Dinner, what's up? - Page 79
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dinner, what's up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #781
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Baked steak in mushroom soup, onions, seasoned with ms dash and cracked pepper, mashed potatoes, green and yellow beans.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #782
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Baked Macaroni 'n' Cheese. My granddaughter didn't like it. I had to zap her up a Kraft Macaroni 'n' Cheese cup. *sigh*

In my house it would be whatever I made or nothing. 10 times out of 10 the kid likes what I made better than whatever they said they wanted instead. This includes other people's kids, nieces, nephews or what have you.

'Course I don't have any grandkids yet. But right now I would say I would do the same thing. Eat what I made or go hungry.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
willshoum Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #783
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
In my house it would be whatever I made or nothing. 10 times out of 10 the kid likes what I made better than whatever they said they wanted instead. This includes other people's kids, nieces, nephews or what have you.

'Course I don't have any grandkids yet. But right now I would say I would do the same thing. Eat what I made or go hungry.
Yeah, talk to me when you have grandkids. I just remember as a kid, my Mom would make something she knew we didn't like. She would always make us fish sticks or grilled cheese. I think it's perfectly fine for children to have taste preferences just like we adults have. I would never invite YOU over for dinner and not cook something I knew you would enjoy. Kids taste buds are not the same as an adults. I wouldn't cook another full dinner for my children but to zap a cup of mac 'n' cheese or let them have a bowl of cereal or a PB & J isn't too difficult.

You know how we make all our mistakes with our first child? I once forced my oldest son to taste something he vehemently didn't want to taste. He was about 2-3 years old. I wouldn't take "no" for an answer and I forced him to taste it. He was so upset and the taste was so terrible to him he actually threw up. I felt very bad for him and I felt like an absolute bully. It also kind of ruined everyone's dinner. Having someone throw up at the dinner table is never a good thing.

Like I said, I think it is respectful to not force a child to eat something they don't like. I'm not saying let them call the shots and demand something different every night. They are humans and individuals with individual tastes and I can honor that on occasion.

That's just my opinion. My kids are not spoiled brats and they are respectful and compassionate of others as I tried to be towards them.
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #784

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

my father took a different approach and one still use this day. if we said we didn't like something, his question was, "have you ever tried it?" he said if we tried something and we honestly didn't like it, then we never had to eat it again. but i was really suprised at the things i tried and actually liked. to this day i will try something at least once before i condemn it!
I had the same thing growing up, the only thing I've really ever tried that I don't like are mushrooms, unless they are morrels, thems are tasty!

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #785
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Yeah, talk to me when you have grandkids. I just remember as a kid, my Mom would make something she knew we didn't like. She would always make us fish sticks or grilled cheese. I think it's perfectly fine for children to have taste preferences just like we adults have. I would never invite YOU over for dinner and not cook something I knew you would enjoy. Kids taste buds are not the same as an adults. I wouldn't cook another full dinner for my children but to zap a cup of mac 'n' cheese or let them have a bowl of cereal or a PB & J isn't too difficult.

You know how we make all our mistakes with our first child? I once forced my oldest son to taste something he vehemently didn't want to taste. He was about 2-3 years old. I wouldn't take "no" for an answer and I forced him to taste it. He was so upset and the taste was so terrible to him he actually threw up. I felt very bad for him and I felt like an absolute bully. It also kind of ruined everyone's dinner. Having someone throw up at the dinner table is never a good thing.

Like I said, I think it is respectful to not force a child to eat something they don't like. I'm not saying let them call the shots and demand something different every night. They are humans and individuals with individual tastes and I can honor that on occasion.

That's just my opinion. My kids are not spoiled brats and they are respectful and compassionate of others as I tried to be towards them.
I always will try to make something that will be enjoyed, and I never force anyone to eat anything. I do accommodate people's different tastes and all. But if I make home-made mac & cheese I won't make another batch of Kraft. They can eat what I cooked or not. Not once has a kid died of starvation under my care (at least not yet). If I like something and I know the kids don't like it (like Brussels sprouts) I will only make enough for myself, and have something additional for them. But they have tried them.

One thing I will say is that my kids have always had rather complex tastes in food, probably in large part because we never cooked separate meals for them, it was one meal for the family and that was it. I remember one time when the boys were probably 3 and 5 we went to a Mexican restaurant for my birthday and my sister just about freaked when the boys went for the chips and salsa as it was a bit spicy. She was totally freaked out when they loved it. She would prepare separate (bland) meals for her daughters every day. To this day they have very "delicate" palates and can't eat interesting foods.

Oh, and my mom did the same thing you did. Forced me to eat zuchini (cooked- which is the worst kind) and I puked all over the table. I haven't eaten zuchini since then. Can't stand the stuff.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #786

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Working graveyard I do not eat much. I do bring a lot of snacks but most of the time it does not even get touched.
I bring a pink lady apple (or honeycrisp if in stock), cheese, crackers, pretzels, tapatio doritos, and a couple pieces of candy. I also do not eat much during the work week so I will probaly eat a can of soup a day and then on thursday (my friday) I am hoping to get a buffalo chicken pizza and rent a few movies.

I am not use to graveyard shift and I hate it and eating crappy like this I am hoping to get swing or day shifts or possibly just change jobs asap (I have a few apps in with pepsi, ups, and a few local stores).

Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #787
fev

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post

I am not use to graveyard shift and I hate it and eating crappy like this I am hoping to get swing or day shifts or possibly just change jobs asap (I have a few apps in with pepsi, ups, and a few local stores).
I've been working graves for 15 yrs / 12 hr shifts. Your body will get use to it. Tonight it is mac & cheese with hot dogs, tacos, apple pie, cc cookies, a pop, & maybe a piece of cheese cake that is in the vending machine.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #788

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fev View Post

I've been working graves for 15 yrs / 12 hr shifts. Your body will get use to it. Tonight it is mac & cheese with hot dogs, tacos, apple pie, cc cookies, a pop, & maybe a piece of cheese cake that is in the vending machine.
That is what I hear but unfortunately this particular company does not have a lot to offer career wise. No raises no benefits so I am actively seeking new work. It is also a site in which the whole contract can be voided at anytime. I work on a week to week basis so it gets a tad stressful. I am beyond happy to have a job I just hope another one pops up soon. I have also done turn around shifts which is 8 hrs on 8 off then back to work. It is no fun work sleep work and no time to yourself

Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #789
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Working graveyard I do not eat much. I do bring a lot of snacks but most of the time it does not even get touched.
I bring a pink lady apple (or honeycrisp if in stock), cheese, crackers, pretzels, tapatio doritos, and a couple pieces of candy. I also do not eat much during the work week so I will probaly eat a can of soup a day and then on thursday (my friday) I am hoping to get a buffalo chicken pizza and rent a few movies.

I have worked the graveyard shift and actually prefer it. But I hope you find something more to your liking.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #790
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Man of the house....

My father was THE cook in the house, There were never any left overs.... I think today I'll try one of his favorites...... Fresh calves liver smothered down in oinions and oyster mushrooms, served over creamed taters........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........