Dedicated Prescription Shooting Glasses Advice? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Dedicated Prescription Shooting Glasses Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone tried the prescription inserts for:

1. Rudy project
2. Wiley X
3. Revision
4. ESS
5. Oakley

They all seem to make prescription inserts for shooting specific safety glasses. And you can change the tint lenses as you wish without messing with the prescription. And should you need a new prescription, just get new inserts made. Just use the same old tint lenses fine.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrags View Post

1. Rudy project
2. Wiley X
3. Revision
4. ESS
5. Oakley

They all seem to make prescription inserts for shooting specific safety glasses. And you can change the tint lenses as you wish without messing with the prescription. And should you need a new prescription, just get new inserts made. Just use the same old tint lenses fine.
I've got prescription inserts for my ESS ICE glasses. The inserts work ok, but weren't really made that good. They're ok for close range stuff, but I prefer using contact lenses. I've been thinking about getting new ones made by someone who actually specializes in shooting glasses, but the contacts have served me well so far.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #13

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try using night sights, comes in different colors and at least you can make out your sights then find your target

Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 921 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrags View Post

1. Rudy project
2. Wiley X
3. Revision
4. ESS
5. Oakley

I had Wiley X prescription goggles when I was in Iraq. They were ok, we were issued revision but I didn't like the prescription inserts. In Afghanistan, I had ESS Ice issued to me (though, I prefer the Crossbow, the Ice insert works in these). My Platoon Leader has prescription Oakleys and loved them.

Basically, it's all a matter of what feels better on you, and how much you are willing to spend. I still have my Wiley X goggles, use them occasionally. I have my ESS Ice and Crossbow that I swap out.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I was having problems and went in for a new prescription but it turned out to be a cataract. I had to have surgery to replace the lens.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Check out Smith Optics. I just saw some of their stuff at a trade show and was really impressed. The Elite Division is what you want.

https://elite.smithoptics.com/products/#/Rx+System/

Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #17

Liked 1322 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Walmart Optical is by far the cheapest price for prescription safety glasses.We are required to wear safety glasses 100% of the time in the oilfield.I have a pair of clear and dark lens safety glasses.I think I paid like $68 a pair for them,and insurance covered all of that.
I had Lenscrafters make me a pair several years ago,and they charged about $300 for them.