Dinner, what's up? - Page 258
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dinner, what's up?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #2571
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,964
Liked 7820 Times on 4693 Posts
Likes Given: 9848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
OMG! I forgot to tell Y'all about dinner the other night. My housemate and I went to the Boulder Creek Brewing Company for dinner- a little out-of-the-way place in a tiny little town in the Santa Cruz Mountains- where I have eaten before a couple of times.

First thing on th emenu under appetizers is (no sh!t) "Deep Fried Avocado". OK, now I am not a huge fan of avocados, but I do like them a little bit, but this sounded intriguing. I have had any number of deep-fried foods, most of which are freaking awesome, but avocado? Fried? I cannot for the life of me think of more than a couple of things that have cooked avocado in them that are any good. Avocados don't cook well. They just don't!!

So I ask the waiter about it and he was sort of coy, but said it was good and we should try it. blah blah blah.

Ohmygawd! I am absolutely freaking in LOOOVVVE with this food! Hawt Damn that was some great food! They are heavily breaded in what seems to be Panko crumbs with a little bit of "heat" to them. They then seem to be fried in a really freaking hot oil so the outside is crispy and the avocado is firm and only slightly warm. Its a whole lot of awesome! The waiter came by later and I said he did the perfect balance of underselling and over-delivering. I took a pic, but too badyou can't try them for yourself!!!
I love avacados. That looks delicious. I sometimes cut an avacado in half and just scoop it out of it's skin with a spoon and eat it just like that.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #2572
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I love avacados. That looks delicious. I sometimes cut an avacado in half and just scoop it out of it's skin with a spoon and eat it just like that.
i can eat quacamole by the bowlful! i always get a large side order of it when we eat Mexican food. i would definately try out some fried avacado. it does sound pretty good.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #2573
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
OMG! I forgot to tell Y'all about dinner the other night. My housemate and I went to the Boulder Creek Brewing Company for dinner- a little out-of-the-way place in a tiny little town in the Santa Cruz Mountains- where I have eaten before a couple of times. First thing on th emenu under appetizers is (no sh!t) "Deep Fried Avocado". OK, now I am not a huge fan of avocados, but I do like them a little bit, but this sounded intriguing. I have had any number of deep-fried foods, most of which are freaking awesome, but avocado? Fried? I cannot for the life of me think of more than a couple of things that have cooked avocado in them that are any good. Avocados don't cook well. They just don't!! So I ask the waiter about it and he was sort of coy, but said it was good and we should try it. blah blah blah. Ohmygawd! I am absolutely freaking in LOOOVVVE with this food! Hawt Damn that was some great food! They are heavily breaded in what seems to be Panko crumbs with a little bit of "heat" to them. They then seem to be fried in a really freaking hot oil so the outside is crispy and the avocado is firm and only slightly warm. Its a whole lot of awesome! The waiter came by later and I said he did the perfect balance of underselling and over-delivering. I took a pic, but too badyou can't try them for yourself!!!
Love it in Guac, not a fan of it raw, but I'll take your word on the fried. Always get extra anytime we do Mexican out.
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #2574
Yep, it was as good as you could imagine
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pengie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois with another FTF member. ; )
Posts: 350
Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Everybody vacations down south. Polar bears just go further south than most.

Why, you ask?

For the salty sweet taste of freshly roasted penguins.

Penguins on a spit! BEST CARNIVAL FOOD IDEA EVER!
I don't know what your problem is, Delta. I noticed somewhere you posted you were short. Are you compensating? WoC has been keeping me away from the computer because she doesn't want me to get banned for something I might say. But she's out of the house right now and I got hold of the PC.

I don't know what prompted you to begin to pick on us penguins but I wish you'd cut it out. I have risen above your rude and childish antics and tried to be a better bird than you are a man.

Let's take our disagreements to PM's. Feel free to take any complaints to the Mods. Just know, I'm in a close relationship with one of them.

I don't mention roasting and eating humans, so cut the crap about roasting and eating penguins.
__________________
Pengie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #2575
Yep, it was as good as you could imagine
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pengie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois with another FTF member. ; )
Posts: 350
Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Attachment 132504

YUM! The BEST supper ever. Especially if ya roast em while they're still kicking!
You are sick, SICK, SICK. You must have suffered some trauma somewhere along the way to make you act like this.
__________________
Pengie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #2576
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,203
Liked 2443 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Thought it was all part of the circle of life little brother. Penguins eat fish, people eat penguins, polar bears eat people, polar bears get shot and thrown in the ocean, fish eat polar bears.

As to my height, You have struck upon the exact reason for my behavior. I am told that the consumption of omega 3-6-9 oils and certain fatty acids can induce late stage growth in adult humans. Guess what penguin meat and blubber has a high concentration of?

Speaking of physical dimensions, you look like you're putting on some weight. WoC fattening you up for thanksgiving or chrismas next year? Better lay off the tuna fatty, or you'll end up neatly carved on a platter right next to the turkey.

__________________

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

DeltaF is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #2577
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,580
Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11566

Default

OOOOOKaay then.

So, my housemate decided to try cooking some deep-fried avocado tonight. She nailed it. I am getting ready for the SHOT Show next week (she is leaving tomorrow and won't be back until sometime next week, I am leaving on Tuesday morning and will be home on Friday) and have my recording gear and itinerary all over the house. She put a plate down with the deep-fried 'cado and damn if I didn't lose my mind!

photo-8-.jpg  
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #2578
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,964
Liked 7820 Times on 4693 Posts
Likes Given: 9848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Thought it was all part of the circle of life little brother. Penguins eat fish, people eat penguins, polar bears eat people, polar bears get shot and thrown in the ocean, fish eat polar bears.

As to my height, You have struck upon the exact reason for my behavior. I am told that the consumption of omega 3-6-9 oils and certain fatty acids can induce late stage growth in adult humans. Guess what penguin meat and blubber has a high concentration of?

Speaking of physical dimensions, you look like you're putting on some weight. WoC fattening you up for thanksgiving or chrismas next year? Better lay off the tuna fatty, or you'll end up neatly carved on a platter right next to the turkey.
Holy ****!!!!!!
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #2579
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,964
Liked 7820 Times on 4693 Posts
Likes Given: 9848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
OOOOOKaay then.

So, my housemate decided to try cooking some deep-fried avocado tonight. She nailed it. I am getting ready for the SHOT Show next week (she is leaving tomorrow and won't be back until sometime next week, I am leaving on Tuesday morning and will be home on Friday) and have my recording gear and itinerary all over the house. She put a plate down with the deep-fried 'cado and damn if I didn't lose my mind!
Hmmmm...........I have a deep fryer. I might give that a try.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #2580
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GunsGodAndCountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 548
Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Tonight I made beef stroganoff (I'll post the recipe in the recipes thread) over brown rice with homemade (very fresh-still warm from the oven!) dinner rolls.

For dessert, we roasted marshmallows in the fireplace and made s'mores. My toddler sat with us and munched on some graham crackers and sneaked an untoasted marshmallow every now and then. It was great.

__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

GunsGodAndCountry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Whats for Dinner? Comeswithbacon Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 49 08-08-2011 11:09 PM
What's for Dinner? Shihan The Club House 20 05-16-2011 10:04 PM
Whats for dinner?? dnthmn2004 The Club House 15 04-06-2011 02:29 PM
What's for Dinner cpttango30 The Club House 6 03-24-2009 01:20 AM
its whats for dinner sgtdeath66 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 2 12-16-2008 05:07 AM