Diabetics - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Diabetics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

That metformin is pretty good stuff.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
Not sure what type. Onset in my late 50s and I take Metformin orally, no insulin. Have to check my blood sugar and watch my sugar and carbohydrate intake, but get to cheat from time to time. It's been good in a way, I'm finally losing weight.
OMM. You are probably type 2, which is generally adult onset, non-insulin dependant. Don't quote me on it, there are more than 2 types now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSStryker View Post
My A1c is currently 6.5 anything under a 7 is considered to have your diabetes under control. Mine at one time was 11 but thanks to a caring doctor at the VA we've gotten it down to where it is now.
Wow! An A1C of 11. I didn't know the scale went that high. Glad to see it lower than 7 now. Keep listening to the doctor, and thank you for your service.

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 22 years. Novolin twice a day, check my blood 4 times a day. My last A1c was 4.7, and my average blood sugar was 48. Inspite of this, I have had some complications along the way. I am missing half of my left foot, and have lost most of the vision in my right eye due to macular degeneration. Both of these happened when I wound up getting an infected blood blister in my foot, and I didn't get to the hospital for about a month. Guess you could say I learned my lesson. I still do most of the same things I did before I had these complications, but I am much more strict with my diet and activities. Take care of yourselves, I wouldn't wish what has happened to me on anyone.

As far as family history goes: Mother, father, both grandmothers, 1 grandfather, 3 great grandparents, and more aunts, uncles, and cousins than I can count. Yep, I was screwed since before I was born.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
Not sure what type. Onset in my late 50s and I take Metformin orally, no insulin. Have to check my blood sugar and watch my sugar and carbohydrate intake, but get to cheat from time to time. It's been good in a way, I'm finally losing weight.
You have type 2. Metformin made me sick. I am now taking Glimeperide.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #14

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Type 2, 2 500mg metformin at dinner. Sugar is under control but I need to do better. Was walking 2 miles a day until it turned cold.

NEVER FORGET

firedawg60 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #15

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Wow! An A1C of 11. I didn't know the scale went that high. Glad to see it lower than 7 now. Keep listening to the doctor, and thank you for your service.

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 22 years. Novolin twice a day, check my blood 4 times a day. My last A1c was 4.7, and my average blood sugar was 48. Inspite of this, I have had some complications along the way. I am missing half of my left foot, and have lost most of the vision in my right eye due to macular degeneration. Both of these happened when I wound up getting an infected blood blister in my foot, and I didn't get to the hospital for about a month. Guess you could say I learned my lesson. I still do most of the same things I did before I had these complications, but I am much more strict with my diet and activities. Take care of yourselves, I wouldn't wish what has happened to me on anyone.
Sorry to hear you have had so many problems, good to hear you have it under control now. If my blood sugar drops under 55 I start having problems, I've been down to 38 before and man that was frightening! The A1C chart I saw measured to 13.5

Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #16
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSStryker View Post
Sorry to hear you have had so many problems, good to hear you have it under control now. If my blood sugar drops under 55 I start having problems, I've been down to 38 before and man that was frightening! The A1C chart I saw measured to 13.5
My mother had type 1 since age 9 (1962), so I grew up around it. She was blind in her left eye, had her first heart attack at 39, and passed away from it at 49 from a second HA after a dialysis treatment. I'd say I'm pretty lucky so far, to not be in worse condition.

Dad was an intersting case. We found out he had diabetes about 6 months after he retired from the Corps. He was diagnosed about a month before I was. Started on 2 shots a day, and he is now on the pump.

On the low end, I start feeling it at 75, and I'm generally screwed once I drop below 50. I've woken up at the hospital 3 times in the past, and now I carry a tube of writing frosting on me at all times. Coming to in an ER scares the ever lving $4!t out of me. Needless to say, I try to stay out of there. My doctor is trying to figure out why my average is so low. According to my bloodwork, I am hypoglycemic, even when I had gangrene, my A1C was 9.2, and my ABS was only 79. Go figure. I would like to get on the pump myself, but my doctor told me my control numbers are too good, so my insurance won't cover it. Gotta love Medicare\Obamacare! Didn't know about the top of the scale 'cause I never had a reason to ask before. Mom was a lab tech when she was in her 20s, if I had thought to ask her, she would have told me. Just never seemed important at the time. Thank you for letting me know.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi guys,
Yeah it's a tough roll being insulin dependant and not having too much success.
I recently added metformin 2x a day to my insulin. Don't think it does much good.
My mom went piece by piece in her end years before finally having a major heartattack that took her in her 80's. Afraid both my parents left me little but their ailments. I take a 70/30 mix in am and pm and use a N insulin at lunch. I take quite a bit except at lunch and if I'm not careful I'll fall into the Medicare donut hole. I finished this year about $100 shy of the hole. Used to ride stationary bike 7 miles a day but it was killing me and not doing any good after 1 1/2 years of every day riding so I only do it once in awhile now. I can't walk too far so excercise is limited, I just finished shovelling 9" of snow with my snowblower and am beat. My sugars are usually over 200 up to 300. Have gone as low as 70 but if I'm there I have to intake something quick to bring it up over 100 as I am losing motor functions and am ready to pass out. Orange juice or p&B work fast. Have neurapathy in both feet and am subject to clots so I have to be careful. Many other things also wrong but hey I still can and like to shoot. I put my exwife and former Doctors pictures on my targets, or and yes my sister that got my parents entire estate.
Keeps me happy while shooting....just my humour coming out. No I wouldn't hurt a flea, don't even hunt anymore not that I ever got anything. Used to enjoy the walk in the woods. Hey better above dirt than below it. I'm sorry that so many of my fellow shooter have this junk, must be a better way. Happy Holidays to all.

Last edited by bluzjamer; 12-30-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #18

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I am borderline so I am able to control it with diet. Just gotta keep the carbs to a minimum and I'm usually okay.