Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A different era.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey post #100.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
A trader about the time of the French and Indian war, or a soldier in WWII. 101st Airborne. Hooah!
Nice death wish, McNuts. Why not a foot soldier in Napoleon's Invasion of Russia?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Ancient Rome (in Rome proper, not some outlying province) about 100AD. Wealthy-but-low-profile merchant/businessman. Nice house, indoor hot and cold running water, great climate, good food...they even had halfway decent doctors who, centuries before Leeuwenhoek, understood contamination and the necessity of sterilizing equipment.

Any Trekkies here? Remember the Atavachron?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8313 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Well, as strange as it gets sometimes, I like right now. Suggested reading if you can find a copy- "The good old days- they were TERRIBLE". Some things we don't even think of today- like typhoid, typhus, polio, smallpox, yellow fever- or dieing from an abscessed tooth- from a lack of dental care, and no penicillin. Ever see the rations that a Civil War soldier (either side) had- or the medical care (Here, bite on this for a minute whilst I saws yer leg off) Anyone in love with horses- have you shoveled a stable? (I have) The past might be a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Now, the year 2100.......

Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The past might be a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Now, the year 2100.......
Oh yeaa, the year 2100. Living in the Earth Alliance of Obama. Absolute Camelot and Eden in one! No worries, no evil, no job needed, harlots in every home...sounds good to me. Of course, this is post Muslim Armageddon after the world has been converted to Islam and the fire has killed all remaining infidels.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #16

Seeing as how my Father was in WWII, I think I'd have liked to live in the same era. I saw the "More Modern Military" with my time in the service and it seemed that my Dad was right about his humble opinion. We were both NCO's but he had me beat by 3 more stripes. Also I prefer the weaponry of the WWII era vs. the "Modern Miracles" we have now. So I don't see it as a "death wish" like someone said above, I consider it a blessing to have an M-1 Garand, or a B.A.R. and a .45 over an M-16 / M-4, or 9mm Beretta "Euro Pellet", as I have seen this pistol worded as in such in a forum I used to go to some years ago.

"Voodoo Child {slight return}". Yes, it is the name of a song by Jimi Hendrix.

Last edited by GarandGuy; 02-06-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Nice death wish, McNuts. Why not a foot soldier in Napoleon's Invasion of Russia?
Are you kidding? Greatest military unit in the world now and then. Also then they had better weapons and sharp uniforms. They don't make cadence for pogues.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8313 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Quote:
Oh yeaa, the year 2100. Living in the Earth Alliance of Obama
Oh- so ya been there, huh? When did you get back?

My point was- the change between 1909 and 2000 will not begin to compare to the change between now and 2100.

And frankly, this old fart would still like to be around in 2100, since that would put me in the Guiness Book of Records (see Oldest Living Human)

And it would give me a chance to take some of my great great great great grandkids out shooting.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Ancient Rome (in Rome proper, not some outlying province) about 100AD. Wealthy-but-low-profile merchant/businessman. Nice house, indoor hot and cold running water, great climate, good food...they even had halfway decent doctors who, centuries before Leeuwenhoek, understood contamination and the necessity of sterilizing equipment.

Any Trekkies here? Remember the Atavachron?
AH Yes the me travel computer to escape the Supernova. From the episode All our Yesterdays.

OK now that I have elivated myself to the 39th level of geek superstardom. I must tell you of a few cool things I have found. They have the coolest keyboard and it is only $1589.99. Each key has a programable screen on the top of the key. You can also get interactive Tribbles and if you have a quest you better stock up on Mana Energy Potion and Health Energy Potion.

ThinkGeek :: Stuff for Smart Masses

Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

None for me thanks. I prefer now for sure. I guess that you would have to have your memory blasted of all things technological if you had the option or it would really be miserable. There are a lot of things we dont have to worry about that existed in the past. Would I like to go back for a visit? Yup. Would I like to see some things brought forward that we had that are gone? (values for one) Yup. Would I like to go back and see the dentist in the 70's again? F- NO!
A lot of the tech we could do without, I think we throw away a lot of our free time that could be spent doing some things that we used to do as a matter of course. But some of it Ill take over the past.