Dead Diggers families abused
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dead Diggers families abused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Dead Diggers families abused

[Rant starts now:]

Dead Diggers' families abused

by Paul Maley

The Australian, October 22, 2009 12:00AM

THREE days after their son was killed by a Taliban rocket attack in Afghanistan, the Sher family received a phone call.

The caller, a woman who identified herself as Sister Amirah, asked if she could send a letter offering condolences over the death of 30-year-old Private Greg Sher, who had served with the Sydney-based 1st Commando Regiment.

Numb with grief and fielding dozens of telephone calls a day, the family agreed, then thought no more of their caller.

Until the letter arrived.

"A Jewish man who kills innocent Muslim civilians is not a pig, he is a thousand times worse," the letter said.

"Some people don't eat the meat of a pig, but they are dirtier than pig. What's the point if some people don't eat pork while their behaviour is worse than dirty animals? Why should we call a pig a hero?"

The Shers, a proud Jewish family, were appalled.

They did not know they were one of several Australian families whose sons had died in Afghanistan who were then targeted by a man calling himself "Sheik Haron".

Yesterday, the Australian Federal Police charged a 45-year-old man from the inner western suburb of Croydon Park with seven counts of using a postal or similar service to menace, harass or cause offence.

Sheik Haron or, as he is known on his website, "Ayatollah Manteghi Boroujerdi" is understood to have written to, phoned or otherwise harassed up to seven grieving families.

In his most egregious intrusion, one of his supporters confronted Breanna Till, the partner of Sergeant Brett Till who was killed while defusing a bomb in March.

The incident took place at her husband's funeral, after the supporter presented Ms Till with one of the sheik's poisonous letters.

When contacted by The Australian yesterday, Ms Till declined to discuss the matter. However, defence sources have confirmed the exchange took place.

Little is known about the sheik, who is understood to go by a number of names. His website contains dozens of letters, at least seven of which are addressed to the relatives of fallen Diggers.

Another letter on the site is addressed to the family of Australian trade official Craig Senger, who was killed when an offshoot of Jemaah Islamiah bombed the Marriott hotel in Jakarta in July.

Felix Sher, Greg's father, said the letter - a copy of which was sent via registered post and a second by regular mail - shocked his family, although he was more concerned about the effect the sheik's actions would have on other, more vulnerable relatives.

"Anti-Semitism isn't something that is strange to us," Mr Sher said.

"However, what really affected us was when we found out it went to people like Breanna Till, and people like that - that's what hurts more. Why would these people be subject to such abuse?"

John Worsley, whose son was killed in December 2007 following a clash with the Taliban, was also harassed by the sheik.

"We received a phone call the afternoon or the evening our boy was killed," Mr Worsley said. "He said words to the effect that he was sorry to hear that we'd lost our son, but as the conversation progressed it was, our country's involved in a war it shouldn't be involved in, in a country it shouldn't be in."

After the phone call, the letters started coming, three in total.

"They said our boy was a killer of innocents and things like that."

The AFP was tight-lipped about the case yesterday, although officers suggested their interest in the sheik was far from over, saying their inquiries were "ongoing".

As part of the investigation, officers from the Sydney Joint Counter-Terrorism Team executed search warrants on residential addresses in the Sydney suburbs of Croydon Park, Campsie, and Green Valley.

The charged man was granted conditional bail and will appear in court on November 10.

Dead Diggers' families abused | The Australian

F*cking SICK is pretty much the only description I can think of for such an act. Especially since I know both current & former serving members of 1 Commando Coy.

And the man protests he 'loves Australia'

Today was the court case. Suddenly, his abusive letters are in fact ones of 'peace'...

'Killer' letters to diggers' families 'like baskets of flowers'

BELLINDA KONTOMINAS

November 10, 2009 - 12:57PM

A self-styled Muslim cleric, who sent letters to the families of Australian diggers who died in Afghanistan calling them "killers" and "murderers", said the letters were like a "basket of flowers" or a message of condolence that all Australians should send.

Man Haron Monis, 45, of Croydon Park, also known as Sheikh Haron, made the comments after appearing at the Downing Centre Local Court. He then chained himself to a railing outside the court with an Australian flag raised high above his head.

Mr Monis is charged with seven counts of using a postal service to menace, harass or cause offence, after he sent letters to grieving parents and wives of seven Australian soldiers.

During a brief appearance, his solicitor, Chris Murphy, told the court his client was a "peace activist" who had no criminal history.

"These letters don't contain threats; he is a peace activist," Mr Murphy said. "I used to be one during Vietnam."

Mr Monis's bail conditions were reduced to allow him to report one day a week, rather than three.

Outside court, he spoke at length in Arabic before telling reporters in English that the Australian Government had put its citizens at risk by fighting a war in Afghanistan.

"Mr John Howard, Mr Kevin Rudd ... are you Australian or American? If you are Australian you should care about Australia's interests rather than America's interests."

Mr Monis said the soldiers who fought and died in Afghanistan had "love" for their country but should only have been fighting if Australia was attacked directly.

He said the letters he sent were condolence letters with a message asking the families to pressure the Government to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

"This pen is my gun and these words are my bullets. Despite my poor English, I fight with these weapons, against oppression, to promote peace," Mr Manon said, pulling out an Australian flag.

