Dish Network dropping the "amc" channel on July 1
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dish Network dropping the "amc" channel on July 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Dish Network dropping the "amc" channel on July 1

Those of you out there that love the shows like

The walking dead
Hell on wheels
Breaking bad
The killing
Mad men

Are gonna be losing them after july 1st if you have Dish Network.....FYI

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Noise and posturing

Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #3

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
Noise and posturing
You dont think that it will happen? I have directv, but i know quite a few walking dead fans that have dish

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I am sure that it won't happen....they'll work something out. It seems like awhile back Direct TV was saying the same thing about TBS and a few other channels...nothing ever happened.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
I am sure that it won't happen....they'll work something out. It seems like awhile back Direct TV was saying the same thing about TBS and a few other channels...nothing ever happened.
I also saw the DirecTV "notice" of intention to drop certain channels. I'm wondering about the action. Is it really a plan to drop said channel/s or is it a way to get customer feedback, in the receipt of letters, emails and phone calls about said channels? As you noted, DirecTV didn't drop the channels so maybe Dish, feeling the competiton from DirecTV, wants to get an idea of just how many people are actually watching.

The premise is very simple. Leak the information that a certain channel will be dropped and let the media and other satellite/cable providers pay for making the ads announcing the "termination." Then sit back and watch the feedback from customers....customers who might NOT say anything about the service until something goes/is going wrong.

There is also the cost involved in keeping a channel on the lineup. These services have to pay to show the programs on those channels (not quite that way but it serves this purpose) and if that particular channel raises the price of "showing" it, the satellite/cable company either ponies up the money or they just drop the channel.

Either way, it all boils down to money...the cost of doing business and running the company.

Last edited by AcidFlashGordon; 06-24-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
Either way, it all boils down to money...the cost of doing business and running the company.
Few years ago, when Direct had a huge price jump, I said, this is way too expensive for what we are getting. Started breaking down our TV watching into categories. There were only two non OTA shows that fell into the must watch category. Were 26 one our episodes (two shows) worth $60 per month? Decision was easy to got to a TIVO with an OTA antenna. That's when I discovered that you could purchase individual shows from Amazon and have them DL to the TIVO.

Don't miss the expense one bit! About the only time I really miss having cable/satellite available is for local college football games, but even then, they moved most of the games to yet another premium channel.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

We got notice from our cable company that amc was threatening to have a huge increase in fees to the cable company. We told them amc wasn't worth keeping & we'd not accept an increase in charges to keep it. Later we got a notice that they had reached an agreement. No word yet if they plan an increase.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
We got notice from our cable company that amc was threatening to have a huge increase in fees to the cable company. We told them amc wasn't worth keeping & we'd not accept an increase in charges to keep it. Later we got a notice that they had reached an agreement. No word yet if they plan an increase.
Directv dropped WGN for a while and it came back pretty quick. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll be back I would hope.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl

Directv dropped WGN for a while and it came back pretty quick. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll be back I would hope.
Same thing with fox and the cW. Both reached an agreement rapido.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #10

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Anyone with Dish that wants to switch to Directv, I'll give you $50 of my $100 "sign up a friend" bonus if you choose me

I think they might do it because Mad Men just ended for the season so most people won't care for another year.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson