dealing with siblings when a parent dies - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > dealing with siblings when a parent dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6138 Times on 3041 Posts
Likes Given: 6518

So sad Part2, its bad enough you have to try to cope with the loss of a parent and then the money starts to overshadow the grief. I went through this same scenario with family over the last year, My stepfather turned out to be the grabber, I finally had enough and told everyone to do what they wanted, Im done with it.

If their is enough to have a lawyer work for it, go ahead, if not, let them scrap over it. It will be gone soon enough and those that got greedy will ultimately have to face the music. Good luck and hope all turns out OK if it can.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #12

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

My siblings and I didn't have that kind of problem, but only because there was nothing to fight over. My wife had the same kind of issues when her Mother died four years ago. Nothing has been settled on that death yet. Be patient.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I hired a lawyer before mom ever passed. It's a really long story, and my attorney who's little more then a business acquaintance, little less than friend had a hard time believing what I was telling him... He admitted today, this is one of the craziest things he's dealt with in his career.

He convinced me that there was not enough in dispute to file suit over. I would quickly burn through as much money as in dispute. Wildcard is the value the house that IMO was sold WAY TOO cheap.

We had an interesting discussion about the small bank account. Estate attorney wants to open a probate just for that amount. I'm being named as the petitioner instead of the personal rep. SOOO, I asked my attorney if he could do this instead of the slimy badstard handling the trust. He said, no, conflict of interest... but wait, the slimy badstard is also in conflict of interest

I'm a little more settled, still have no idea why my sister is all of a sudden demanding I give her a death certificate. I had an extra 10 copies made by the funeral home.

Even with mom's best attempt to avoid all this, it's still ugly

Guess the thing I'm having the most difficulty with is the memorial service held that I never even knew about That and conspiring to hide from me that mom had even re-entered the hospital. It was only after the hospital called looking for (my words) an adult to make grown-up decisions. By the time I got involved, she was toast and it was about managing her end of life decisions.

I know that everything I did was right and in her best interests. Not everybody involved can say that.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2882 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I am sorry for your loss.
I suggest that you set up your personal matters so such a situation can be avoided.

Lawyers are the ones who get rich with probates, not the heirs.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I am sorry for your loss.
I suggest that you set up your personal matters so such a situation can be avoided.

Lawyers are the ones who get rich with probates, not the heirs.
Here's the irony... Mom thought she had everything set up properly!

Wife and I will be taking care of this after this gets settled.