Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Death in Silent Places (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/death-silent-places-87746/)

ShagNasty1001 03-29-2013 10:54 AM

Death in Silent Places

Has anyone read this book by Peter Hathaway Capstick? I just finished it and its fantastic. The book can be slightly graphic but goes on to explain hunting stories of some of the most famous big game hunters from Africa, India and South America. Cottontop or JPatterson, this seems like your kind of book if you haven't read it yet

c3shooter 03-29-2013 12:44 PM

ANYTHING by Capstick is worth reading. You might also like "Death in the Long Grass".

ShagNasty1001 03-29-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
ANYTHING by Capstick is worth reading. You might also like "Death in the Long Grass".

I was thinking that and "Death in the Dark Continent" but not sure in which order. I do know that going hunting I'm Africa is on my bucket list

eatmydust 03-29-2013 01:10 PM

Capstick's, Death in the Long Grass, is a must read for anyone wondering what it was like to hunt Africa in the old days! One of the most suspenseful books I've ever read!

Another great read is Jack O'Connor's, The Art of Hunting Big Game, different writing style, different continent. If you are a .270 Win. fan, this man was the most vocal proponent of this caliber that I have ever seen.

locutus 03-29-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1195233)
Capstick's, Death in the Long Grass, is a must read for anyone wondering what it was like to hunt Africa in the old days! One of the most suspenseful books I've ever read!

Another great read is Jack O'Connor's, The Art of Hunting Big Game, different writing style, different continent. If you are a .270 Win. fan, this man was the most vocal proponent of this caliber that I have ever seen.

I have a real problem with anyone who calls himself a hunter, but hires a guide to take him hunting 25 miles from his home. Not much of a hunter IMHO.

shadecorp 03-29-2013 10:36 PM

Have, I think,
Most of Capsticks books.
Great Writer.

trip286 03-29-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadecorp (Post 1195869)
Have, I think,
Most of Capsticks books.
Great Writer.

Hi. Koo. Excuse you... ;) somewhat.

Isn't "Death in the Long Grass" the story that ghost and the darkness was based on?

DavidB 03-30-2013 12:50 AM

I have all of his books in hardback, death in the long grass, safari, death in the dark continent, Africa, death in the silent places, death in a lonely land, the Africa adventures, the last ivory hunter, & sands of silence. Free to anybody that wants them, If you will cover shipping. My family is moving soon, that's one less thing we want to pack and lift.

MattShlock 03-30-2013 12:57 AM

Capstick also edited the whole series of St. Martin's Press' "From Peter Capstick's Library" series of Golden Age big game hunting works. Never went and never will go on an African Safari but these are amazing tomes, each of them.

And I think the movie was from The Maneaters of Tsavo which is in the series...

dango 03-30-2013 01:53 AM

I love scarring the crap out of myself.! I'll pack in far enough that I know I can't make it out by dark , that way , I know nobody will bother me . After I set camp and get all comfy , I like reading scarey crap ! Every time a twig snaps , every time the wind blows and howls , Eeeek..! I LOVE THAT STUFF..!
He,s on my list now , Thanks....! :)