Did I take the correct action?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Did I take the correct action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Did I take the correct action?

This morning at 5:30 a.m.(extremely dark out) I was loading my car with what I needed for work, and getting ready to put my trash at the end of the road, my car is already running(due to it being about 50 and brisk) and the parking lights are on. I live in the county and my front porch sits about 20 yards from the road. There have been numerous break-ins in my area, including my next door neighbor, about 8 months ago. As I am walking back to my porch to grab our weeks worth of trash, a car comes to a sudden stop directly in front of my driveway. I immediately open my door and yell to my wife, "BRING ME MY GUN, NOW." As I stand there under my side porch light waiting for my wife to bring me my gun(springfield xdm9) the car pulls forward 10 feet, then backs up, then pulls forward again, and then pulls into the drive across the street, then backs out of the driveway to where they initially stopped in front of my drive. By then my wife has handed me my pistol and I have it cocked and at my side, out of site of the driver. I then tell my wife to turn on the flood lights on the front porch, the car pulls forward about five feet and sits there. I stand there for what seems like about 30 secs to a min(gun out of his line of site and just stare at the car, which I cannot see into b/c its dark and the windows are tinted). they pull forward one more time, and then back up again. At this point I'm fed up and I assume the down and ready position, both hands on my pistol aimed down at about 40 degrees and say "CAN I HELP YOU"(as loud as i can without shouting) obviously ready for them to make the wrong move. They then proceed to pull off quickly but stop again about 50 yards down the road. I walk off the side porch to the front yard and stand there, then they speed off.

What do you guys think of my actions, did I miss something, should I have done something different? I respect all of you guys and your opinion(-the mall ninjas) and I sincerely would like your thoughts.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Last edited by jwhirl413; 10-01-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I don't think so.

You saw a threat or what you deemed at the time to be a threat and you took action to neutralize that threat.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Based on your story we or you have no idea who was behind the wheel or what they were up to. Maybe they were just lost and frustrated? No telling.

Can't really say because you were in a greater position to assess a threat or not. You did what you thought was right and no one was hurt, that's what matters.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't think you did anything wrong. The only thing I could possibly think of is that you had your weapon in view, could be concidered brandishing by the right idiot. Personally, I think you handled yourself well and took care of you, your wife and your neighbors.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Other than getting the plate number, description of the car, and reporting the incident to the cops, it seems you did the right thing. I'd keep a good eye out for a while - if it was gang related there may be a follow-up visit.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

You did fine, one critique observation, next time be behind or close to some cover, if all possible. Limiting your exposure. You had all the lights on and you were very visible, JMO. Otherwise, you handled the situation very well sir.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually can tell you everything about the car, silver dodge avenger/seabring, about 2000 model. I cant believe I didn't think to get the license plate, although at the time, I was very wary of leaving the safety of my porch to obtain it, until they were too far away to read it.

This exact same type of incident happened a couple years ago, although I lived alone and at the time, did not have any firearms at my house(they were still at my parents, which I quickly retrieved later that week). Only difference was that is was a early 90's blue ford ranger.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
You did fine, one critique observation, next time be behind or close to some cover, if all possible. Limiting your exposure. You had all the lights on and you were very visible, JMO. Otherwise, you handled the situation very well sir.

Jack
Those were my thoughts as I drove to work. Would I have been better off to leave all my side porch light off, turn on the front porch flood lights, or should i have maybe killed all the lights and grabbed my ultra bright led maglight to shine at the car. or would shining a light at the car be considered criminal?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I don't let anyone see I have a gun. My concern is a break-in later when I'm not home. I would have done the same except for keeping the pistol out of sight.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Can't really say because you were in a greater position to assess a threat or not. You did what you thought was right and no one was hurt, that's what matters.
What Goju said.

I can't think of why someone would be performing the described maneuvers (back and forth) myself. I would keep an eye out for that car. Have you considered an inexpensive surveillance system? They are getting cheaper; i saw a wireless (not color) mini cam online the other day for maybe $75. Even a webcam visible through the curtains could be the thing that makes some goofball smile sheepishly and wave rather than some other less friendly action (molesting your cattle perhaps).