Dedicated Prescription Shooting Glasses Advice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dedicated Prescription Shooting Glasses Advice?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,963
Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10695

Default Dedicated Prescription Shooting Glasses Advice?

I went in to the eye doctor today because my eyes are just not what they used to be. I went to the range on Friday and had trouble making out the bullseye at 100 yards (I have always had excellent vision) so I was more concerned with the shooting aspect of my life than anything else (although I do use over-the-counter reading glasses when working on the bench up close.)

Anyhow, my vision isn't too bad and the doctor suggested that I bring a couple of rifles in to the office so they can better see what the visual requirements are with iron sights and a scope (I use both). I am considering the idea, but the glasses would be specific for shooting only, as she described it. I am going to make a trip to the range first specifically to note all of my related shooting habits (I couldn't nail them down in her office) so that if I do bring my rifles in to the office I will be able to do everything that I do at the range.

My question for Y'all is, if you wear corrective glasses at the range and you could design the "perfect" pair, how would you design them? I am leaning towards the amber lenses (I have used them when hunting and they help make things sharper in daylight).

I have seen those devices that you stick to your glasses that sharpen the sight picture like this one http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8767/Product/DELUXE-OPTICAL-ATTACHMENT
Anybody use these?

__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 294
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Yeah, I'm blind as a bat since the day I turned 40. The apertures you are talking about basically do what squinting does - collimate the light tighter which brings things into focus (at least that is how it was explained to me). I just use safety glasses, that is prescription glasses made from a tough polymer. Most opticians know about them or can look them up. The downside is they scratch easily. Yellow for some reason seems to be my color of choice. I go through about 3/4 pairs a year shooting every day.

__________________
Belltactical is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,963
Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10695

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical View Post
Yeah, I'm blind as a bat since the day I turned 40. The apertures you are talking about basically do what squinting does - collimate the light tighter which brings things into focus (at least that is how it was explained to me). I just use safety glasses, that is prescription glasses made from a tough polymer. Most opticians know about them or can look them up. The downside is they scratch easily. Yellow for some reason seems to be my color of choice. I go through about 3/4 pairs a year shooting every day.
Yeah, that little aperture device seems like a gimmick, especially at $60 a pop. I don't shoot every day but I try to go at least once a week. These glasses would be strictly for range use. I still have good vision I just can't spot the fly on a hog's arse at 100 yards like I used to. And the bullseye is not clear from 100 yards through a sight aperture.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scottybaccus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hutto,Tejas
Posts: 114
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I wear prescription lenses, always have. I don't wear a specific safety type product because I have found them quite expensive, and I don't shoot every day. I tend to buy polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare coatings, polarized if tinted for sun glasses. The sunglasses help a lot in daylight, but my clear lenses are best under artificial light.

Now before anyone gets irked about standard eye wear versus safety eye wear, I do work in an enviroment where protective eye wear is sometimes required, though not at a level where face shields and such would be. By our company standards, which are OSHA compliant, standard shatterproof eyewear meets the required criteria. I have also shot in competition and on many different ranges. I have never been challenged on the specification of my glasses. They do not look at all like safety glasses. While side shields would be nice sometimes, I am comfortable with the coverage.

__________________
scottybaccus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,963
Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10695

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
I wear prescription lenses, always have. I don't wear a specific safety type product because I have found them quite expensive, and I don't shoot every day. I tend to buy polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare coatings, polarized if tinted for sun glasses. The sunglasses help a lot in daylight, but my clear lenses are best under artificial light.

Now before anyone gets irked about standard eye wear versus safety eye wear, I do work in an enviroment where protective eye wear is sometimes required, though not at a level where face shields and such would be. By our company standards, which are OSHA compliant, standard shatterproof eyewear meets the required criteria. I have also shot in competition and on many different ranges. I have never been challenged on the specification of my glasses. They do not look at all like safety glasses. While side shields would be nice sometimes, I am comfortable with the coverage.
My most frequent shooting buddy (other than my sons) wears not-quite Coke-bottle glasses and nobody ever challenges him as to their effectiveness as safety glasses. Heck, they're near 1/4 inch thick!

Any glasses I get would be polycarbonate, as most are these days, which probably do qualify under ANSI as "safety glasses".
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,260
Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Default

I would find out how to avoid getting natural facial oils from clouding the lens corners near the nose bridge.

Also, as they are shooting glasses, cleaning may be in the background for now. Use water and a soft cotton or terry towel that does not have any fabric softener. Paper towels are too rough and have scratched lenses. Never wipe the lenses with a t-shirt and always rinse with a fluid first to wash dust away.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Near Marion, IN
Posts: 724
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Default

For general range or target/match shooting, ths sky's the limit. Wear whatever suits you. For personal protection training/practice, use what you wear for every day activities. If you should get into a self defense shooting scenario, you won't have time to change yer glasses.

Whatever works for ya

__________________

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Jay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,569
Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

Ive got frames with quick change lenses. My glasses guy did the same thing he had me bring in a couple of guns and noted what part of the lens i was looking through and ground them to fit.

Ive got lens for rifle coated tinted yellow that dim in bright light. Ive got yellow tinted pistol lenses and red tented shotgun lenses.

You eye girl can tell where the focal point is just by you holding your shooting pose. Highly recomend it for prescription shooters!!

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scottybaccus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hutto,Tejas
Posts: 114
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Ive got frames with quick change lenses. My glasses guy did the same thing he had me bring in a couple of guns and noted what part of the lens i was looking through and ground them to fit.

Ive got lens for rifle coated tinted yellow that dim in bright light. Ive got yellow tinted pistol lenses and red tented shotgun lenses.

You eye girl can tell where the focal point is just by you holding your shooting pose. Highly recomend it for prescription shooters!!
That's interesting. My biggest issue with my glasses is that I don't like the focus in particular zones of my vision when shooting scoped rifles. I am actually moving to scout mount configurations because I see optics better with my glasses when they are at arm's length. I am also practicing two eyes open a lot more with these optics and it's paying off.
__________________
scottybaccus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,963
Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10695

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
eye girl
You pretty much had me until you said this. She is a Doctor of Optometry. I find it difficult enough to concentrate on the concerns I have with my eyes without noticing that she is a very attractive woman. Probably young enough to be my daughter to be sure, but nevertheless.

Where was I? Oh yes, my eyes. And shooting glasses. The glasses you talk about sound very expensive. I mean they sound great and all but how much do they cost?
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting safety glasses over prescription glasses jrags Firearm Accessories & Gear 11 02-17-2012 12:13 AM
Shooting Glasses colmustard Firearm Accessories & Gear 14 01-02-2012 01:48 PM
Shooting Glasses-Blind as a Bat! ALS11 General Handgun Discussion 5 11-24-2011 10:01 PM
Bifocal shooting glasses NOVA Firearm Accessories & Gear 17 08-12-2011 08:59 AM
Glasses when shooting kdog Training & Safety 16 05-03-2010 03:56 AM