Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Digital Camera Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Look at the Canon A1000

10 Mega pixel
AA batteries
SD card (get at least a 4 gig for it)

Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #12

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know about indestructable but I've had a Canon PowerShot SD900 for several years. It's the 10 megapixel model and takes remarkably clear photos, especially if you set the ISO to high. Works well in low light conditions. It uses an SD card (I bought a 2 GB Ultima card because I didn't think the 32 MB card it came with woulld be enough for vacation fotos and mpgs...I was right on that). It also comes with the Canon Battery pack, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, and the charger for it. I also bought a spare battery which has come in handy. I prefer the rechargeable battery over AA or AAA batteries. When I bought it, it was going for $250. I don't know what it costs now.

It's a far cry from the Sony FD83 Digital Mavica I had for several years before that. Full-sized camera body and used floppy disks as "film." That has been stuck in a bag in my closet because my new computer doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Along the virtually indestructible line......at Home Depot this weekend and saw a Ryobi Tek4 camera. It's 8 Megapixel, completely rubber armored, impact/dust resistant, water proof and rechargeable. Goes for $200. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ryobi TEK4 :: Durashotâ„¢ 8MP Digital Camera

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Since I know very little about them same as you, I have an informal routine to buying a ditigal camera. Just go to wal-mart & buy the best (most expensive) 1 they have. That's the method I used & it worked out great, only running about 250$.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

This week's special:

Recertified: Polaroid i1035 Black 10.0 MP 3.0" LCD 3X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

$45.99

Newegg.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've been taking photos since I was a kid (back when you had to wrestle with film, literally lol), and was lucky to buy a Pentax Optio 555 from a friend who was upgrading. It's only 5 megapixels, but perfectly adequate for ordinary photo taking. I find it hard to believe that anyone really NEEDS the 12+meg cameras that are coming out now. You'll only have to resize it anyway or lose great chunks of your HDD space.

I would advise trying to get a camera with a rechargeable battery if you can...seriously. Mine lasts for a good while in between re-chargings (unless I'm using its video-mode) and it was a total liberation from the hell that was constantly recharging batteries.

Do any shops in the US do good deals on reconditioned second-hand models? If so, you could pick up something decent and not have to have massive megapixellage of the new cameras?

Just my .2c

Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. So 5 megapixels is adequate?

Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Absolutely Benning, at least imo anyway. I can't see how you'd really need more than that if you're talking just snapshot type thing...but judge for yourself...

here's an un-resized pic I took with mine for reference; set at 1024x768 size, 390KB: