Display or safe?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Display or safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Display or safe?

Friday night we went to dinner at a presons home I know from my business and have become friends. After dinner he and I went to his office/den to talk about cars and smoke cigars. I was surprised to see his gun collection displayed. His colection is 50+. I tried not to stare but it was hard to not look/stare. He smiled and said that he likes guns. I told him that I like them too! As we talked about his collections he mentioned that he had been to my house and he never saw a gun. I told him I keep most of them in a safe the rest are scattered here and there in the house.

I have to say I like the idea of displaying a collection but always thought it was best to keep them in a safe. I don't have any kids at home anymore so that isn't the issue. I was more concerned with a break in and what a wall of guns would to a theif. I have a good security system and live in a good neighborhood.

So what do you guys do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #2

It would depend on the crime rate where you live, and only then they would be displayed in my den where only good friends that I know will be able to come.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I might have an open display if I lived in a rural area with a tall fence, a good alarm, and a mean dog. Otherwise I think you are smart to have your collection in a safe.

For me its more than just the loss that I worry about. While insurance can replace things (except heirloom items), I don't want my guns on the street for some criminal to perpetrate a crime with.

Of course you could always have a vault like this, and get the best of both worlds Why can't I be rich?

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 03-29-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dam! it has a place to set and say dam again! that is a sweet vault! A bit above my level in life. I live in a good area, my property is fenced, have a good alarm system and two hyper dogs (a lab and a rot).

Old 03-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dog or no dog, as responsible gun owners we need to lock them up. If someone steals your gun it's a crime. If someone shoots your neighbor with a gun they stoled from you........Do I need to say more?

Last edited by hunter Joe; 03-31-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I might have an open display if I lived in a rural area with a tall fence, a good alarm, and a mean dog. Otherwise I think you are smart to have your collection in a safe.

For me its more than just the loss that I worry about. While insurance can replace things (except heirloom items), I don't want my guns on the street for some criminal to perpetrate a crime with.

Of course you could always have a vault like this, and get the best of both worlds Why can't I be rich?

I got those pics in an e-mail that said that was Chuck Heston's collection. Upon researching that, I learned it was more likely to be the collection of another big wig in the NRA, but I can't remember his name right now.

If that were my vault, I would only leave to go to the range!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #7

We only began actively exercising our 2A rights recently - we just have a couple pistols and a collection of parts that represents about 1-1/2 AR's once they are assembled (patiently waiting for the right barrel for the second gun .... *tapping feet*).

We have small, quick access bedside safes from Titan for the pistols, and an AMSEC BF6032 safe will be installed within the next week or so. At this point I think we've invested nearly as much money in safes as we have in the guns themselves.

This is in a household of 2 adults with dogs, and we rarely have any kids around except in the rare instance that we have family visiting from out of state. We're fortunate to live in a community with a very low crime rate, but the last thing I would want to happen is for my guns to fall into the wrong hands. Also, we live in an area with a relatively high risk of wildfire, so it will be nice to know it's not essential to evacuate all our guns in that event.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I've also heard that you are more likely to get shot by your own gun.
If you leave a gun out a burglar can instantly become an armed robber. Then you or your wife comes walking in…
If I was going to have a display gun I’d be sure there was no ammo for it in the house.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good advise, but my 9mm and .45 government are either on my hip or in the nightstand drawer. I live in an area that has seen break-ins and petty theft. When I'm gone, everything including my knives, long bow and samurai sword are in the safe!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I always wanted a built-in wood gun case the length of one wall, the one in Bonanza in the Ponderosa comes to mind...I will build another log home someday and will have one like that. It will hold my lever guns and black powder rifles, replica revolvers, and cap and ball single shot's.
There will be either a metal rod or chain passing through each rifles trigger guard. My AR-15's and handguns will go in the safe!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 03-29-2009 at 08:59 PM.