Difference between green berets,rangers,delta force,marine recon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Difference between green berets,rangers,delta force,marine recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Difference between green berets,rangers,delta force,marine recon

Im curious about the differences between these different groups. I know marine recon is probably the most different but what do all these guys do that's so different? Arent they all special forces ? Which one sees the most action?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Im curious about the differences between these different groups. I know marine recon is probably the most different but what do all these guys do that's so different? Arent they all special forces ? Which one sees the most action?
Well there are 5 branches of the military. Army,Navy,Air force, Coastguard, and the Marines. All 5 branches have there own special forces the GB, rangers, and delta as you listed are units of the Army. Some examples of the others are Navy- combat divers, seals, ext. Air Force- halo jumpers ext. coastguard- rescue swimmers. Marines- recon snipers ext.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From what I understand, "Green Beret" is a catch-all for Army SpecOps. There is no specific "Green Berets" unit.
Rangers are first-entry units, trained for recon and rapid insertion ahead of the main body.
Deltas are the "secret squirrels" who operate in small units for very specific purposes, but are overall trained in counter-terrorism roles.
Marine Recon are a lot like Rangers in role, being the leading element before a main Marine force.

That's from what I know and have read, which may be completely wrong, lol.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Well there are 5 branches of the military. Army,Navy,Air force, Coastguard, and the Marines. All 5 branches have there own special forces the GB, rangers, and delta as you listed are units of the Army. Some examples of the others are Navy- combat divers, seals, ext. Air Force- halo jumpers ext. coastguard- rescue swimmers. Marines- recon snipers ext.
You forgot National Guard.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
You forgot National Guard.
And Boy Scouts

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I know marine recon is probably the most different...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 12-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
From what I understand, "Green Beret" is a catch-all for Army SpecOps. There is no specific "Green Berets" unit.
Rangers are first-entry units, trained for recon and rapid insertion ahead of the main body.
Deltas are the "secret squirrels" who operate in small units for very specific purposes, but are overall trained in counter-terrorism roles.
Marine Recon are a lot like Rangers in role, being the leading element before a main Marine force.

That's from what I know and have read, which may be completely wrong, lol.
Beg to differ:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/11/ap-special-forces-equals-green-berets-111711/

This is my understanding of Special Operations forces.

You need a specific target destroyed call the Navy SEALs
You need a Seal team extracted from a super hot combat zone you send in the Navy SWCC
You want a target watched call USMC Force Recon.
You need a large target seized and held call the Army Rangers
You need indigenous forces trained call the Army Special Forces (Green Berets)
You need a downed pilot recovered you call USAF Pararescue
You need an open or rough water rescue performed call the USCG Rescue Swimmers

Now I know all the units I mentioned can do each others jobs but the ones I listed seem to be their specialties. Don't know much about Delta or MARSOC.

Last edited by JSStryker; 12-29-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Duly noted. Thanks for the education.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Duly noted. Thanks for the education.
Glad to be of service

Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Who gets the most action? Probably Suzi down at the Victoria's Cabaret in Fayetteville. (sorry, inside joke)

All are Special WARFARE- but have different roles.

Rangers- see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Rangers

Special Forces- nicknamed Green Berets due to their distinctive headgear- see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_(United_States_Army)

What some folks call Delta Force is the 1st US Special Forces, Operational Detachment Delta. Different missions. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Force

Now, I used Wikipedia links for a reason- much of what goes on with units of this type is classified- so if I use public source info for that, I am not discussing anything I should not. And seriously, classified means much of what the units do, where they do it, how they do it.

Marine Force Recon, of course, is tasked with just that- recon. Finding where the bad guys are hiding so your big brother can come beat the snot out of him. Also allied with Marine Special Operations. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Force_Reconnaissance

Seals- US Navy- Stands for Sea, Air, Land. "The only easy day was yesterday". See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_SEALs

Our friends in the Air Force also have some Special Warfare folks- many of whom are certifiably insane, drive airplanes, and will take you along for the ride. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAFSOC

The National Guard is associated with either the US Army, or the US Air Force. There are Special Warfare units in the Guard and Reserve.

The one common factor for all of these- operations are usually on a fairly small scale, intended to accomplish a precise mission, and usually where there are more bad guys than good guys.

There will be a TON of people that will claim they were specialforcesrangersealdeltaforcereconsniperscoutc ommando. Most of the folks that are (or were) do not discuss it much outside of their own professional community.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This