Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Delays Delays (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/delays-delays-40545/)

jeepcreep927 03-30-2011 08:00 PM

Delays Delays
 
After reading Pandamonium's post about waiting nine weeks, I guess I can't complain too much, but just a little.

Went to pick up the new XDM9 3.8 Compact just now. Delayed. Not a big deal, but consider the following purchases in the last few years:

Long Gun- Ruger 10/22= delayed (first new purchase in more than five years)
Long Gun- Remington LTR- No Delay
Handgun- Kel Tec P3AT= Delayed
Handgun- CZ-75= Delayed
Long Gun- Stevens 200= No Delay
Multiple "Other"- five AR lowers= No Delay
Handgun-Ruger LCP= Delay
Handgun- FEG 9mm= No Delay
Long Gun- Ruger M77= No Delay
Long Gun- Remington 870= No Delay
Handgun- S&W 1911- Delay
Handgun- CZ-75= Delay
Handgun- S/A XDM9- Delay
Multiple "Other"- 3 M98 receivers- No Delay
Long Gun- Stevens 200= No Delay
Long Gun- Howa 1500= No Delay
Handgun- XDM9 3.8 Compact- Delay

Seems a little coincidental to me. I have been delayed on every handgun purchase except one in the last four years.

Some of the other stuff was purchased up to and including three in one week. Multiple sales went through fine on two occasions.

Is this just complete randomness and ass-hatted inefficiency on behalf of the government or a purposeful attempt to institute an unofficial federal waiting period for handguns?

Worst part is, it was 40 degrees and sunny today. Supposed to get 14" of snow Friday. Damnit.

Samples.32 03-30-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 (Post 475977)
After reading Pandamonium's post about waiting nine weeks, I guess I can't complain too much, but just a little.

Went to pick up the new XDM9 3.8 Compact just now. Delayed. Not a big deal, but consider the following purchases in the last few years:

Long Gun- Ruger 10/22= delayed (first new purchase in more than five years)
Long Gun- Remington LTR- No Delay
Handgun- Kel Tec P3AT= Delayed
Handgun- CZ-75= Delayed
Long Gun- Stevens 200= No Delay
Multiple "Other"- five AR lowers= No Delay
Handgun-Ruger LCP= Delay
Handgun- FEG 9mm= No Delay
Long Gun- Ruger M77= No Delay
Long Gun- Remington 870= No Delay
Handgun- S&W 1911- Delay
Handgun- CZ-75= Delay
Handgun- S/A XDM9- Delay
Multiple "Other"- 3 M98 receivers- No Delay
Long Gun- Stevens 200= No Delay
Long Gun- Howa 1500= No Delay
Handgun- XDM9 3.8 Compact- Delay

Seems a little coincidental to me. I have been delayed on every handgun purchase except one in the last four years.

Some of the other stuff was purchased up to and including three in one week. Multiple sales went through fine on two occasions.

Is this just complete randomness and ass-hatted inefficiency on behalf of the government or a purposeful attempt to institute an unofficial federal waiting period for handguns?

Worst part is, it was 40 degrees and sunny today. Supposed to get 14" of snow Friday. Damnit.

You probably just have a very common name.

jeepcreep927 03-30-2011 08:11 PM

Mutt Irish- French Canadian. Kevin Patrick and my last name is French/ Canadian. Not terribly common I wouldn't think. I just want to believe it's all a ploy to ruin my day off before it snows. Again.

Seriously, 14" of snow in April?

General_lee 03-30-2011 08:34 PM

IMO it irritates the person behind the counter just as much as the person in front of it, especially at a gun show... I know it irritates me when a customer gets a delay.

BTW many customers will ask the FFL employee why they have been delayed or denied, The NICS examiner does NOT tell the FFL the reason WHY, the only thing they tell the FFL is Proceed, Delayed, or Denied.

danf_fl 03-30-2011 08:49 PM

Although the SSN is optional on the ATF fm 4473, I explain that, if provided, it may help with the background clearance if the name is a common name.

jeepcreep927 03-30-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 476007)
Although the SSN is optional on the ATF fm 4473, I explain that, if provided, it may help with the background clearance if the name is a common name.

I put my SSN on there too. I am used to it by now so I just kinda roll with it. The guy asked me for my phone number and said he would call me when they called him back. I have never had the NCIC "checker" call back so I just resign myself to picking it up in three business days.

The commonality with handgun purchases being delayed just seems odd I guess.

cddbrowns 03-30-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 (Post 476020)
I put my SSN on there too. I am used to it by now so I just kinda roll with it. The guy asked me for my phone number and said he would call me when they called him back. I have never had the NCIC "checker" call back so I just resign myself to picking it up in three business days.

The commonality with handgun purchases being delayed just seems odd I guess.

I have never NOT been delayed. I use my SSN, and everything and I have a very weird spelling of my first name. The problem is, states have started laying off people left and right that actually do the checks. Virginia went from 40 people doing them to 8 for the entire state. That can cause delays for a LONG time. Luckily mine have only lasted about 3 hours every time. Buddy of mine lasted a week right before hunting season opened....Governments way of making gun buyers annoyed enough to MAYBE not buy a gun today IMO.

Jesse17 03-30-2011 10:03 PM

I've never been delayed on any firearm purchase, hand gun or long gun. My wife was delayed on EVERY purchase, which is why she originaly got her CCW. Now it's just a quick call and done:)

danf_fl 03-30-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 476057)
I've never been delayed on any firearm purchase, hand gun or long gun. My wife was delayed on EVERY purchase, which is why she originaly got her CCW. Now it's just a quick call and done:)

Depending on how often you spend your hard earned money on firearms, it may be worth the cost of a CCW.

nhsuper44 03-31-2011 12:35 AM

Jeep, I too have been delayed on my last pistol purchases! No problem when I bought my AR. WTF over!


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.