dealing with siblings when a parent dies
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > dealing with siblings when a parent dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1016 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Default dealing with siblings when a parent dies

holy crap, will this ride ever end?

Latest discovery... Sister decided to hold a memorial service, after she suggested to not spend the money, and didn't invite me {sigh}

executor has charged the estate over 10k in "services" including driving my sister around town at 35 per hour, plus mileage

now my sister is demanding I send her a copy of the death certificate... I'm guessing there's something nefarious with the credit union accounts...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Here a little something about executor fees:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8617788_fees-estate-executors.html

Why did the executor drive the sister around? That was not a requirement in his duties.
If he / she did it as a favor, then the executor gets zip/nada/nothing.
If the sister offered to pay, then sister is responsible.

Heck, that is more than a taxi.

You have as much right as your sister to work with credit unions (and the CUs will accept a copy from you. It does not need to come from sister.)
But the credit union should have been part of executor's duties.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1016 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 223

dan,

You lit a fire under me. Just fired an email off to my attorney telling him to get control of this situation or find someone that could.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #4

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

This is all kinds of crazy, I agree with dan, that would be the best plan of action.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
holy crap, will this ride ever end?

Latest discovery... Sister decided to hold a memorial service, after she suggested to not spend the money, and didn't invite me {sigh}

executor has charged the estate over 10k in "services" including driving my sister around town at 35 per hour, plus mileage

now my sister is demanding I send her a copy of the death certificate... I'm guessing there's something nefarious with the credit union accounts...
Executor works for the estate of the deceased, not the heirs. Duties and responsibilities should be limited to safeguarding the estate assets, filing required notices and probate documents and arranging for the tax returns leading to the distribution of the estates assets to those named in the Will. Not sure serving as your sister's driver qualifies...as a beneficiary named in the will you have the right to challenge the amounts charged and petition the Court for a complete accounting of every dollar spent by the executor. If you feel that the Executor is not acting in a manner consistent with his fiduciary responsibility TO YOU you can bring an action against him for conversion.

Also, I believe that technically your sister cannot touch the estate assets if she is not a co-administrator or co-executor (executrix ?) Until the estate is closed the executor retains complete control of all estate assets, typically neither he nor the assets are permitted to leave the state of residence of the deceased.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Executor works for the estate of the deceased, not the heirs. Duties and responsibilities should be limited to safeguarding the estate assets, filing required notices and probate documents and arranging for the tax returns leading to the distribution of the estates assets to those named in the Will. Not sure serving as your sister's driver qualifies...as a beneficiary named in the will you have the right to challenge the amounts charged and petition the Court for a complete accounting of every dollar spent by the executor. If you feel that the Executor is not acting in a manner consistent with his fiduciary responsibility TO YOU you can bring an action against him for conversion.

Also, I believe that technically your sister cannot touch the estate assets if she is not a co-administrator or co-executor (executrix ?) Until the estate is closed the executor retains complete control of all estate assets, typically neither he nor the assets are permitted to leave the state of residence of the deceased.
All this is true as I understand it. The problem is that you will have to pay the attorney to get it straightened out. The executor can be sued, but you will have to retain an attorney to do it and you better know exactly what has been done that is illegal.

A buddy of mine had a bad deal after his father died. The dad had taken in a young gal off the streets of Modesto (seriously? The streets of Modesto are literally littered with crack whores looking for a sugar daddy to leech off of for as long as they can) who changed his will to leave everything to her. He was very sick and she would not allow any family to see him, kept the old guy locked up in his house until he died. My buddy hired an attorney and told him to sue until the entire estate was burned up, or the b!tch gave up. It was the former, not the latter outcome.

If you are not desperately in need of the cash in the estate then maybe that is a tactic you might consider.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Keep hanging in there man! I agree with seeking legal counsel to reign in the sister, executor, and any unneeded spending and to generally get this process done and settled ASAP.

I am sooo dreading this; i am the youngest of four with the eldest being a world-class control freak and greedy bitch. I have told my parents that they should do their very best to leave nothing behind, financially.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

I also highly recommend that if you can to convince everybody you can to make out a will or trust or whatever works for them, naming an executor who is not named in the will. Maybe even have an attorney or pastor named in that role. Anybody but a control freak child. Oh, and encourage them to leave nothing of value behind.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Very sorry for your loss. It seems you do need to get some legal counsel on this. It seems a little shady to me.

-Matt

Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

One thing that people forget when a loved one dies,
The insurance monies go to the beneficiaries and is NOT part of the estate.

When I was involved with a friend's estate (he died and we had to take care of his elderly spouse, who had dementia and spoke only Japanese), his estate came to a negative balance.

Bill collectors were hounding her for her money from his insurance to pay bills the deceased had in his name only. I referred them to the attorney who told me that the money was her's and not the estate's.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 12-11-2012 at 09:22 AM.
People Like This