Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Diamond dog food recall, possible salmonella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1749 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

Default Diamond dog food recall, possible salmonella

Found this on another forum. Do not know if anyone on the forum uses this brand.

Here is the link to their site:

http://www.diamondpet.com/information/

Diamond Pet Foods Voluntarily Recalls Limited Number of
Dry Dog Food Bags Due to a Potential Health Risk
Recall is limited to one formula of Diamond Naturals distributed to 12 states; no illnesses reported

Consumer Contact: 800-442-0402
Media Contact: 816-255-1974

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 06, 2012

Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice. This is being done as a precautionary measure, as the product has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No illnesses have been reported and no other Diamond manufactured products are affected.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, salmonella can result in more serious ailments including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

The product, Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice, was distributed to customers located in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia, who may have further distributed the product to other states, through pet food channels.

Product Name Bag Size Production Code & “Best Before” Code

Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 6lb DLR0101D3XALW Best Before 04 Jan 2013

Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 20lb DLR0101C31XAG Best Before 03 Jan 2013

Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101C31XMF Best Before 03 Jan 2013

Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101C31XAG Best Before 03 Jan 2013

Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101D32XMS Best Before 04 Jan 2013

Consumers who have purchased the Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice with the specific production and “Best Before” codes should discontinue feeding the product and discard it.

At Diamond Pet Foods, the safety of our products is our top priority. We apologize for any inconvenience this recall may have caused. For further information or to obtain a product refund please call us at 800-442-0402 or visit www.diamondpet.com.

For more information, please contact us directly at:

http://diamondpet.com/contact_us/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thx for the post. Just picked up 50 lbs, of Diamond at the Ranch Supply yesterday. I only feed Diamond "Adult Dog" to my setter. Not on the state list. Anyway Thx Damn thoughtful on your part.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Diamond is all that i fed my K9 partner, but i used the "maintenance". That sucks, Diamond is damn good dog food.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Thx for the post. Just picked up 50 lbs, of Diamond at the Ranch Supply yesterday. I only feed Diamond "Adult Dog" to my setter. Not on the state list. Anyway Thx Damn thoughtful on your part.
Still, wash your hands good, anyway, after handling the dog food. Why take a chance?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

Can dogs get salmonella???

Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Now that is a damn good question? I would think not. Dogs will eat anything that does not eat them first. The thing that has always amazed me is Chocolate. That stuff will put a dog down. Some times fast some times slow. Large amounts of Raw chicken eaten by a dog at one time is real bad also.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
No, they cannot. The only harm would be to the owner who may handle that dog food and not wash hands thoroughly afterwards.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
Now that is a damn good question? I would think not. Dogs will eat anything that does not eat them first. The thing that has always amazed me is Chocolate. That stuff will put a dog down. Some times fast some times slow. Large amounts of Raw chicken eaten by a dog at one time is real bad also.
I knew about the chocolate, didnt know about the chicken though..i knew that chicken bones were bad for dogs because they splinter

Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

I knew about the chocolate, didnt know about the chicken though..i knew that chicken bones were bad for dogs because they splinter
It's not milk chocolate that will hurt the dog but the bakers chocolate. My dogs eat M&Ms and chocolate cakes all the time. Raw Chicken is a big part of the B.A.R.F diet for dogs.
Don't feed them Onions.
Diamond has had issues in the past with recalls.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Apparently they can. It is implied in the language of the recall, but I wasn't sure either, so I searched for info. It turns out that canines can get salmonella infections/poisoning.

The recall doesn't apply to the Diamond product that I buy, but I was glad that it was posted here. Thanks again to OP!