Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Deputy Fires Gun in Courthouse Restroom (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/deputy-fires-gun-courthouse-restroom-3406/)

sculker 02-22-2008 03:17 PM

Deputy Fires Gun in Courthouse Restroom

:rolleyes:

Deputy Fires Gun in Courthouse Restroom
A Cass County Sheriff's deputy who accidentally fired his handgun in a courthouse restroom has been suspended for eight days without pay. Authorities said Dean Wawers, 57, also will receive a written reprimand in personnel file.

No one was hurt when the gun belonging Wawers discharged during lunch hour on Jan. 10.

Fargo police said an investigation determined that his weapon was discharged accidentally.

Authorities said he had hung the gun by its trigger guard, and the gun caught on the hook and discharged into the ceiling when he went to retrieve it.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2004194378_apoddaccidentaldischarge21.html?syndica tion=rss

fluffo63 02-22-2008 03:23 PM

he must be....

..abit more careful the nest no2..LOL sounds a little harsh for a accident?:D

GlenJohnson 02-22-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Authorities said he had hung the gun by its trigger guard, and the gun caught on the hook and discharged into the ceiling when he went to retrieve it.
He doesn't normally carry it in a holster? Why was it hung by a trigger guard? Shoot, just stick the hanger into the barrel and leave it hang that way. Course, I'm new to this stuff, so I don't know nothin. :D

bkt 02-22-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculker (Post 17110)
Fargo police said an investigation determined that his weapon was discharged accidentally.

Make that "...his weapon was discharged due to negligence."

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculker (Post 17110)

Maybe someone should recommend a refresher course in basic firearm safety for this clown.

Quigs 02-22-2008 09:29 PM

Hell you do that in the Army and you lose rank and half your pay for 45 days, plus extra duty for 45 days...Gotta love Article 15s...I say they should make him teach firearms safety to the entire department.

matt g 02-23-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigs (Post 17140)
Hell you do that in the Army and you lose rank and half your pay for 45 days, plus extra duty for 45 days...Gotta love Article 15s...I say they should make him teach firearms safety to the entire department.

You've been there, huh?

Quigs 02-23-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

You've been there, huh?
Nope, Have some friends that have been. I learned not to have one when some girl at the clearing barrel had one after a range.

matt g 02-23-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigs (Post 17209)
Nope, Have some friends that have been. I learned not to have one when some girl at the clearing barrel had one after a range.

You're with a COSCOM unit aren't you?

SimonTuffGuy 02-24-2008 02:49 AM

Why was it not in a holster? A sheriff would normally keep it OWB, right?

Awkward...

Zappa 02-26-2008 02:29 AM

This really isn't all that unusual. I've heard these kinds of stories before, there's been more than one "porcelain throne" that met it's fate by a lead pill........
I personally know of two "accidental discharges" by PO's. One was an officer working the overnight shift inside the station and got bored and started palying "Quick Draw McGraw" with his service auto and he SHOT the PHONE on the desk! Answering the 911 calls got a bit tricky after that........
The other case was far more tragic. A former Police Chief I know, in a small NH town, shot himself in the thigh with a 10mm while holstering a cocked and Un-locked Colt Delta Elite. He said he was tempted to sue the gunsmith that did the trigger job on it. His lawyer advised him that to persue such a suit would only make him look like an even bigger idiot than he already was. He decided to resign instead and take his pension with him.
BTW, that 10mm is a NASTY round, it made a real mess of his leg. It took him over a year to recover to the point where he could walk again without crutches.......