Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dec. 1 2012 a historic day for the US Navy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dec-1-2012-historic-day-us-navy-77415/)

JD1969 11-30-2012 02:23 PM

Dec. 1 2012 a historic day for the US Navy

Tomorrow, Dec. 1, 2012 the ship my father served on will be decommissioned. The USS Enterprise aka "Big E" is the second oldest commissioned ship in the Navy (behind the USS Constitution). She was the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier in our fleet and part of the first nuclear powered Task Group to see combat. She also played a role in the Cuban missile crisis, the first Gulf War and many many other operations.

My dad was a Navy Nuke and was a Machinists Mate 1st class, he was asked to test for Chief Petty Officer, passed the test but declined as his time was up and he wanted to go home and spend time with his family. He served in the US Navy for 10 years ('58-'68).

Any other members here serve or have friends or family that served aboard the USS Enterprise?

bobski 11-30-2012 08:54 PM

7 Attachment(s)
i served 4 cruises on her.
i was on her when she was the only nuke attack carrier in the world. then she became the first nuke multi mission antisub capable carrier in the world too. they dropped the A designation.
im here in va now. i see her when i go to work every day. soon, she'll be gone. i became a man on that ship.
it will all be memories soon.
she will be missed.

jjfuller1 11-30-2012 08:59 PM

kind of a sad day... be great to make a musem out of it for history sake

bobski 11-30-2012 09:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
it cant be. it has too many nuke hot spots. the metal must be buried. its been sold and will be scraped in washington state. the reactors will be yanked here in va. in order to do it, everything from the keel to the hanger deck will have to be removed. there wont be anything left to make into a museum.
remember, the e was a class of its own. it has 8 reactors, 4 props and 4 rudders.
today, carriers only have 2 reactors, 2 rudders.
the entire 2nd deck and below was one huge reactor.

c3shooter 11-30-2012 11:34 PM

I was aboard her when she was in Newport News Shipbuilding for a refit- back about 1988 or so. Walking up to a vessel that size in a graving dock is like walking up to, and standing beside a gray mountain.

Ruger22lr 11-30-2012 11:35 PM

They better not scrap her like the original Big E

JD1969 12-01-2012 02:47 AM

If anyone can find a live steam of the ceremony or any type of vid, I would be very thankful.
bobski, you must the same guy from the Ruger site. I posted in that thread as well. Thanks for putting up all the info you did.

robertb6112 12-01-2012 03:43 AM

Hopefully it's still in the yards in February so I can at least see it.

kfox75 12-01-2012 04:18 AM

Thank you for posting this JD. I have a couiple friends and 2 cousins who were in the Navy. I'll have to ask them if any of them served aboard her.

To the veterans who did, and all of the other veterans who have served or still are serving our nation, Thank You for your service, and a thank you to your families who stand behind you. There are so many that do not understand that freedom isn't free. If it were not for you, I fear that many would learn this lesson the hard way.

trip286 12-01-2012 04:40 AM

I got to see it up close when I boarded the Whidbey Island.

I also took a tour of a carrier, but I'm not sure which one (nor even how many we have for that matter). I took the tour when I was a kid, maybe 5 or so. My uncle at the time was an enlisted sailor. I think it may have been the enterprise.

That also would have been around '88-'89. It was in a shipyard.