Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dangers of Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Dangers of Reloading

I have always wanted to get Into reloading but I am concerned about accidentally loading a hot round and hurting myself or others. Is this something I should look past and start reloading. Or does it happen often?

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6646 Times on 3614 Posts
Likes Given: 5732

So far Fox television could never make a show with me in it called "When loads go bad"

You just have to understand the concept, and myself I visually inspect the powder levels of all cartridges before I seat the bullet. (I single stage press reload) and by following the books have never had any kind of round mishap. and remember, an underloaded rifle round is as dangerous as an overloaded pistol round.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1276 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Buy at least one good reloading manual, such as Sierra, Nosler, etc. and follow the instructions religiously. Ignore all the: "You don't have to [insert stupid idea here] and you'll be fine.

It is a fascinating and rewarding hobby.

ps: Add Anna's advice (which you won't find in manuals). Likewise, I always look to make sure there is powder in the case before I seat a bullet. A squib load is real dangerous. It's easy enough to avoid if you know to simply have a look before seating a bullet.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 09-24-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

So perhaps im concerned because all my local shooting ranges have signs with exploded firearms and text that says "No Reloads"

Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

Do any of you all know of a good reloading press to start with? I'm looking for something very inexpensive so I don't have to commit to reloading if its not my thing.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1276 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

I would suggest that you avoid cheap. I did that at the start, ended up selling it for next to nothing and bought better. If you start with, say, the RCBS Supreme Master Reloader kit, you'll spend a bit more up front but if you don't like it, you'll have many takers for that kit and at a fair price to you. You might even find a good reloading kit like that 2nd hand?

If need be, take a second job for a month to avoid going cheap.

No comment on your shooting range signs - I've never seen such a sign up here. IMO, such a sign would be written by a drooler.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 581 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody
So perhaps im concerned because all my local shooting ranges have signs with exploded firearms and text that says "No Reloads"
That is because there are idiots that ruin a good thing. Also it may be insurance. If you like to text and drive, don't reload.
Most ranges don't have such restrictions, or I would not have been reloading for forty years.
Previous posts are correct. Just watch your steps checking along the way.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the help

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You pay attention to what you are doing and do the right research and you will not have a "hot load" problem. It's really that simple. Get a couple reloading guides. Look up load data on the net as well. Look what companies that make components say is a proper load. Like you use powder A and slug B this is the proper load and the pressure to be expected.
Every time I've seen first hand a problem with reloaded ammo it was because the one doing it was not paying attention. When I'm making ammo I don't talk to people, I don't have a TV on, all I do is make ammo. I take breaks after a predetermined number of rounds and I go over the press settings after so many rounds (usually 250-350). I take measurements of ammo to make sure the slug is in the right place...Not too deep or not enough...
I don't like being in someone else's reloading room when they are working either. It's a distraction to the one making ammo. And I'm not going to help someone make a mistake.
When I'm on a break I leave the reloading room entirely. Take a walk around the house or outside. Taking ten minutes or so every now and then helps keep me fresh and clears my head some.

Doing this I make thousands of rounds at a time and have yet to have a problem with the first one. I'm kind of lazy so when I get to where I want or need to make rounds I make a lot!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 555 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 287

Never start at max or near max loads as already advised Rocky7 follow the recipe exactly!
You're dealing with very high pressures and simply changing the brand of cases can increase them dramatically, especially if your loading near the high end.
A little attention to detail and a little common sense and you've entered into a new dimension, one I expect you will enjoy immensely!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.