Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Did I take the correct action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think you should give the cops a heads-up. Who knows what the cops might find if they pull over that car.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I think you should give the cops a heads-up. Who knows what the cops might find if they pull over that car.
Thats a good Idea, I will inform my local sherrif station of this mornings events.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhirl413 View Post
Those were my thoughts as I drove to work. Would I have been better off to leave all my side porch light off, turn on the front porch flood lights, or should i have maybe killed all the lights and grabbed my ultra bright led maglight to shine at the car. or would shining a light at the car be considered criminal?
Best defense is a good offense. I would have waited on them to make the first move or initiate conflict, while I was out of site and armed. At that time I would have gathered as much information I could on the vehicle and a phone nearby. No shinning of lights on vehicles, no approaching. If they wanted something, they would have to exit the vehicle to come get it and their intentions may have been very well exposed if they were armed. This would be a come to me, I don't go to them situation. If it was a drive by shooting, you would have been covered and not exposed. I do not know about your state, but in Oklahoma we have Castle Doctrine and it covers your yard, car, and property, as well as your home. My .02 cents worth.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The major thing I would criticize is not having the wife call the police. Always better to have them on the way if you end up using deadly force. makes you look less like a cowboy looking for a fight and more like a citizen forced into a bad situation. "I tried to let LE handle it but it all went bad before they got there".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Makes me want a light strong enough to pierce any level of tint - around 200 lumens or so

Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I want to thank all you guys for your comments and critiques. If and when this type of thing happens again, i'll be much more prepared and confident in my actions and I shouldn't have any reason to hesitate and worry if I am doing the right thing. Now I've just got to go home and inform my wifey of the updated plan of defense, b/c she's my main concern.

By the way......You guys are awesome

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #17

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Always, Always call 911 if you brandish or use your weapon. You want to be the one stating the facts first and not trying to explain yourself and your actions if the other party calls first for whatever reason. If they call and give their version it is more believable because they were first.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It seems that you handled it well. There are folks here that have experience in this stuff (not me) and they think you did pretty good too. Constructive criticism and suggestions have been made.

I have learned from your experience. Thanks for posting this.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I followed up with my sherrifs department and they confirmed that I should have called them immediately so they could have sent a deputy to check things out. I will not overlook this in the future. But they said they would take note of it and pass the information along to their deputies so they are aware of the situation. thanks again for the recommendations

Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

As someone who occasionally bruises a law or two while in my car, i want you to know that if i was doing something south of kosher & saw somebody whip out a celly like they were snapping a pic of my car or tag, i would be making tracks ASAP. Of course, the bruises i refer to are very minor and would never include robbery or injury to others, etc.