Did you know....Shift happens?? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Did you know....Shift happens??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
The whole premise for the collapse theory is that computers have been doubling in power every 18 months for over 20 years now. Some people in the scientific community believe that when we reach peak performance on the chip, we in some deep do do.
But why? I don't understand what will change. So computers don't double in speed, ok so the cell phones of today are as powerful as they get? I don't see how the lack of hardware innovation will result in a collapse.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Look at all the technical advances in the last 30 years. Do you actually think at the momentum that we are presently going now, if it were to grind to a standstill because we were not capable a increasing computing power, that there would not be repercussions?

The more and more the world is dependent on silicon chips, the hole we are digging is getting deeper and deeper. It's all about staying ahead of technology. We can not afford to fall behind because IMHO the walls will come crashing down.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #13

Liked 1174 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

I guess I just don't see it.

Banks will continue to store data as they do currently, computer controlled power plants and other utilities will function as they currently do. Sure in the years to come as the population increases the finite resources will be spread thinner but that will take a long time. Even then it will be a gradual decline in the amount of computing power available per person on the planet, it won't be like the Y2K fears where all of a sudden everything will just shut down.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
As for me, I make hard copies of all important data. Seems really old-fashion, but it worked well for centuries.
They used better paper in the old days; modern paper gets crumbly pretty quickly. Go find a textbook from when you were in elementary school.
Not hatin your plan, just suggesting.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
They used better paper in the old days; modern paper gets crumbly pretty quickly. Go find a textbook from when you were in elementary school.
Not hatin your plan, just suggesting.
I'm sure that paper is going to outlast my old ass. It's the next 10 years that have me worried.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.