Dinner, what's up? - Page 287
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dinner, what's up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #2861
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
I will put beans in chili when it is to be the main course,, if I make chili for a Frito pie, or to put over potatoes or for the wife to put over salad or rolled tacos, I do not. I also like to take smoked sausage, slice it into medallions and fry it up and then pour chili on top,, you can feel your arteries clogging up but it is tasty.
The only thing I pour chili over is hotdogs and sometimes mainly to gross out the wife chili cheese fries and then I just buy a can of chili w/o beans. Now what the heck is chili con carne. When I was a teen I used to spend weeks at a time during the summer at the Atlanta Farmers Market selling produce for my Uncle while he went home to get another load and sleep in a real bed and I ate mostly out of vending machines since I was making $5 a day. I ate a lot of cans of chili con carne.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 03-13-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #2862
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Tonight I'll debone a couple of chicken breasts, batter and fry them, toast a couple of buns and have chicken sandwishes with tater tots.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #2863
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 581 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Those tater tots sound good string,, my wife puts them in the oven, but I prefer to deep fry them,, not as healthy but taste better to me.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #2864
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Those tater tots sound good string,, my wife puts them in the oven, but I prefer to deep fry them,, not as healthy but taste better to me.
I agree. My wife says I could eat a dog turd if it was fried. Try wrapping a half piece of bacon around tater tots and pin with a toothpick then fry. Ummmmmmmm bacon.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #2865
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Funny you should mention deep fried tater tots. I just introduced VikinGal to that delicacy the other night. Methinks we will be preparing them that way from here on out now!

By the way, you can deep fry them and still eat healthy. When the food comes in contact with the oil, the heat essentially boils the food’s moisture and steam cooks it from the inside. In a delicate equilibrium of deep frying, the steam keeps the oil from getting into the food, and the oil keeps the food’s moisture inside.

Ideal deep frying temperatures are generally 350°-375°. Lower than 325° and the oil will be absorbed into the food, making it greasy. Much higher than 375° and you run the risk of additional oxidation in the oil as well as dried out food (both are unhealthy).

Using an oil with a high smoke point is also important. Palm oil is great, as is peanut oil or even virgin olive oil (not extra virgin mind you- that has a lower smoke point). Animal fat is also really good to use, lard is awesome.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #2866
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Funny you should mention deep fried tater tots. I just introduced VikinGal to that delicacy the other night. Methinks we will be preparing them that way from here on out now!

By the way, you can deep fry them and still eat healthy. When the food comes in contact with the oil, the heat essentially boils the food’s moisture and steam cooks it from the inside. In a delicate equilibrium of deep frying, the steam keeps the oil from getting into the food, and the oil keeps the food’s moisture inside.

Ideal deep frying temperatures are generally 350°-375°. Lower than 325° and the oil will be absorbed into the food, making it greasy. Much higher than 375° and you run the risk of additional oxidation in the oil as well as dried out food (both are unhealthy).

Using an oil with a high smoke point is also important. Palm oil is great, as is peanut oil or even virgin olive oil (not extra virgin mind you- that has a lower smoke point). Animal fat is also really good to use, lard is awesome.
my stepmom would make huge batches of mashed potatoes when she made them. she did so, so she would have leftover mash potatoes to make fried mash potato pancakes! she would serve them with thin pan fried steaks and gravy, and homemade biscuits! Mmmmmmm goooood!

my stepmom was one helluva a cook!

Old 03-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #2867

Liked 186 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have to agree. i prefer beans in my chili as do most people that eat mine do. but going over the rules for most chili cooking associations, beans are not allowed.

here's one for everyone. what do you like to put in your chili when eating it. crackers, fritos, or cornbread?
Yes to all of the add-ons , also add hot sauce & Texas garlic toast
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #2868

Liked 2119 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

I had a wrap stuffed with grilled chicken, avocado, cashews, lime juice, and a little pesto. About a ice cream scoop of potato salad on the side.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #2869
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 966 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1377usmc View Post
I make my chili so that added hot sauce is unnecessary.

I like beans in mine, and also add some unsweetened chocolate to the pot. The Aztecs were on to something good - chiles and chocolate go together like grits and eggs, or tequila and lime.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #2870
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1377usmc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I make my chili so that added hot sauce is unnecessary.

I like beans in mine, and also add some unsweetened chocolate to the pot. The Aztecs were on to something good - chiles and chocolate go together like grits and eggs, or tequila and lime.
most of the chili cook-off competition rules state no beans or pasta in the chili. i had thought i had read a few years ago that some added a new class for chili with beans to be jusdged seperately from the regular judging, but as much as i searched, i couldn't fine anything that mentioned it.

the key to the heat of the chili is the flavor. a person can stand hotter foods if the flavor is good. my secret ingrediant in chili is dark mollasses and brown sugar. and yes, i use a lot of very hot peppers in my chili! lots of them!

i have been working on my chili recipe for a good number of years now. my ingrediants haven't changed much over the years, but some of my cooking methods have. the method i use now is cooking the meat in a skillet with half of the onions, garlic and peppers cooked with the meat. the other half or those go in the other cooking pot with the beans and tomatoes. one of my key ingrediants is fresh cilantro. some is added in while cooking the meat as well as some fresh added with the other ingrediants in the cooking pot. fresh cilantro is the only way to go. the dried in the spice bottle just doesn't compare in the least. fresh cilantro and cumin powder were two key ingrediants that i added to the recipe a few years ago.