Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Death of Common Sense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7722 Times on 4458 Posts
Likes Given: 9957

Default The Death of Common Sense

An Obituary printed in the London Times.....Absolutely Brilliant!!

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for so many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red
tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Having farms to cultivate on;
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun tan lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches were treated as businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,

- by his parents, Truth and Trust,

- by his wife, Discretion,

- by his daughter, Responsibility, and

- by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers:

- I Know My Rights
- I Want It Now
- Someone Else Is To Blame
- I'm A Victim
- Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

That is too sad to be funny. Darn shame!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thats pretty good

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6738 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 8030

Great post.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #5

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm probably going to share this, most people will agree with it and yet so many people don't have any! It's a bit like talking about the Constitution. Everybody knows it's an important document and everyone pretends to know a lot about it, but then these same people support unconstitutional laws.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Another great post Vike!! Thank you...again!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

It's been too long ago for me to remember the details of which university, etc., but I remember the results of a study that was done about common sense. Only 7% of the participants had any. I'd expectt an even lower result if it was confined to our currant leadership in washington dc.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7722 Times on 4458 Posts
Likes Given: 9957

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
It's been too long ago for me to remember the details of which university, etc., but I remember the results of a study that was done about common sense. Only 7% of the participants had any. I'd expectt an even lower result if it was confined to our currant leadership in washington dc.
That would be an interesting study to read, not only that it would be even more interesting to do a comparative study today with similar subjects.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I wish I could remember which university did it & then we could probably find it on the 'net.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep, it's really sad that this is the America that is being handed down to the next generation(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
This particular part is not even close to the real event that it refers to though...