"This is my jihad, I love Australia. I want safety for Australia, I don't want to be used our soldiers [sic]. I don't want Australians to be unsafe."

Mr Monis later pulled out a sign that asked Mr Rudd not to "kill Afghan civilians" otherwise "they will kill our civilians".

He will reappear in court in January.

'Killer' letters to diggers' families 'like baskets of flowers'

So firstly one of our brave soldiers was a "pig"....then when the case rolls around the same soldiers are just 'misguided patriots'? I mean WTF?

[Rant end <snip>]

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Rock breaks scissors, paper covers rock, scissors cut paper, and two well-placed punches will break not only his nose, but his front teeth as well.
Some people just need to have the living sh*t beaten out of them, and this guy is the Poster Child.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Picking on the dead is only OK if you are a scavenger.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Australian goverment should help this guy out and give him a one way ticket Afghanistan. To harass the grieving familes of good soldiers is at best sign of a weak mind. Seems like a coward to me that attacks people grieving. Lets see how well he does when he's face to face with the real world not hiding behind his computer.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Take this worthless excuse for a human being 25 miles off shore, give him a broken paddle, 1 quart of water and a can of pork and beans. Provide a map (hand drawn) with directions to Afghanistan and a toy compass.

You have just been deported from Australia!! Good luck a$$ hole!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
The Australian goverment should help this guy out and give him a one way ticket Afghanistan. To harass the grieving familes of good soldiers is at best sign of a weak mind. Seems like a coward to me that attacks people grieving. Lets see how well he does when he's face to face with the real world not hiding behind his computer.

According to this article, there may be a way to revoke his citizenship...and thereby deport this waste of space:

Quote:
THE prosecution of Iranian-born Sheik Haron, who is accused of sending vile letters to the families of dead Diggers, could lead to major citizenship law changes.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd yesterday said he would "reflect" on the citizenship status of a migrant if they had betrayed "certain undertakings" made when they became an Australian citizen.

But he said it "may or may not be possible to adjust the laws". At the extreme, a change could include the revocation of citizenship, followed by deportation.

Currently citizenship can't be removed unless it was obtained through fraud or a serious crime was committed, and not acknowledged, before it was granted.

He's still chained up outside the court today...and is pointed out below, pretty damn distasteful on Remembrance Day...

Accused Sheik back in chains outside court

Sheik Haron in chains

A man accused of sending abusive letters to families of dead soldiers has chained himself outside a Sydney court for a second day.

Man Monis, who also uses the name Sheik Haron is chained to a railing outside the Downing Centre Local Court holding an Australian flag.

Yesterday he spent eight hours chained to the railing after his first court appearance.

The 45-year-old is accused of sending abusive letters to families of Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan and the family of a trade official who died ini this year's Jakarta bombing.

Monis says he is a peace activist who wants the Federal Government to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

A few onlookers have stopped to look at the signs he is holding up.

One onlooker has commented that it is inappropriate for him to be there on Remembrance Day.

Accused Sheik back in chains outside court - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I say keep him chained up and let him starve. Nasty POS.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Clearly he isn't "chained" in that picture At best he's trying to make a statement, at worse the local guberment need to buy hand cuffs Have the Auzi's heard of bolt cutters? Or in this case unwrap the chains and take him to jail.

Zhuk, your not trying to promote this guy are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
According to this article, there may be a way to revoke his citizenship...and thereby deport this waste of space:

He's still chained up outside the court today...and is pointed out below, pretty damn distasteful on Remembrance Day...

Accused Sheik back in chains outside court

Sheik Haron in chains

A man accused of sending abusive letters to families of dead soldiers has chained himself outside a Sydney court for a second day.

Man Monis, who also uses the name Sheik Haron is chained to a railing outside the Downing Centre Local Court holding an Australian flag.

Yesterday he spent eight hours chained to the railing after his first court appearance.

The 45-year-old is accused of sending abusive letters to families of Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan and the family of a trade official who died ini this year's Jakarta bombing.

Monis says he is a peace activist who wants the Federal Government to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

A few onlookers have stopped to look at the signs he is holding up.

One onlooker has commented that it is inappropriate for him to be there on Remembrance Day.

Accused Sheik back in chains outside court - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 11-11-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1827 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

I want to comment; however, the language I want to use would make a sailor cry!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Clearly he isn't "chained" in that picture At best he's trying to make a statement, at worse the local guberment need to buy hand cuffs Have the Auzi's heard of bolt cutters? Or in this case unwrap the chains and take him to jail.

Zhuk, your not trying to promote this guy are you?

Promote him? Hell no!

Think the "chained" tag came from the despicable man himself and the papers picked up on it...yeah I think you're right it's all about a "statement" showing how the poor bastard is so badly treated & repressed cos he got charged for what abhorrent nastiness he committed. Oh the 'cruelty' of it!

Probably not actually breaking any laws attaching himself, which is why the bolt-cutters haven't been brought out. Or else the gutless & publicly hated State Govt (facing an election in 2011 which they so richly deserve to lose) doesn't want to lose the "Muslim vote", since many of their electorates are in Sydney's western subs which have a high proportion of Muslim residents. I really wouldn't put it past those bastards...everything comes down to political usefulness or otherwise to them