Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A different era.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default A different era.

We have all thought of it at one time or another. Weather it was during a good movie, thinking of it while working, or when the news pukes more sh1t about how stupid our government is.

So, which era in the past would you have rather lived in? Also, what status in the community would you have liked to be?

Myself, I would love to live in Medieval times as a blacksmith. Something about that period in time being brutal and savage appeals to me. I would choose to be a blacksmith because it was a respected and necessary trade. I love creating functional "art" with my hands and I am starting to dabble in the art of blacksmithing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Samurai @ Feudal Japan

I would love to live in feudal Japan as Samurai. The appeal to me is their correctness and simple but strict rules. Maybe they don't had the technologies that other cultures have at the same period of timeline, but I could easily live like they lived, and a Samurai it's a noble profession based on loyalty, principles and values.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's a tough question actually. Do I get to know what I know now ( tactics, weapons, sports, financials ?)

Or do I have to be born and raised in that time?

Samurai is a good choice, I might have gone there, except that I have studied them quite a bit and their life wasn't an easy one, nor was it always a long one.

Times of Sir Richard and the Knights Templar might have been quite interesting. Except for that whole King Phillip of France + Church debacle. I could probably do without that me thinks. Hand made dnthmn original on my hip or not. LOL

The Norsemen had it pretty good for a few generations. Travel, exotic locales, epic battles, raping, pilaging, plundering.... then again, they lost a lot of men at sea, and quite frankly I hate being cold & wet at the same time.

Working for the Pinkertons in the old west might have been a good job for me. Pay was good, got to shoot bad guys on a relatively consistant basis, got to travel ( though by stage coach or train ), newer, better weapons than the cowboys and indians had. There was that whole "marked man" thing though....

I think I would have rather been born a Highlander, back in the day of the advent of sword and steel. Then I would have had time to learn everything and advance my station in life without fear of "old age" and retirement woes. I could constantly be improving skill sets, and having running sword battles through the streets of interesting places, plus if I was low on cash, I could always rob a few banks and if I got shot in the process, it would heal up in a few days time.

I am officially going with Born a Highlander for the win!

JD

Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #4

I would live in the old west and by god I would give billy the kid a run for his money. Hell yeah I would be an outlaw, robbing trains. Thats the way to make a living back then. Or maybe I would own a saloon with all them WHORES

Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

WOW a Knight an outlaw a Samuri, and a Blacksmith.

Me I would choose colonial era america. I would chose to be a wealthy virginia land owner. With the ear of Washington, Mason, and Jefferson. Why that way I could enhance the building of the Greatest nation the world has ever known.

That is if I could have the knowladge I have today with me back then. One thing I would help them work on is the 2nd Amendment making them make it a little more precise that it is now. Think a 2nd Amendment that no liberal could f with. HA HA HA How life would be so much more nice.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

late 50's early 60's era America. I enjoy my electricity and hot showers too much. I'd buy Impalas, and Mustangs, Olds 442 for those dirt cheap prices. I'd also buy up coastal property in California.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Just live here guys, we need you all to help battle the vermin infesting our halls of government....

9x18=Makarov

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #8

There are some interesting ideas here already. I like the idea of living in Colonial times to have the opportunity to shape the destiny of our country, especially if we can take some knowledge of the present back with us.

For me, I've developed a deep interest in the early 1800's in the U.S. I would like to live the life of a mountain man in the American West. If had the chance to go along on the Lewis & Clark expedition I would have been one of those who headed back into the mountains instead of returning to St Louis.

I am drawn to that time and the fur trappers who populate that history based on two factors. First, they are about as close to being totally self sufficient as I can imagine. Their survival depended completely and absolutely on their own skills and wits. I have a fascination with facing that test. Rest assured I have no illusions, if I were transported back to that time with my current skills I might very well be dead within a month, but if I had the chance to grow up in that time I think it would be different.

The second factor is the freedom from society's restrictions. Society has closed in around all of us to one extent or another in the last 200 years. Living in modern society has benefits, primarily in the degree of comfort we enjoy, but it also imposes many restrictions and limitations. I'm not sure it has been a good trade off. I'd like to live in a time when you could still chose whether to live inside or outside the boundaries imposed by society.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I figure anytime after the invention of toilet paper is a pretty good era to be in. That wipey with the handy thing ain't my bag....

9x18=Makarov

Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #10

A trader about the time of the French and Indian war, or a soldier in WWII. 101st Airborne. Hooah!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Newest Threads