You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Display or safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Collecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Reinhard, how long have you been collecting?
I am not a true collector, most of the older pieces i inherited from my father. Most of my firearms are for hunting and my personal protection. The collectibles are an old Spring field rolling block 22 that my dad got in the 1920's by selling Vaseline door to door. Would not want that job nowdays! I also have a S&W 44 Russian revolver. My son is the real collector, he got into compeditive shhoting a few years ago, so he has a real passion for collecting and shooting.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I got a hammer and a skill saw that says it will prove you wrong.....
Congratulations, you know the way to Home Depot. Notice the word "Virtually". If I wanted absolute security, I would build a concrete room with rebar inside the 12" thick walls, with a bank vault door. But then again I could just add a turret to each corner of my house and put my wife and kids in them with all of my oldest sons AR's. I wonder how long it would take to get that by the Home Owners Assocation? No, as I said you have to get past the wood door first, then the lexan and steel, by the time you accomplish this, the police will arrive to assist you in your get away. We actually built a mock up and it took 20 minutes to get inside using a 2 lb sledge and a recipericating saw.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #43

Default Personal Protection Protection

dsc03627.jpg

dsc03504.jpg

This is my night stand, It locks with an RFID Lock and can be opened in 2 seconds or less. The tag is on my keychain and unlocks the cabinet when I put them on the top when I get home from work. All that is required is to slide the top and reach for the pistol. When the key is not present the cabinet is locked.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #44

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a couple old heirloom firearms on my wall. But, I made them unoperable.....I leave all the ones that go bang in the safe. Except for one......

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
wow that is a fine looking cabinet,my guns are displayed on the wall and dust is my only problem
Display or safe? - The Club House
Display or safe? - The Club House
Make a wood frame that extends past your Revolvers with a glass front, and attach from the back side of your display boards. Still displays well and no dust.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilbert View Post
Make a wood frame that extends past your Revolvers with a glass front, and attach from the back side of your display boards. Still displays well and no dust.
I had the same idea ,but the glass front proofed to be to heavy for the wooden frame

Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #47

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I began to collect when I was 16 ,the first gun I owned was a smith&wesson pump action in cal .12,over the years I gathered a lot of guns ,most of them vintage flintlock rifles,,when my dad past away(1983) , I also inheretid his collection,but in 2007 gunlawes changed and the guns I always favoured where free for sale ,so I sold my whole collection of old hunting rifles and flintlocks and started to collect the guns that I always loved ,COLT'S and SMITH&WESSON revolvers...it must have something to do with watching westerns in my young day's LOL, anyway I purchased my first Colt in 2007, and started to collect the smith's on the fourth of July 2010
one thing I regret very much ,and that is selling my new in the box "1911 automatic" serial 5508XX and a customized Hoag colt in 45 acp with square triggerguard,that is almost twentyfive years ago and still brings a tear to my eye when I think of it
Bummer about selling that Hoag 1911. Jim's old work is quite collectible now. He used to put his name on the feed rail of the slide, but does not do that anymore due to liability concerns. My 70 Series Gov't is a Hoag that was done around 1980. I'll never get rid of it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #48

Every thing is virtually safe, even a safe. Most can be entered thru the side using a diegrinder. But it would be even easier to just use a safe jack and pop it loose from its anchors, roll yhe whole thing out and into a waiting truck. I do know the way to Home Depot and Lowes. Unfortunately they do not sell RFID locks, Steel frames or Lexan. But thank you for your commentary.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I plan on having a lot of guns (about 100) so I plan on building a safe room some day. It will be a large, fireproof (maybe) room with a very thick safe door. It will have cabinets lining the walls with the guns on display. I may take it one step farther and make one of those sliding bookcase doors to conceal it. I will only do this if the cost is within my budget at the time.