Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Diesel Tuners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Diesel Tuners

Does anyone know anything about tuners for diesels? I was looking for something to improve MPG and horsepower in my truck. I know that you can't have both at the same time but am looking for one that has a couple different settings and works well with the Duramax LMM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How much ya wanna spend Nitrox?

Xtreme Diesel Performance - XDP Diesel Power Performance Parts - Chips - Modules - Programmers

BUY NOW & PRICING

Banks Power | 07-10 Chevy/GMC - 6.6L Duramax LMM>>Big Hoss® Bundle

Diesel Place: Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Duramax LMM, DPF Delete, Programmers, Exhaust, Intakes, more

Parleys Diesel Performance: Diesel Performance Product Categories

Diesel Performance & DPF Delete kits for Cummins, Duramax & Powerstroke Alligatorperformance.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Are they worth it? Is there that big of a benefit to them?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The only experience I have is what I've heard. They seem to have some advantage.

Jump on some of those sites and ask/read what they are sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #5

They usually adjust fuel maps and turbo boost levels. Most OEM manufacturers design their diesel engines for mediocre performance but superior longevity. By increasing performance you put more wear on the transmission/drivetrain. If you work the fuel maps for efficiency you stress the internal components of the engine due to higher cylinder temperatures. So there are trade-offs, but if you don't alter the ECU too radically the extra stress is minimal.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My work truck (company owned, F-550 super duty 6.4 powerstroke) gets 9MPG at best, weighs in at 14K with tools and all (no extra load).

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use an Edge with Attitude on my Cummins... Very noticible power advantage, it does raise the MPG but I tend to put more foot into it!!
you will have to drive a lot to get the $500+ spent back in fuel savings

Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

As a diesel mechanic I will tell you this. You will void the factory warranty by chipping the engine. Also a big point to think of is do you really want to fry the transmission? The trans is not meant to take the added abuse caused by souping up the engine. The new trans is more like a jet engine inside. Close tolerances that don't like the added pressure increase internally from the higher power input from the engine. Just food for thought.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Doc hit his right on the head.. your factory warranty will be gone!! You will add much more stress on the drivetrain.

BUT you can improve fuel mileage and unleash some silly horsepower from the newer diesel engines. I have a few friends with them and see many come into the dealership I work at and they are impressive. Its just not right to see a f-350 4dr long bed smoldering the tires and drifting sideways And no it wasn't us with a customers truck lol

Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Doc hit his right on the head.. your factory warranty will be gone!! You will add much more stress on the drivetrain.

BUT you can improve fuel mileage and unleash some silly horsepower from the newer diesel engines. I have a few friends with them and see many come into the dealership I work at and they are impressive. Its just not right to see a f-350 4dr long bed smoldering the tires and drifting sideways And no it wasn't us with a customers truck lol
Had a friend with a 05 crew cab power stroke 4x4 he bought it brand new and one of the first things he did was put a set of bfg all terrains (315's) on it, the next thing he did was put a programmer on it, dont remember what brand, seen him take that truck and almost have it get away from him when he kicked it from a 15 roll on dry asphalt in front of another friends house and it just smoked those 315's, back end almost went around on him before he let off and straightened it out, the power difference was just amazing