Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dirty Harry and the 44 mag. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dirty-harry-44-mag-24590/)

willshoum 03-13-2010 04:31 AM

Dirty Harry and the 44 mag.

People,People,People. Can any of you Dirty Harry buffs tell me if Harry used a 44 mag in one movie that was not his personal revolver, but one that was semi auto and stainless or chrome. If I remember it looked like a cannon. In this movie Harry is taking target practice when this guy with the semi auto walks up behind him, and Harry turns around and sticks his 44 mag in the guys face. Well? Like The Man Said. I Gots to know. click. Wills in da Swamp In La. One Shot One Kill......

freefall 03-13-2010 04:50 AM

I believe it was "Sudden Impact", he had a .44 Automag.

willshoum 03-13-2010 05:14 AM

Dirty Harry and the 44 Mag.

Believe it or not I had the opportunity to purchase this cannon of a gun for $500.00 Brand new and still in the box. I say had the chance. Being a new father making a whopping $2.00 an hr. back in the early 70's put a stop to what was an investment. Can you tell me what today's price would be. Thanks Wills in da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill......

Poink88 03-13-2010 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshoum (Post 247131)
People,People,People. Can any of you Dirty Harry buffs tell me if Harry used a 44 mag in one movie that was not his personal revolver, but one that was semi auto and stainless or chrome. If I remember it looked like a cannon. In this movie Harry is taking target practice when this guy with the semi auto walks up behind him, and Harry turns around and sticks his 44 mag in the guys face. Well? Like The Man Said. I Gots to know. click. Wills in da Swamp In La. One Shot One Kill......

Yep a semi-auto that almost looks like a dessert eagle (not as fancy but a cannon none the less). The guy who sneaked behind him (a good guy) used a shotgun and said his (shottie) can erase finger prints. Harry replied, so can his .44 magnum (or something like that).

Benning Boy 03-13-2010 06:18 AM

Seen them as high as $7000.:eek:

TXnorton 03-13-2010 09:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have one. Reading this thread caused me to go pull it out of the gunsafe.

My best friend's Dad had bought this in the late 1970's after the 4th Dirty Harry movie featuring this pistol came out. We used to shoot it a lot back then, and I always coveted that pistol.

Sometime around 1996 or so, my buddy's Dad ran into IRS troubles and needed cash, so I bought it from him to help him out (and also beacuse I had always wanted that pistol!). I paid him $1,000. Value today is probably about $1400-$1500. I have the original plastic case and the instruction book that it came with.

My AutoMag was manufactured for TDE by High Standard. IIRC, TDE marketed/sold these and had manufacturing done by several manufacturers.

I have only shot the AutoMag a few times, I guess I'll have to take it to the range again soon. I have about 300 rounds of CorBon ammo for it that I found available back in the late 90's, but I also have the dies so I do re-load for it, same load as I use in my .44 Mag re-loads for my 629.

My buddy's Dad made the grip panels that shown in these photos, I still have the original black plastic grip panels.

gorknoids 03-14-2010 07:25 PM

Here's a good deal of gouge on the company and their products. I'm taking the S/A Backup in .380 to the range in a couple of hours (My daughter has the day off and she's going!!)

Ian's AMT Information site

c3shooter 03-15-2010 01:42 AM

I have a few rounds of the 44 Automag in my colelction- and 1 round of .357 Automag.

BTW- the revolver used in the original dirty harry movie was touted in the script as a 44 magnum- was actually a 41 magnum.

TXnorton 03-15-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 248628)
I have a few rounds of the 44 Automag in my colelction- and 1 round of .357 Automag.

BTW- the revolver used in the original dirty harry movie was touted in the script as a 44 magnum- was actually a 41 magnum.

I never knew that! But that movie SOLD thousands of Model 29's!