Diving Board and Slide?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Diving Board and Slide?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3465 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Default Diving Board and Slide?

I am having a difficult time finding information on injuries caused by the proper use of residential pool slides and diving boards.

My home owner's insurance is telling me I have to remove them from my pool, but they cannot provide me specifics as to why.

Kind of like the push of banning assault weapons based on someone's personal opinion and not fact.

Where can I get non-biased information?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 597 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

Have you seen this one?
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News-Releases/1976/CPSC-Advises-Consumers-On-Swimming-Pool-Safety/

Here is a newer one.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/363624-water-slide-injuries/

Last edited by Airborne1; 05-26-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #3

Liked 103 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Sounds like VA loan garbage. A co-worker tried to buy a house with a pool and the VA or somebody in the approval chain said "No".

Personally I'm tired of insurance companies, mortgage companies, etc,.. telling us what we can and cannot do with our property.

In my area within months after Citi-mortgage bought our loan we had to get flood insurance because we lived in a 100 year flood plain. Now I'm waiting for the class action suit to finish up so I can collect some of my money back. A court decide they were wrong forcing people to pay for this insurance.
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks.
Airbone1, the first reference is good, but there is not report of if the devices were used properly of improperly. Only that accidents happened and percentages by ages. Most could be attributed to improper use.
The second reference is with water parks and not on residential.

I believe that this is a case of where "they" think that "we" are too stupid to do things properly.
I am looking for facts on injuries caused by properly used slides and diving boards.

I am not one to say "Here, hold my beer and watch this!", and I have strict supervision on my pool usage.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8750 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 11599

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Thanks.
Airbone1, the first reference is good, but there is not report of if the devices were used properly of improperly. Only that accidents happened and percentages by ages. Most could be attributed to improper use.
The second reference is with water parks and not on residential.

I believe that this is a case of where "they" think that "we" are too stupid to do things properly.
I am looking for facts on injuries caused by properly used slides and diving boards.

I am not one to say "Here, hold my beer and watch this!", and I have strict supervision on my pool usage.
Unfortunately, the insurance company doesn't know this about you. I'm afraid they are going with the lowest common denominator,

Old 05-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10715 Times on 4638 Posts
Likes Given: 1739

From a Homeowner's insurance standpoint, the insurance company does not care if you Do break your neck in your pool. Not their problem.

Their concern is the 12 year old friend of your kid that breaks HIS neck- and they pay out the policy limits under their LIABILITY coverage. It is a risk they choose NOT to insure- and since the state insurance commission will not let them exclude it from coverage, if they insure you, they must cover it.

Frankly, there were a lot of home pools that will not meet the current standards of depth and reach for a 1 meter board. Some reading for you-

http://diving.about.com/od/Diving-Boards-Diving-Stands/a/New-Springboards-And-FINA-Standards.htm

Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks C3!!
Why can't the insurance company provide me the reason for their decision?

Even Progressive (yeah, the one with Flo) won't provide it to me.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10715 Times on 4638 Posts
Likes Given: 1739

Disclaimer up front- I have never been on the personal lines side of things (like homeowner's insurance, personal auto) but I DID work for the commercial insurance side of things (heavy construction, mining, manufacturing, resorts, etc)

HOWEVER- you have just experienced (IMHO) poor customer service. TELL the customer what is going on.

There were times that I sat down with a customer, said "I will lay my cards out. You have a condition here that we have found to be a major hazard, and we will not insure a business with this condition. IF you will commit to fixing this, and we can set a time frame, we're good. If we can't, I have to call your underwriter today, and your insurance coverage will be suspended."

I HAVE had a few that would get mad. MOST would sit and work with you. But if I found an inoperative fire sprinkler system, padlocked fire doors, unfenced swimming pools, unsecured explosives, I am NOT gonna ignore or accept that. If I do, I have some PERSONAL liability at stake. Either we come to an agreement that day, or we are going to shake hands, and each go our own way.

But you WOULD know why we were going different ways now.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

What annoys me is the insurance company wants you to take down your nice fiberglass slide. But they are OK with you putting up a blow up plastic slide that might be blown over by a strong gust of wind.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Shop around and find another insurance company . I had XXXXXX XXXXXXX group for 26 years and every couple of month I would see a $2-3 increase . Then one day a inspection agent shows up at my door and wants to do a exterior inspection , was there 5 minutes and left . 2 weeks later I got a cancellation notice from my Insurance company because I have 4 steps to my front door and no railing , However if I put a railing up they would continue to keep my policy active. I called my Agent and he said sorry they have implemented all these new rules nothing I can do about it
I went to another company and asked if they had the same policy . He said no thats crazy any company would do that . He beat their price by $200 a year and doubled mine and the wifes life insurance policies . Now keep in mind I had 3 vehicles, a boat, a house , a rental house and 4 life insurance policies . It didnt hurt my feelings to leave and find a better deal and what I think is a better company . No complaints with Country Companies

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens