Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dell steps up for Military families (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dell-steps-up-military-families-49099/)

Jpyle 10-01-2011 01:38 PM

Dell steps up for Military families

http://img.ed4.net/dell/consumer/201...epphero_01.jpg

Military Appreciation Homepage | Dell

IGETEVEN 10-01-2011 02:57 PM

HOOAH! :cool:

trip286 10-01-2011 03:00 PM

That's fine and dandy, but I have 2 Dell laptops, and a Dell printer. I hate all 3. Only one that works now is the Dell studio I'm using right now. Oh and all 3 are less than 1 year old, and Dell wont cover them under warranty. So... Kudos to them, I still wont be giving them anymore of my money though.

LONGHAIR 10-01-2011 04:42 PM

I hear they don't fix stuff like hp or the other computer companys....you have to send it-off to get fixed...:confused::(

trip286 10-01-2011 06:21 PM

they wouldn't even let me ship it to them. The screen died on my laptop, and they wanted to send a local tech to me and collect 390 bucks to replace the screen. At that point it was only about 7 months old. Then the printer gave up, I have no idea what happened to it, but they wanted to send another tech to look at it and have me pay for repairs up front, so I just gave up on Dell.

But if they want to send some freebies to troops so they can stay in contact with their families that's cool. I've already put my cousin's name in the hat

IGETEVEN 10-01-2011 07:10 PM

Remember when Delta Airlines overcharged returning soldiers from Afghanistan on their checked bag fees a while back?

You see what happened when it went public? They immediately changed their policy to the number of bags traveling soldiers can check and an public apology.

No doubt the same thing here will happen if the Dells start to have problems, placing both the families and especially the soldiers, in communications distress.

Bad product publicity and PR = quick product repair resolutions when it comes to our soldiers and veterans.

trip286 10-01-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 590736)
Remember when Delta Airlines overcharged returning soldiers from Afghanistan on their checked bag fees a while back?

You see what happened when it went public? They immediately changed their policy to the number of bags traveling soldiers can check and an public apology.

No doubt the same thing here will happen if the Dells start to have problems, placing both the families and especially the soldiers, in communications distress.

Bad product publicity and PR = quick product repair resolutions when it comes to our soldiers and veterans.

Well seeing as these laptops are supposed to be donated for free, they might not.

My school went all Dell and at the same time the bookstore started selling Dell, because they got supposedly a really awesome deal doing it like that. it's only been a year and a half, and they dropped Dell from their bookstore after the very first semester of selling them, and are already talking about switching to HP next semester.

IGETEVEN 10-01-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 590745)
Well seeing as these laptops are supposed to be donated for free, they might not.

My school went all Dell and at the same time the bookstore started selling Dell, because they got supposedly a really awesome deal doing it like that. it's only been a year and a half, and they dropped Dell from their bookstore after the very first semester of selling them, and are already talking about switching to HP next semester.

I agree, Dell laptops are very problematic from what I'v heard and read. Maybe they need the PR?

I like HP, our experience with them have been positive and in most part, reliable, and were satisfied with both the PC's and laptops. The wife has a Netbook and loves it.

But I heard HP will be getting out of the PC computer business here in the near future.

I think education in our public school systems has been set on the back burner for a while as well. :(

trip286 10-01-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 590761)
I agree, Dell laptops are very problematic from what I'v heard and read. Maybe they need the PR?

I like HP, our experience with them have been positive and in most part, reliable, and were satisfied with both the PC's and laptops. The wife has a Netbook and loves it.

But I heard HP will be getting out of the PC computer business here in the near future.

I think education in our public school systems has been set on the back burner for a while as well. :(

My wife and I have had an HP desktop for 6 years that we just recently donated to an elderly couple (a friends grandparents) who wanted to try to catch up with the times. It was the most expensive top of the line one that you could get off the shelf without having it ordered. We loved it, and now they love it too. Of course it is a bit slower than newer ones, but only slightly slower than when we first bought it.

I only got Dell because they were being sold at the school's bookstore, therefore my Montgomery GI benefits would take care of most of the cost. I regret it, because in the long run it took money out of my pocket, and they turned out to really suck.

gregs887 10-01-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 590745)

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 590761)

^Yup

BBC News - Hewlett Packard to exit computing and buy Autonomy