You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Daily Devotional

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #1071
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2530 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Thank you, guys - and you are right, Art -

For today:

John Wesley always preferred the middle and lower classes to the wealthy. He said, "If I might choose, I would still, as I have done up till now, preach the gospel to the poor." Preaching in a Monktown church, a large old, ruinous building, he said, "I suppose it has rarely had such a congregation during this century. Many of them were gay, genteel people. So I spoke on the first elements of the gospel, but I was still out of their depth. Oh, how hard it is to be shallow enough for a polite audience!"
Charles Spurgeon said that, and it is recorded in The Quotable Spurgeon.
Brother Spurgeon makes a very good point here.

The Bible deals with the difficulty of reaching the wealthy:

Mark 10:23-25 (KJV);
“And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

And it deals with the fact that ALL are to be preached the Good News:

Rom 1:14-16 (KJV);
“I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”

But we have all experienced problems beyond these, haven’t we? We have found folks that DO have our common culture, so we should be able to communicate with them. We have found folks that have not let riches go to their heads, and are not consumed by the love of money. But we also find another sort – we find those that just don’t get it! No matter how we try to present the gospel, the idea of someone dyeing for their sins is simply beyond their ability to fathom. It is on these, the most frustrating ones, that we seem to spend the most time. But we must – we cannot be willing that ANY should perish!

Christ told me to arm myself.
If you want me disarmed, Molon Labe!
RedRiverII Likes This 
Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #1072
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 195 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 92

" I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." I cannot name the song or author. During my military service or shortly afterward I was glad to learn how ignorant I was. I was equally glad to know that for each instance of ignorance, I could solve it and become less ignorant.

In the long run I decided there only so much info I could cram into my head trying to not be ignorant. There is no shield like the shield of Christ. I will always have areas of weakness and in many areas. I accept Jesus as my Lord and protector.

Thank you for this day Lord.
AmPaTerry Likes This 
Old 05-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #1073
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5155 Times on 3221 Posts

Red: it was Bob Dylan's song 'my back pages'. It's interesting that he started his career stating "he had no religion, and no theology". He eventually came around. He was asked in an interview, "Bob, you have said you have done everything in life. What do you possibly have to look forward to?"

His answer: "Salvation. Just plain salvation."
People Like This 
Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #1074

Amen, Primer1, Amen.
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #1075

I love this forum for many reasons, well this section anyway.

God Restores and Blesses Job
42:10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.

42:11Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and everyone an earring of gold.

42:12 So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than the beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.

42:13 He had also seven sons and three daughters.

42:14 And he called the first Jemima: and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Keren-happuch.

42:15 And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.

42:16 After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons' sons, even four generations.

42:16 So Job died, being old and full of days.

I just tried to fill in a spot for us that has become important to me. I'm no AmPa but wanted to share his load, so to speak. I can't tell you how many times I've quit in life and wanted to be at an end. But I continued to put one foot in front of the other and grunt onward. Since I first learned of Job I kept it close to my chest and received a sort of hope and that I should thank the LORD at all times for all things. That is not to say I had it easy, but I did thank him. Sometimes after thanking the Lord I added " You've got some sense of humor LORD." My take away from the story is to not mistake the beginning for the end.
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #1076
Forum Chaplain

Great conversation, guys -

'Did you notice that God did not take away Job's wife?

It is because afterward, he restored everything DOUBLE.

God would not ask a man to live with two wives.

(Ducking, running - - )

RedRiverII Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #1077
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6825 Times on 3818 Posts
Likes Given: 5355

LOL. Well said AmPa.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960
AmPaTerry Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #1078
Forum Chaplain

Judy and I love nature, and we have spent a lot of time out in the woods observing and listening. Nature is not silent. It seems like there is always some insect buzzing, bird singing or other creatures voice or activity adding to the general background of noise. But every now and then, if you have spent much time in the woods, everything falls completely silent. The birds stop singing, the small creatures cease their scampering around, the insects grow mute, and you find yourself in total silence. The foolish person might, at such times, relax and think “My, what a pleasant silence! Everything is so still I can hear my heartbeat!” The intelligent person will not relax and enjoy this silence, because there has to be a cause for it! There has to be something dangerous afoot to cause all these creatures to fall silent. They are trying to keep from being noticed, in an effort to preserve their life.
Sometimes, we may see the bear, big cat or other predator that caused it, while at other times we may never know what it was that was near to us.
The sinner's peace is very much like this silence we experience in nature. It may seem pleasant, but that is short lived. The tempest is coming. The lightning will soon come crashing through the silence. All nature will tremble before that storm. The sinner should not rejoice in his calm, for the hurricane of wrath is coming, the tribulation that can destroy him.

The peace and calm which some lost people are experiencing right now is indeed the calm before the storm! I pray they realize it before the storm breaks upon their heads, and it is too late to seek shelter in the everlasting arms –

Jeremiah 12:1-2, 14 (NCV);

“LORD, when I bring my case to you, you are always right. But I want to ask you about the justice you give. Why are evil people successful? Why do dishonest people have such easy lives? You have put the evil people here like plants with strong roots. They grow and produce fruit. With their mouths they speak well of you, but their hearts are really far away from you.
This is what the LORD said to me: “Here is what I will do to all my wicked neighbors who take the land I gave my people Israel. I will pull them up and throw them out of their land. And I will pull up the people of Judah from among them.”