feel.
As do I also.