Disc Golf

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Disc Golf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Disc Golf

Just thought I would share one of my next favorite past-time after firearms. After spending money on a video camera equal to a 1911, I decided to get going on some videos. These are the first videos I have created. I'm still experimenting with video editing software, and I decided to combine a previous career of audio to add some music. Hope you like it, and feel free to comment or add constructive criticism.

For those of you who don't know what Disc Golf is Disc golf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This course is at http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/tul/tulhome.htm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 03-13-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I love disc golf, since about 1997. I never really took it seriously enough to get past amateur though.

I like how there was a music break at like 5:10 when dude slips trying to drive. I've never played in snow; i'd need to use a different putter.

Nice job on the vid. A number of times, the music matched the action very well; it's no Dark Side of Oz, but cool nonetheless.

Last edited by orangello; 03-13-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I love disc golf, since about 1997. I never really took it seriously enough to get past amateur though.

I like how there was a music break at like 5:10 when dude slips trying to drive. I've never played in snow; i'd need to use a different putter.

Nice job on the vid. A number of times, the music matched the action very well; it's no Dark Side of Oz, but cool nonetheless.
That was me slipping btw, thank you. Im still amateur too. I don't get out enough to ever make it to pro.
I like it mostly for the exercise I get hiking around in the woods. Playing a skills sport is just a bonus.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I find it incredible that you guys can throw a disc that hard through the woods without hitting the trees. I know you probably hit them occasionally but if I didn't it I'd end up with a busted disc within a minute or so. A guy I used to work construction with used to play alot of frisbee and he could throw one further than I ever saw anybody throw one before. Pretty creative sport too.

Also, are they just standard frisbees or are they special competition discs?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

you guys are for real? This is like college kids playing quidditch (Hary Potter game)

I guess to each there own.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I find it incredible that you guys can throw a disc that hard through the woods without hitting the trees. I know you probably hit them occasionally but if I didn't it I'd end up with a busted disc within a minute or so. A guy I used to work construction with used to play alot of frisbee and he could throw one further than I ever saw anybody throw one before. Pretty creative sport too.

Also, are they just standard frisbees or are they special competition discs?
Yes, we do hit trees occasionally. But the discs are designed to hold up to A LOT. It is very hard to break them. The discs do more damage to the tree than vise-versa.

They are special discs, they have to be PDGA approved, you can't just go out and use any old beach frisbee. The two biggest manufacturers of PDGA approved discs are Discraft and Innova.
Disc Golf Products from Discraft
INNOVA Champion - #1 in Disc Golf
There are many different discs that will fly certain ways and different distances, similar to real golf. So you would "tee off" with a driver disc, then throw a midrange disc to get closer to the basket, then a putter to finish up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
you guys are for real? This is like college kids playing quidditch (Hary Potter game)

YouTube - Vassar Quidditch Team

I guess to each there own.
I almost spit out my coffee on that. I couldn't finish watching the video. That is a whole different level of geekdom. To each his own is correct.

But unlike "quidditch", in order to play disc golf and be somewhat good at it, you need to have a lot of hand-eye coordination skill and be physically fit to actually make it around the course. Each round is equivalent to a two mile hike. cpttango, if you play a few rounds a day for a couple weeks, you'll lose that beer belly in no time.

I was a smoker for 7 years and decided to quit because I wanted to become a PO. I kicked it cold turkey but my lungs were f*cked. Just being out on the disc golf helped me get my lung power back. I used to only be able to play 9 holes and now I'm up to two rounds of 18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!