The dirtiest gun I have ever cleaned
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The dirtiest gun I have ever cleaned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10409 Times on 4490 Posts
Likes Given: 1654

Default The dirtiest gun I have ever cleaned

Just finished up- for now.

I thought I had seen some cruddy guns. M-60s that shot thousands of rounds on a training range. Rifles that had been slept with in a swamp for a month. Old side by side shotguns that had never been taken down for cleaning. S&Ws from a small sheriff's dept that had not been out of the holster in 6 years.

I was wrong. I had not yet seen the REALLY dirty gun. Until today.

The culprit- a .22 caliber Ruger. Call it a Mk 1. When it was made in 1957, there was no Mk II. It was a Ruger .22 auto pistol. I picked this up for a song at a local dealer. It is wearing a ported bull barrel, a non-standard micrometer rear sight, and a set over oversized walnut target stocks. Overtravel screw in the trigger. And it was D I R T Y. But it shot well.

Today was cleaning day. I marshaled the forces of light, got my big sippy cup of iced tea, and a good spot in the shade on the back deck. The gun came apart without great fuss, just gentle persuasion with a plastic faced mallet. OH. MY. LORD.

I really do not think this gun has been cleaned since it left Bill Ruger's place. The bore was not bad- except the ported section, with has at least 1/8th of an inch of carbon inside. THAT got a soak in Kroil. Bore got a scrub with Hoppes and a brass brush. Bolt went INTO the bottle of Hoppes.

But the action! Ahhhh! Or more correctly- ARRRGGGHHH! Not just the chamber area and the bolt channel- there was dirt all the way down the mag well. There was enuff wax in the trigger group I could have put a wick in there, and used it for a birthday candle.

Soaked metal with Hoppes. While soaking, used a small pick to pull out chunks of wax (powder solvent does not work worth a hoot on wax)

Finally tally- 1 can spray gunscrubber, 1 full LARGE can of carb cleaner, 1/2 large bottle of Hoppes. dose of Kroil, 20 Q-tips, 20 patches. 2 large clean rags. Final spray down with CLP, wipe down, re-assembly.

Will head for the range next weekend, but I find it astounding that this one shot at all. 58 years old and still shooting.

I think the EPA sees me as a hazardous waste generator, and the gun may be lighter now.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sounds like you need an ultrasonic cleaner.

zaitsev44 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10409 Times on 4490 Posts
Likes Given: 1654

After THIS one, I have given serious thought to that!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3834 Times on 2619 Posts
Likes Given: 1913

Good life

Old 05-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1334 Posts
Likes Given: 12170

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

I thought I had seen some cruddy guns. M-60s that shot thousands of rounds on a training range. Rifles that had been slept with in a swamp for a month. Old side by side shotguns that had never been taken down for cleaning. S&Ws from a small sheriff's dept that had not been out of the holster in 6 years.

The culprit- a .22 caliber Ruger. Call it a Mk 1. When it was made in 1957, there was no Mk II. It was a Ruger .22 auto pistol. I picked this up for a song at a local dealer. It is wearing a ported bull barrel, a non-standard micrometer rear sight, and a set over oversized walnut target stocks. Overtravel screw in the trigger. And it was D I R T Y. But it shot well.

Today was cleaning day. I marshaled the forces of light, got my big sippy cup of iced tea, and a good spot in the shade on the back deck. The gun came apart without great fuss, just gentle persuasion with a plastic faced mallet. OH. MY. LORD.

I really do not think this gun has been cleaned since it left Bill Ruger's place. The bore was not bad- except the ported section, with has at least 1/8th of an inch of carbon inside. THAT got a soak in Kroil. Bore got a scrub with Hoppes and a brass brush. Bolt went INTO the bottle of Hoppes.

But the action! Ahhhh! Or more correctly- ARRRGGGHHH! Not just the chamber area and the bolt channel- there was dirt all the way down the mag well. There was enuff wax in the trigger group I could have put a wick in there, and used it for a birthday candle.

Soaked metal with Hoppes. While soaking, used a small pick to pull out chunks of wax (powder solvent does not work worth a hoot on wax)

Finally tally- 1 can spray gunscrubber, 1 full LARGE can of carb cleaner, 1/2 large bottle of Hoppes. dose of Kroil, 20 Q-tips, 20 patches. 2 large clean rags. Final spray down with CLP, wipe down, re-assembly.

Will head for the range next weekend, but I find it astounding that this one shot at all. 58 years old and still shooting.

I think the EPA sees me as a hazardous waste generator, and the gun may be lighter now.
Beats my worst. A Charter arms AR7 Explorer that had not been cleaned since the second owner bought it in 1990. The rifle was pretty much a single shot by thr tine I bought it as it would jam every other round. Total tear down and an overnight soak in gunzilla followed by some serious brushing wore out a military "toothbrush") copper brush down the barrel, and a quick look up for an exploded view online, I was able to get it to fire 3 to 4 rounds between jams.

Chaber work and magazine fitting fixed that problem in the end, and not it get a cleaning each time it is taken out to the range, and twice a year if it is just sitting around. There should be laws against neglecting a firearm to that degree.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
That looks like it hurt
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1095 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Quote:

Where are the pictures dang git......
Cokodwok Likes This 
Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #7

Liked 296 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 176

My brothers Nylon 66. The moron asked me to fix it. He complained about it not cycling and thought that it was all busted up. I think there were squirrel parts in the feeding tube. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned since........'66 Half brother.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1886 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4231

I think I've got you all beat? My Dad found a Savage 20g in the woods across from our house. I forget how many years it had laid on the ground (cocked with a slug in it). It even had termites in the stock! I started the cleaning process with a grinder and sand paper. I turned it into a pretty decent shotgun and took a lot of critters with it.
People Like This 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8545 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 11165

Quote:

That pistol is going to thank you, C3. I bet it was kind of fun to see the gun all put together and cleaned up. We'll need a range report.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts

I tip my hat to c3shooter & TLuker! The dirtiest I've had was a Marlin 70 pre-1968 (no SN) that I got as a parts gun. It had likely never been cleaned with heavy gum all over the internals. It ran like a champ after a thorough cleaning and lubrication.