Dancing with Coyotes.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dancing with Coyotes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Dancing with Coyotes.

Dancing with Coyotes.

So I take my Dogs to the park yesterday at 6:30 am like every weekend. This time we were at the baseball fields. Four large diamonds together surrounded by the wildlife area. As we are walking the dogs charge of into the centre of the fields. I look up and see a coyote crouching on the grass. I call my dogs back and as they turn the coyote goes after them. My dogs are 65 and 70 pounds. This coyote was at best 45, but it was chasing my dogs like it was planning to kill. I run out into the field waving my arms and yelling. I get within 30 ft before this coyote breaks off and heads the other way. As the dogs and I walk off this thing starts stalking us. I have the GF hold the dogs and start stalking the coyote. Now of course California in their wisdom will not allow me to have a gun to defend myself so I’m chasing this thing with just a Cold Steel Recon. I’m wondering if I’m going to have to go Tarzan on this coyote and try to kill it with just my knife. Finally after a little back and forth it heads across the field. I keep an eye on it and see it is now stalking a woman with her two dogs. She sees it and starts to run. The coyote is closing in on her. I’m running that way to help but I’m a good two hundred yards away. Luckily her two big dogs were smarter than her and turned and faced off the coyote. It trailed them all the way to the parking lot where we got in our cars and left.

Now that’s an Easter morning I won’t be forgetting.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Coyotes are becoming a problem up here as well. I live in a dense suburb close to the freeway.

A pack of three went after my neighbor's 80 lb lab mix the other night.

I have a 90 lb rot and I make sure to stand with him when on the leash, and in addition to my 9mm I carry pepper spray when we go on walks. Coyote's are new to the area, and my biggest concern is the young children running around the neighborhood.

That lady almost made a grave mistake running. From what I have read, the best thing you can do is challenge the little bastards.

Fun Easter though!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of areas. About a month or two back a town here had a child attacked by what was assumed was a coyote. The kids dog and his mom scared the "animal" away and the kid was taken to the hospital, presumably for rabbies shots and the like.

The locals got together and did a hunt and wiped out about 12 or 15 of them, but this is an area that you wouldn't expect coyotes to just wander into town from the woods.

I am all for thinning that heard with prejudice. Those things can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if left unchecked.

Glad you and the family are okay Jo.

JD

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Dancing with Coyotes.
Makes you wonder if the Yote wasn't rabid!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Dancing with Coyotes.

So I take my Dogs to the park yesterday at 6:30 am like every weekend. This time we were at the baseball fields. Four large diamonds together surrounded by the wildlife area. As we are walking the dogs charge of into the centre of the fields. I look up and see a coyote crouching on the grass. I call my dogs back and as they turn the coyote goes after them. My dogs are 65 and 70 pounds. This coyote was at best 45, but it was chasing my dogs like it was planning to kill. I run out into the field waving my arms and yelling. I get within 30 ft before this coyote breaks off and heads the other way. As the dogs and I walk off this thing starts stalking us. I have the GF hold the dogs and start stalking the coyote. Now of course California in their wisdom will not allow me to have a gun to defend myself so I’m chasing this thing with just a Cold Steel Recon. I’m wondering if I’m going to have to go Tarzan on this coyote and try to kill it with just my knife. Finally after a little back and forth it heads across the field. I keep an eye on it and see it is now stalking a woman with her two dogs. She sees it and starts to run. The coyote is closing in on her. I’m running that way to help but I’m a good two hundred yards away. Luckily her two big dogs were smarter than her and turned and faced off the coyote. It trailed them all the way to the parking lot where we got in our cars and left.

Now that’s an Easter morning I won’t be forgetting.
Damn California Gun Laws!

Here in Missouri you would get in trouble for NOT shooting the coyote

My Mom (57 years old) got cornered by 3 yotes a while back about 300 yards away from her house. Mom hit 1 in the neck with a .357 sig (body recovered 30 yards away) while the others decided to be out like fat girls in dodgeball.

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's strange behavior for a lone yote, daytime, stalking alone,etc....

I've seen lots of them around here and getting more frequent every year. My old lab was attacked by 4 or 5 of them once ,but he managed to fight them off. They need to be thinned off for sure.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
That's strange behavior for a lone yote, daytime, stalking alone,etc....

I've seen lots of them around here and getting more frequent every year. My old lab was attacked by 4 or 5 of them once ,but he managed to fight them off. They need to be thinned off for sure.
I've heard you can't ever thin out the coyote population very much. That the females just give birth to a greater number of pups if you take out very many.
Is that true or just urban legend?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's the eggs.....we have to go after their eggs.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
It's the eggs.....we have to go after their eggs.
Let's scramble some up at the mini meet

Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Jo,

You might want to let your wildlife division know about the incident. They might want to see if they can trap it before it hurts or kills someone or their pets. It's obvious that it doesn't have a lot of natural fear anymore.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.