Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dancing with Coyotes. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dancing-coyotes-25668/)

Jo da Plumbr 04-05-2010 04:01 PM

Dancing with Coyotes.

Dancing with Coyotes.

So I take my Dogs to the park yesterday at 6:30 am like every weekend. This time we were at the baseball fields. Four large diamonds together surrounded by the wildlife area. As we are walking the dogs charge of into the centre of the fields. I look up and see a coyote crouching on the grass. I call my dogs back and as they turn the coyote goes after them. My dogs are 65 and 70 pounds. This coyote was at best 45, but it was chasing my dogs like it was planning to kill. I run out into the field waving my arms and yelling. I get within 30 ft before this coyote breaks off and heads the other way. As the dogs and I walk off this thing starts stalking us. I have the GF hold the dogs and start stalking the coyote. Now of course California in their wisdom will not allow me to have a gun to defend myself so I知 chasing this thing with just a Cold Steel Recon. I知 wondering if I知 going to have to go Tarzan on this coyote and try to kill it with just my knife. Finally after a little back and forth it heads across the field. I keep an eye on it and see it is now stalking a woman with her two dogs. She sees it and starts to run. The coyote is closing in on her. I知 running that way to help but I知 a good two hundred yards away. Luckily her two big dogs were smarter than her and turned and faced off the coyote. It trailed them all the way to the parking lot where we got in our cars and left.

Now that痴 an Easter morning I won稚 be forgetting.

detroit2786 04-05-2010 04:53 PM

Coyotes are becoming a problem up here as well. I live in a dense suburb close to the freeway.

A pack of three went after my neighbor's 80 lb lab mix the other night.

I have a 90 lb rot and I make sure to stand with him when on the leash, and in addition to my 9mm I carry pepper spray when we go on walks. Coyote's are new to the area, and my biggest concern is the young children running around the neighborhood.

That lady almost made a grave mistake running. From what I have read, the best thing you can do is challenge the little bastards.

Fun Easter though!

Dillinger 04-05-2010 04:58 PM

Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of areas. About a month or two back a town here had a child attacked by what was assumed was a coyote. The kids dog and his mom scared the "animal" away and the kid was taken to the hospital, presumably for rabbies shots and the like.

The locals got together and did a hunt and wiped out about 12 or 15 of them, but this is an area that you wouldn't expect coyotes to just wander into town from the woods.

I am all for thinning that heard with prejudice. Those things can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if left unchecked.

Glad you and the family are okay Jo.

JD

dunerunner 04-05-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 264596)
Dancing with Coyotes.

Makes you wonder if the Yote wasn't rabid!

Brad 04-05-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 264596)
Dancing with Coyotes.

So I take my Dogs to the park yesterday at 6:30 am like every weekend. This time we were at the baseball fields. Four large diamonds together surrounded by the wildlife area. As we are walking the dogs charge of into the centre of the fields. I look up and see a coyote crouching on the grass. I call my dogs back and as they turn the coyote goes after them. My dogs are 65 and 70 pounds. This coyote was at best 45, but it was chasing my dogs like it was planning to kill. I run out into the field waving my arms and yelling. I get within 30 ft before this coyote breaks off and heads the other way. As the dogs and I walk off this thing starts stalking us. I have the GF hold the dogs and start stalking the coyote. Now of course California in their wisdom will not allow me to have a gun to defend myself so I知 chasing this thing with just a Cold Steel Recon. I知 wondering if I知 going to have to go Tarzan on this coyote and try to kill it with just my knife. Finally after a little back and forth it heads across the field. I keep an eye on it and see it is now stalking a woman with her two dogs. She sees it and starts to run. The coyote is closing in on her. I知 running that way to help but I知 a good two hundred yards away. Luckily her two big dogs were smarter than her and turned and faced off the coyote. It trailed them all the way to the parking lot where we got in our cars and left.

Now that痴 an Easter morning I won稚 be forgetting.

Damn California Gun Laws!

Here in Missouri you would get in trouble for NOT shooting the coyote

My Mom (57 years old) got cornered by 3 yotes a while back about 300 yards away from her house. Mom hit 1 in the neck with a .357 sig (body recovered 30 yards away) while the others decided to be out like fat girls in dodgeball.

Gojubrian 04-05-2010 09:03 PM

That's strange behavior for a lone yote, daytime, stalking alone,etc....

I've seen lots of them around here and getting more frequent every year. My old lab was attacked by 4 or 5 of them once ,but he managed to fight them off. They need to be thinned off for sure.

Jo da Plumbr 04-06-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 264745)
That's strange behavior for a lone yote, daytime, stalking alone,etc....

I've seen lots of them around here and getting more frequent every year. My old lab was attacked by 4 or 5 of them once ,but he managed to fight them off. They need to be thinned off for sure.

I've heard you can't ever thin out the coyote population very much. That the females just give birth to a greater number of pups if you take out very many.
Is that true or just urban legend?

lonyaeger 04-06-2010 12:08 AM

It's the eggs.....we have to go after their eggs.

Jo da Plumbr 04-06-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 264849)
It's the eggs.....we have to go after their eggs.

Let's scramble some up at the mini meet:rolleyes:

Car54 04-06-2010 12:10 AM

Jo,

You might want to let your wildlife division know about the incident. They might want to see if they can trap it before it hurts or kills someone or their pets. It's obvious that it doesn't have a lot of natural fear anymore.