Did you know....Shift happens??
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Did you know....Shift happens??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Did you know....Shift happens??

What DOES it mean?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I can't get youtube to open....

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

not realy sure or if anyone really knows for that matter. it is scary and exciting at the same time. It is a well known fact that there are very few things that changed our course in human history. The invention computer is one of them and so is the internet. The ability to spread information on a global scale has opened so many doors to new ideas and problems as well. I really don't think people in general realize that with this global and cross cultural exchange of information, we have inadvertantly evened out the playing fields. Do you know why there are more honor students in India than the US. It's not because they are smarter its because they are hungry for it. It is because they are driven. Our children take things for granted every day. This leads to apathy and laziness. Time will tell what will happen when we are all on the same playing field. Exciting or scary it will happen.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When we finally exceed the limit of the silicon chip, end of story, are whole society will come crashing down around us.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
When we finally exceed the limit of the silicon chip, end of story, are whole society will come crashing down around us.
why would you think that society will crash down if we reached the full potential of the silicone chip. Assuming that there will not be anything to replace the chip, which we know is highly unlikely. Why would society crash??? That is like saying the 1911 has reached it's full potential which I am assuming since the design has really not changed since 1911. And it is still thriving till this day. Do honestly think our whole society will crash? Really??

Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Our society is becoming dependent on the silicon chip doubling in power every couple of years. When the silicon chip finally reaches it's full potential, end of progress, end of game.

I know the scientific community has come as close to achieving absolute zero as it can, and maybe these recent developments of almost achieving absolute zero will aid in expanding computing power in the future, if not, who knows what will happen.

By the way, what does a 1911 have to do with computer technology. That design has already reach ultimate greatness.

Here's some interesting reading.
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/005103.html

Last edited by hunter Joe; 02-22-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

My point exactly. Once the silcone chip reaches it's full potential it will not be discarded, hence have society crash. It will simple make a place in society. We will still use it and componsate in other ways for what ever shortages that we feel compelled to, untill we can find something bigger or better.

I was using the 1911 as an example of technology. The 1911 since it's originally design, in my opinion has reached its full potential. It is a fine example of early century technology, and it was technologically advance in 1911, that still is thriving today. Just because something reaches it's full potential does not mean it is no good or discarded, which I was using as an example of the silicone chip.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The big Catch-22 is if and when we have the technology to replace the silicon chip. The scariest aspect for me is our dependence on the silicon chip for everyday life. This includes telecommunications, medical, banking, records keeping, education, and the list goes on and on.

I have read articles by different scientist that predict the collapse of society as we know it and some have gone as far as predicting Armageddon when the silicon chip reaches it's full potential. Who knows? Sounds like we only have a few more years and we will all know then.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

Liked 1456 Times on 864 Posts
Likes Given: 453

I'm not sure I understand why society would all of a sudden collapse when the silicon chip limits are reached.

Just because the hardware does not improve by leaps and bounds does not mean the software can not be made to run more efficiently. Quantum computing is an up and coming technology that might be a replacement, it might not, something might come out of left field that no one has thought of and replace the silicon chip.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The whole premise for the collapse theory is that computers have been doubling in power every 18 months for over 20 years now. Some people in the scientific community believe that when we reach peak performance on the chip, we in some deep do do.

As for me, I make hard copies of all important data. Seems really old-fashion, but it worked well for centuries.

Newest Threads