Diesel question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Diesel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Diesel question

Alright guys, sorry about the diesel thread, but I saw some chatter from some other members a while back so I know some of you are knowledgeable , and nobody on the diesel forum is answering, so here goes.

I’ve got a 2000 7.3L F350, and yesterday when I stopped for fuel and put it in park the engine revved up to 2K. My initial reaction was to turn it off and ponder WTF was that? So I restarted it, shifted into drive…….paused…… and shifted back into park. And again it revved to 2K stayed there momentarily and then came down to normal.

OK, I’ve never even heard of this before, so what in the world is going on? Maybe a cam or throttle positioning sensor?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not an expert, but I do have a 2006 6.0 PSD. If I had to guess you may be having a throttle postion sensor problem. Best thing to do is scan the computer (All have OBDII since 1995). It may have a code in there explaining the problem. Since you didn't say that the check engine light is not on, It maybe a potential problem now, but could get worse later.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If the CEL is on, many Autozones will check the codes for free. You can usually find their cause on the interweb fairly quickly. (I drive a Sentra that was made in Mexico. )

On the sentras, you can manually reset the TPS through the OBD2 system; maybe there is a similar setup for you, IDK. If there is something similar, these guys might know: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3-tech-files/ from what i've heard.

Last edited by orangello; 08-31-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

ITS A FORD. that is the problem.

Trade that thing in on a Chevy with the Duramax and the 6 speed Alison tranny. My dad got one and after driving it OMG I want one. It is very quiet them noisy rattling powerstrokes are horrible compared to that chevy. Running 85mph on the freeway with the cruise on it sounds like a car it is so quiet.

I would concur that it is a TPS problem.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

How is your oil?? any lights on? PM me yer vin and I can run an oasis report on the ford tech site and check for common problems. Usually a cam sensor will cause a hot no start.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:56 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

There's so many variables involved, the most common is the TPS, but can be other problem.... Check the diagnostics codes.

That backs to my mind one funny history... a few days back I was fueling my Jeep, then in the pump next to me a F350 parks to pump fuel too, but from the engine's sound I knew that was a diesel engine... that is weird in Venezuela, since we have one of the most cheapest gas in the world is fairly comon that trucks big as F600 and Chevys C60 are gas powered, so this guy start to fill the truck with gasoline, and the engine running! ....I start to laugh(shame on me), and try to tell the @$$hole that stop filling the tank and/or turn it off, but the laugh don't let me, as hard I try to yell the laugh is louder.... so the engine start to over-rev and the guy stand in the front of the truck and start to look under it, trying to figure out what in hell is happening... I yell STOP THE ENGINE @$$HOLE!!! this is a diesel truck and you are putting gas on it!!! but was too late, suddenly the engine just blew under the hood when the guy try to turn it off... in a moment I thought the pistons would shoot out thru the exhaust pipe.
I couldn't stop from laugh until half hour later.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 09-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If I had to guess without seeing it I would say Maybe turbo seals starting to go so its feeding itself with oil or something like that? Usually sensors are very good for setting trouble codes and a light nowadays.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
ITS A FORD. that is the problem.

Trade that thing in on a Chevy with the Duramax and the 6 speed Alison tranny. My dad got one and after driving it OMG I want one. It is very quiet them noisy rattling powerstrokes are horrible compared to that chevy. Running 85mph on the freeway with the cruise on it sounds like a car it is so quiet.

I would concur that it is a TPS problem.

That tranny is the only real thing the GM trucks have going for it. If you want a quiet engine, get a gas burner. Otherwise go for the Cummins. Of course get the manual tranny, because Dodge isn't capable of making an automatic that will hold up more than a couple of years.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would check for simple stuff like the air intake system for vacuum leaks. That can reek havoc on gasoline engines.

Chuck

Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #10

PTO stuck on?

Perhaps a sensor going bad. I'm much more of a Cummins man myself, much simpler (if it's not running, it's out of fuel) A 2000 is pre-emissions so it's not a regen cycle. I'd say get it scanned, if nothing comes up keep driving it until the service lamp illuminates. Fords are notorious about having "phantom" problems in their powerstrokes though so good luck.